harness.

The point is that the powers that be have realised that despite constant training, supervision etc the workforce out here are liable to stand on guardrails etc so if they have a harness, dont clip on and subsequently fall off by their own stupidity all that is reasonably practicable to keep them safe has been done.

I wasn't being disparaging to how anybody handles keeping the guy's safe, but some of these incentives seem crazy to me. Surely reasonably practicable would be a platform at the correct height, fitted with hand rails.

I wasn't being disparaging to how anybody handles keeping the guy's safe, but some of these incentives seem crazy to me. Surely reasonably practicable would be a platform at the correct height, fitted with hand rails.

I agree.
Unfortunately the safety awareness of the workers who come from countries where life is cheap is non existent. The intelligence levels are similar to 6 year old children. Imagine thousands of 6 year olds on a site in the UK!!!

a lot of scaffs hate em,. and yes they can be a pain.but like i say you only get one chance. amazing how many scaffs say check my carabina.when an awkward. job comes up i may be olde school but not stupid.
hi dico. totally agree with you there. they maybe a pain,but you get used to 'em. all sites l've been on,it's no harness no job !!

Had tool box a few months ago showing what happend when a scaff fell, didnt have it on right and and his crown jewels were de bagged will post it 2morrow.
See were your go.
Has anyone seen or had a fall while hooked on

Had tool box a few months ago showing what happend when a scaff fell, didnt have it on right and and his crown jewels were de bagged will post it 2morrow.
See were your go.

Seen the scrotum picture, not nice, but have never had a real life situation with anyone falling and dangling and having to rescue them, and may it long continue:wondering:

I have also seen the photo of the busted baw bag , did make me wince . I have never seen a harness save a potential fall . On a working at height course ( another one ching ching ) the guy showed us a video from Norway , two guys fixing a crane . The jib broke with one guy attached to it , he died on impact the other guy was attached to the main frame and was left dangling for twenty minutes , on rescue they thought it unwise to release the tension on the harness in case the rush of blood killed him . Unfortunately the lack of movement of blood was the real issue . The guy died one hour after rescue .
Always remember a harness may save your life on the other hand it has the potential to kill you , the upshot is watch what you attach to and DON`T FALL .

See were your go.

fell off a wall at a water treatment plant as i forgot i was clip on and lost my
balance fell over side 20ft and smashed in to wall managed to get back over wall if i hadent of had harness on i would of broken my legs or fcuk my internal
organs up or worse.on capes were supposed to ave a rescue plan put in place
before we start work as weve all been trained.the sad thing is it never gets put into action.the only time ive seen an action plan put in place is if your on
a confined space job or a job over water or hanger canterliver.the day to day stuff no ones bothers.at the end of the day you are your own safety officer.

Just seen the action plan in the new CMS
Three more files and updated every month.

I will use anything that will keep me safer, although most people seem to think a fall arrest is ok to use on lower lifts, when in most cases you will hit the ground before the fall arrest is deployed...I've worked on loads of sites where they insist that you clip on on the 1st lift, when a fall arrest won't do anything to prevent you hitting the ground.. I think a fixed length lanyard is the only thing useable on 1st lift scaffolds, yet gaffers turn a blind eye to this, so long as you are clipped on..

i got chucked off a job for not clipping on

the lift was 2ft off the floor

tried to explain that i would hit the floor with the lanyard coiled on me back

but wouldnt have none of it, use a shorter lanyard

how do you argue with that

Shorter lanyard, just means less movement guys. SG4:05 says clip on at 4mtrs or above, yet the manufacturers recommendations on a 1.75mtr lanyard state 6.25 mtr as minimum safe clearence.:huh:

paddy rather have shorter lanyard for a period than get the old he ho.do you know if the shorter lanyard has been considered for this purpose paddy?if not could you maybe try find out please,i think its a smashing idea lad.

paddy rather have shorter lanyard for a period than get the old he ho.do you know if the shorter lanyard has been considered for this purpose paddy?if not could you maybe try find out please,i think its a smashing idea lad.

Hi Mate
In order to use a shorter lanyard i have used a 'Barracuda Manyard' 1.75 m, however it is elasticated, so no trailing, and the Barracuda clips on to a std so it can always be above head height. There are pics of this on the Scaffolder study group link. hope this helps mate.

---------- Post added at 09:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:04 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 09:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:15 PM ----------

Barracuda.

barracuda004.jpg

paddy you naughty boy..that pic definately shows you working on 2 boards .....the scaffold police are on their way..lol

elasticated manyard on the Barracuda

barracuda007.jpg

---------- Post added at 09:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 PM ----------

paddy you naughty boy..that pic definately shows you working on 2 boards .....the scaffold police are on their way..lol

Bigun i was just lowering my 3rd board when i felt a photoshoot moment coming on:embarrest:

elasticated manyard on the Barracuda

barracuda007.jpg

---------- Post added at 09:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 PM ----------

Bigun i was just lowering my 3rd board when i felt a photoshoot moment coming on:embarrest:

Is that a loading bay I can see there paddy, hope you had design input, there also seems to be no single guardrails on that 1st lift :D

Do as i say, not do as i do:eek:

---------- Post added at 09:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:56 PM ----------

hence the barracuda,lol. there is a single handrail round the 4 blocks on the 1st lift though.

Top Bottom