Hand rail height

OK saw a guys years ago climb up the hanger loosen the double ,knock the bolt out ,the cup caught on the tube ,he then slid down and unhooked it .
Don't try it either!

I've seen that too Nick. You don't know Bernie May do you?

Yes it will hang on the gate just like you have suggested and go off for a cuppa… but it will not hang on the gate if it is hit with pure brute force will it... I don’t think so... and where do you put a kicker lift on a hanger. If you’re going over the side you will shoot out with a beam and drop down so your hanger is caught twice. You would have a kicker on your horse carrying the beam…

Getting back to your double. Most hangers on oil rigs are built on the underside of the decking. In order to drop down you have to strap a tube/butt with sk and then drop your hanger off it... Meaning it’s only caught on one double and checked on the top. Where is your kicker lift here?
So if that hanger was to get hit with brute force and the double opened the tube would kick out. It will not stay there on the gate. Trust me...I have seen it happen..

The kicker lift is in reality the transoms on doubles and the ledgers at the bottom of the drop.
Please refer to the previous poster. For sure the gate of the fitting will hold even if the bolt is knocked out. Unless the fitting has a dropped gate then it should be quarantined.

In reality call it what you prefer. If it’s only one lift it is your working lift not a kicker. Which would be checked underneath with tubes and cross bracing put in…

---------- Post added at 03:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:22 PM ----------

So what you’re saying now is all sticky willies should be quarantined

A hanger is only different from an independent or tower because of what is actually supporting it. A hanger from above and a tower and independent from the ground.
When you are doing your 16m heavy duty independent scaffold over the weekend try boarding out the kicker. Then you will have transoms on doubles, ledgers on doubles and board supporting transoms (or putlogs) on singles so exactly the same as on a hanger. Just banging on check fittings underneath the ledgers just doesnt cut it i am afraid.
While you are at it put a double on upside down on a tube and hang it off any ledger you will see it stays there. Obviously you wont be short of anything or have any materials left over if you follow my gear list I sent you earlier so you may have to temprarily remove one of the ledger braces to try it.

A hanger is only different from an independent or tower because of what is actually supporting it. A hanger from above and a tower and independent from the ground.
When you are doing your 16m heavy duty independent scaffold over the weekend try boarding out the kicker. Then you will have transoms on doubles, ledgers on doubles and board supporting transoms (or putlogs) on singles so exactly the same as on a hanger. Just banging on check fittings underneath the ledgers just doesnt cut it i am afraid.
While you are at it put a double on upside down on a tube and hang it off any ledger you will see it stays there. Obviously you wont be short of anything or have any materials left over if you follow my gear list I sent you earlier so you may have to temprarily remove one of the ledger braces to try it.

I am not going to argue with you. But I for one would not depend on a gate on a fitting to hold a hanger up if the fitting was to open. It will stay there if it is checked with another tube on the top going from one hanger to the other. But in some cases it is not viable especially on the underside of a plat form in a tight space...

On the working lift on a hanger it would be checked with Aberdeen’s not with doubles like you taught I suggested...

I see you mentioned singles also. When I built hangers I never used singles at all on my working level…the scaffold was measured for doubles to come off your standards and small butts put on your ledgers for the transoms in the middle of the bay and tied underneath also with a tube to stop the butt kicking out…

If you feel you can do better regarding the other thread with the tower. Feel free to write your input to the thread or better still get your one of your secretary’s to do it

Sorry forgot you had only done hangers in Holland.Sounds like a Van de Panne effort.
And for your information I only have one secretary and one QS here. Certainly a step down in staffing levels from my previous employment in Australia. Still times are hard one must tighten ones belt I suppose.

OK saw a guys years ago climb up the hanger loosen the double ,knock the bolt out ,the cup caught on the tube ,he then slid down and unhooked it .
Don't try it either!

Sometimes that's the only way to retrieve some of them droppers . A real chore if you can't reach the suspended point and have to climb up and knock the double out and take that 2 inch drop into the gate , arse nipping sometimes !

---------- Post added 7th December 2012 at 12:06 AM ---------- Previous post was 6th December 2012 at 11:58 PM ----------

Defiantly don't do it with a f--ked burton fitting ( drop gate)

Jonnybe good why have you deleted your posts on this subject?

---------- Post added at 06:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:25 AM ----------

Please replace the one where you said about punching short butts up off the ledger to take the board supporting transoms. I liked that one.

---------- Post added at 07:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:24 AM ----------

ya obviously don't know the legal requirments as it is no higher than 950mm. :blink1:

Neither do you. Its at least 950mm.

Hmm punching butts off ledgers to take the board supporting transoms ,I might give that a whirl and see how works out .But then I will probably give my head a shake and not bother.

Ha ha yeah you would not last long,but now you mention it I can just about recall seeing it in the Dutch sector

Correct.950 being the minimum. What height are system hr's??

I had always assumed that when they decided to update the standards for T&F they picked 950mm as that was the height of all system scaffolds h/r. If they had made it a different height then all system scaffolds would have had to be scrapped and replaced with new.
I will have a measure up when I get a chance.

Thats how I understood it as well hswt. the euro's wanted it set at a metre.but it meant changes to exsting plant including mewps.

Top Bottom