harness.

We get told we have to clip on at the first lift and the reason is to keep your head from hitting the ground as most of the damage in a fall is to the head.
Where the is no sence no feeling didnt go down well

We get told we have to clip on at the first lift and the reason is to keep your head from hitting the ground as most of the damage in a fall is to the head.
Where the is no sence no feeling didnt go down well

I think thats Capes policy as well Andy. As this is not the guidelines it would be interesting to see how it would stand up in court if someone had an accident

how about we all sign a waiver .burn the harnesses and if we fall its our own fault . i sign a waiver every time i fight and im sure its the same with jumping out of aeroplanes and the like . if the safety equiptment is provided and we choose not to use it then its our own fault .i have never seen a harness save anyone although i have seen the pictures of some poor tw*ts genitals hanging out.how many scaffs on here have been saved by a harness . how many have been hurt by getting one caught ? i wish i was born 30 year earlier so i didnt have to put up with all this bullsh!t . i could be sitting in eith my pipe and slippers laughing at my many children having to put up with this politically correct idiocity . the whole industry is run by a bunch of idiot anORACs who have no idea . as you probably guessed its sunday im drunk and my teams been beat again . i ll look at my posts in the morning and think what the hell , but i hope you lot get a laugh at my expense hahaha

Some jobs I have to wear one.

Most of the work I have done over the last few weeks has been house bashing. Not had to wear it, no back ache. Then had two days on a site where we had to put them on, no more than four lifts up my back is now killing me. Would love to see any research as to how long in a day we should be carrying all this extra weight!!

Oh yes & I am p****d right off with getting snagged on stuff as you walk around!!

:evil:

I have also seen the photo of the busted baw bag , did make me wince . I have never seen a harness save a potential fall . On a working at height course ( another one ching ching ) the guy showed us a video from Norway , two guys fixing a crane . The jib broke with one guy attached to it , he died on impact the other guy was attached to the main frame and was left dangling for twenty minutes , on rescue they thought it unwise to release the tension on the harness in case the rush of blood killed him . Unfortunately the lack of movement of blood was the real issue . The guy died one hour after rescue .
Always remember a harness may save your life on the other hand it has the potential to kill you , the upshot is watch what you attach to and DON`T FALL .
hi scaffarobbo. totally agree with u there,always be careful wot u clip too !!!

how about we all sign a waiver .burn the harnesses and if we fall its our own fault . i sign a waiver every time i fight and im sure its the same with jumping out of aeroplanes and the like . if the safety equiptment is provided and we choose not to use it then its our own fault .i have never seen a harness save anyone although i have seen the pictures of some poor tw*ts genitals hanging out.how many scaffs on here have been saved by a harness . how many have been hurt by getting one caught ? i wish i was born 30 year earlier so i didnt have to put up with all this bullsh!t . i could be sitting in eith my pipe and slippers laughing at my many children having to put up with this politically correct idiocity . the whole industry is run by a bunch of idiot anORACs who have no idea . as you probably guessed its sunday im drunk and my teams been beat again . i ll look at my posts in the morning and think what the hell , but i hope you lot get a laugh at my expense hahaha

Doesn't really matter what you sign allan, no firm or individual is aloud to opt out of health and safety.

The HSE require a harness to be worn when working above 2m in height (guideline).
Apparently once fallen the person has 20 minutes in the harness, which if an emergency services are called, will respond to an RTA first and the fallen contractor second!
Harnesses are required to be inspected twice a year, which is also not known in the industry (or not adhered to)

The HSE require a harness to be worn when working above 2m in height (guideline).
Apparently once fallen the person has 20 minutes in the harness, which if an emergency services are called, will respond to an RTA first and the fallen contractor second!
Harnesses are required to be inspected twice a year, which is also not known in the industry (or not adhered to)

Hi MorganLaw,

The old 2 meter rule is long gone, the law now says "Where ever there is risk." That means any and all height. As for the harnesses not being inspected by industry as a whole, we bought 4 harnesses at the turn of the year all of which are lying in my garden shed as they failed there very first inspection. I reckon it was more to do with companies trying to get rid of their stock as more and more people are turning to twin tailed rigs, but I wasn't willing to take any chances and binned them any way and replaced them with new immediately. Here is one firm that takes it's responsibilities very seriously.

Last edited:

if you have done a risk accessement and the firm have done there job a rescue plan should be in order at height whilst the emergency service is being
called ie rescue retreval extra boarded platforms to compensate an emergency but as these cost more time and money are normally left out.

Morgan Law

I think it is time for you to check the facts before you post on this forum,your knowledge of current legislation and best practice is to say the least remiss

http://www.hse.gov.uk/construction/pdf/fallsqa.pdf

the old guidelines were 2m, however they have been removed/amended. simply because they have been amended, does not mean we ignore the old rulings. In fact many insurance companies will impose a condition of the policy that Safety Harnesses be worn above a certain height - generally being 2m.
In respect of the inspection of the harness this is HSE requirement.

Detailed Inspections

It is recomended that there is a detailed inspection at least every 6 month

For frequently used equipment it is sugested that this is increased to at least every 3 month, particulary when the equipment is used in ardous environments (eg demolition, steel erecting, scaffolding, steel skeletal, masts/towers with edge protusions)

Detailed Inspections should be recorded

Detailed Inspections

It is recomended that there is a detailed inspection at least every 6 month

For frequently used equipment it is sugested that this is increased to at least every 3 month, particulary when the equipment is used in ardous environments (eg demolition, steel erecting, scaffolding, steel skeletal, masts/towers with edge protusions)

Detailed Inspections should be recorded

Good point, it is suggested that this be increased, and this is more led from the Employers inspection regime.

LOLER1998 advised that inspection for lifting equipment (harnesses fall into this) is 12 month (BSEN635) however goes onto state an item that lifts a person is at least every 6 months.

Wear and tear does occur quicker if an item is used more frequently, for example a forklift has inspection every 6 months, however if this is overly used, the inspection can be reduced to 3 - same goes for Harnesses

On Construction sites, it is the Main Contractors or your employer which may reduce this to 3 months.

We do 3 month inspection which is the norm for all good scaffold companys,yes 6 months is correct but reccomendations(not guide lines) states every 3 for frequent users
We are finding at present befor starting work on new sites product history cards,harness certification with proof of purchase(5 year max use for harness)are being requested.
Need to refresh my harness inspection ticket AGAIN(3rd time).1 day £175.get in,not

We get the lads to check every morning, and i have to inspect them every month before they go out and check they have them on and they fit correctly

n a bet they check m every time 2,a know what you are saying "befor use" like fittings etc but i dint,if you go to toilet and then put it back on it should get checked again.

Top Bottom