**hilti drill replaces the spanner**

joking aside watch this space, i can nearly guarantee that in about 5 years or more, there will be a dobule toe board as standard and like we do handrail at 950mm now and a bubble down, (easier for us), will also be a bubble up so thats a triple handrail, and there will be a hard hat, which will be something like a crash helmet, as has a visor on it, and cant fall off, what do you all think?

Essex think your bang on there,I personally think any person or trade should where a harness when working on scaffolds for there own safety/they will know what wearing a harness all day 7 days a week feels like.

I spoke with the Man from Hilti this afternoon, my first question was: is the Drill designed specifically for Scaffolding Operations, the answer was no, which immediately started alarms bells ringing, if it was not designed for applying Scaffold Component parts then it is not wholly ergonomically designed fit for purpose.

My Second question was and Dave Abe expressed his concerns in an earlier post---can the Drill deliver the Torque Value allocated in BS ?, the answer was that Torque Setting Number 1 delivered 116 Nm and Torque Setting Number 2 delivered 155 Nm, the afore mentioned Torque Values are therefore out of compliance with BS 1139 and most of the Scaffolding Service Companies Scaffold Procedures and Specifications ( 50 Nm ).

In my humble opinion there IS a place for a Power Operated Torque Scaffolding Tool, HOWEVER, lets get it right, lets not settle for an adaption of a Drill designed for other tasks.

An ergonomicly Designed Tool that will comply with BS requirements could be a good freind to the Scaffolder on Task Specific Scaffolding Operations.

I wish too feck there had been one 38 years ago and my feckin wrists widni be sore 2day...

IMy Second question was and Dave Abe expressed his concerns in an earlier post---can the Drill deliver the Torque Value allocated in BS ?, the answer was that Torque Setting Number 1 delivered 116 Nm and Torque Setting Number 2 delivered 155 Nm, the afore mentioned Torque Values are therefore out of compliance with BS 1139 and most of the Scaffolding Service Companies Scaffold Procedures and Specifications ( 50 Nm ).

I checked on the torque specs. after reading this post last week and noticed they were too high for scaffold fittings. I pity the poor scaffolder armed only with a spanner who comes to strip a scaffold erected using these impact wrenches :laugh:

I would think that if one of the manufacturers supplies a tool with lower torque values (which I shouldn't see as being particularly hard from a design and manufacturing point of view) it would be a popular item. And a lower torque value should mean less power required giving a longer charge from the battery - result :bigsmile:

Mark ISL

My thought exactly---if the Torque Value could be reduced to the optimum level for deployment it would increase the Battery life, furthermore, it would maintain the integrity and reliability of the component, after all these Torque Values are set for a purpose, Engineers have set up Test Rigs to ascertain yield thresholds which in turn dictate the accepted forces applied.

HOWEVER, I would retain the 155 Nm for the purposes of dismantling given that the threads are subject to environmental exposure = oxidation of the threads, debris ingress and damage to the threads which as we all know will require additional force to over come.

I cannot see the Flip over Manually Operated Scaffolding Spanner becoming obsolete---however, for Task Specific Operations, a Hand Help Power Tool could be a VERY good addition---Lets hope that the Manufacturers are taking notice, there maybe a massive un-tapped Market out there, it would need some research and development, however, with joint consultation from the Members of this Forum and with time and Patience it may come about.

Any thought,s Bro's ???

It's ok for striking. Try a bit of a technical erectin and u will end up throwing it. It's for the kids mate.

Aye---would be the Dogs Baz for the strikin---Im lookin for a universal snap-on socket---could help in tight spots ?...

Aye---would be the Dogs Baz for the strikin---Im lookin for a universal snap-on socket---could help in tight spots ?...

panasonic 14.4volt impact wrench EY541LN2S 3 DIFF TURQUE SETTINGS HIGH 185N.m MED 85N.m LOW 50N.m have a look at it

Last edited:
what is the recomended torque setting then

has anyone considered WHITE FINGER VIBRATION,after a coule of years using one of these drills you wont be able to lift a pint never mind a 21" tube.
its a good idea but needs a whole load more research.
BRITISH JOBS FOR BRITISH WORKERS

---------- Post added at 02:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:08 PM ----------

Vibration white finger before i get corrected(too many sherbits last night);)

I don't wish to get into any mud slinging, but as far as i'm concerned, this thread shows how ridiculous the industry is becoming when scaffolders are using impact wrenches instead of spanners. Just wait until there's an accident on job erected using an impact drill, then we're all forced to carry a torque wrench too to ensure every fitting is fastened to the recommend setting.

i'm all for anything that will improve our "lot", but i think this is just another step all the road to a total nanny culture in the industry.

has anyone considered WHITE FINGER VIBRATION,after a coule of years using one of these drills you wont be able to lift a pint never mind a 21" tube.

---------- Post added at 02:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:08 PM ----------

Good point. Might end up drinking a pint with a straw.

hi daftscaff. very valid point made there. looks like more paperwork 4 us to fill out about our exposure time nd duration per hour,we can use these tools.

what a load of shi#e i have used mine for hangers, shores, gantrys for kids come on now you need to get a life and stop stereotyping people for trying to make our job more easy.

im all for them scaff2010 i say fittings are better abit tighter than loose. lets face it there is alot of scaffys not fastning them up tight enough.

i am glad that there is sumone else who understands the benefits of useing impact wrenches i think it was a huge step when the owners of lyndons went out and bought some of there lads impact wrenches i have felt the benefits of mine i would love to see a impact wrench made for scaffolding if hilti or Bosch see a market they might make one so if we quit with the childish comments regarding them i am not saying people are not entitled to a opinion but if we stick together we might end up with a product made for scaffolders desinged with the help of scaffolders!

a lot are going mad that the wrenches are tightning the fittings to tight but what about the spanners not tightning them at all the amount of jobs ive been to strip and the fittings are nipped up with one turn of the spanner is unreal im all for a wrench that is made to scaffolding standards with the right turque

very good point jamie , how tight is right lads ? i worked for a firm and the lads wanted to cut down my spanner, and when i asked them how tight fittings should be they said finger tight then 2 half turns . i always pull until i cant pull no more so whats right ? i would welcom any tool that makes my life easier or makes me money but i can think of a lot of situations where these tools wont be practical,but also on say a big birdcage they would be fast. :)

Introduction

Brother Scaffolders

Attached is an Introduction in support of a Hand Held Powered Tool for Use Within the Scaffold Industry.

Documents: Health, Safety, Quality, Environment, Fiscal are to follow.

Attachments

• STARS Introduction.doc
    23 KB · Views: 33

and why would there be an accident? How is it ridiculous a friend of mine had to retire after 25 years working for one of the largest firms in the uk because of a repetitive strain injury he ended up getting a large payout so from a firms point of view its more safe more productive from a scaffolders point of veiw its quicker so you earn more it is kinder on the body!

I've never used them so can't really comment but what I would say is that anything that makes it easier on the body can only be a good thing. Anything new can take a while for the benefits to filter down to everyone. As for torque values, I always thought that was set by the length of the handle on your spanner. "Give me a lever long enough and I will lift the world"

Hsqef

Attached is a Breif Summary Profile on the perceived benefits that a Hand Help Powered Spanner May Bring to the Industry in General and the Scaffolder in Particular.

Comments please...

Attachments

• STARS Health.doc
    22.5 KB · Views: 14
  • STARS Safety.doc
    22.5 KB · Views: 7
  • STARS Quality.doc
    23.5 KB · Views: 3
  • STARS Environment.doc
    23 KB · Views: 1
  • STARS Fiscal.doc
    23.5 KB · Views: 7
Brother Scaffolders

Attached is an Introduction in support of a Hand Held Powered Tool for Use Within the Scaffold Industry.

Documents: Health, Safety, Quality, Environment, Fiscal are to follow.

Hi Gary,

Good to see you back on the forum. I know from earlier posts this is your baby, so will defer to your experience in this matter.

Top Bottom