Famous Scaffolders Thread?

What about Bob the builder.

He can fix it... or is it Wendy.

Theres a builder in the Waltham Chase area calls himself Bob the Builder, I worked on one of his extension jobs, couldnt get that sodding tune out of my head all day.

Glasgow Born and Bread, John ( Cowboy ) McCormack Boxer at the Russian Olympics---turned Pro, Light Heavy Weight, faught Terry Downs amongst others---worked with him Offshore in the mid-80z---a pure Gentleman...

Glasgow Born and Bread, Mcmillan Brothers, Boxers...

Bill Oddie

BILL ODDIE may have twitched to his heart’s content as presenter of Springwatch but the grizzly old bird lover says he still hankers for a somewhat less sedentary job from his pre-fame years.
Before becoming a household name with The Goodies Bill paid the rent with a spot of scaffolding and still gets misty-eyed at the memory.
“Of my first jobs scaffolding is the one I’m most proud of,” he recalls. “Every time I see scaffolding I feel a twinge of nostalgia.”

Short Lifter then

Matt Skelton Boxer and Thai Boxer was a scaffhttp://www.scaffoldersforum.com/images/smilies/cry.gif
Tufty and I worked with Matt Skelton for a while ,we were striking a base out in Milton Keynes and Tufty slid a standard through his hands with concrete 1/2 way up it. As a result it over balanced and hit Matt on the head. Tufty laughed and said "should have had your helmet on" 10 minutes when we were collecting the base boards I heard a sound like a cricket bat hitting a ball. Matt had hit Tufty on the head with a base board ,breaking it in two, Tufty was looking dazed but still standing,Matt said "Should have been wearing your hat Tufty"

“Every time I see scaffolding I feel a twinge of nostalgia.”

Funny, evertime I see scaffolding I get a twinge of arthritis..:blink1:

Scott Gamma, ex British heavyweight boxing champion from Pembroke is a scaffolder i met working on a site down that way.

BILL ODDIE may have twitched to his heart’s content as presenter of Springwatch but the grizzly old bird lover says he still hankers for a somewhat less sedentary job from his pre-fame years.
Before becoming a household name with The Goodies Bill paid the rent with a spot of scaffolding and still gets misty-eyed at the memory.
“Of my first jobs scaffolding is the one I’m most proud of,” he recalls. “Every time I see scaffolding I feel a twinge of nostalgia.”

Short Lifter then

Yeah that was on Bishop's Britain wasn't it?

mcmillans are my fam there were the 7 bro's all amature boxers till late 60's then john, don, angus all came pro's ... all in 6 of them became pro and 1 moved to south africa(i think). they worked on the oil rigs for years aswell

funnily enough i never thought of that lol... im sorry to say thou it aint, i was kinda hoping there would be people on here that could tell me a bit more bout there boxing and work history as one of the brothers have lost there memory now and trying to do searches online to find more out about them just to try show him some old memories or friends x

Worked with most of the McMillans on the Brents years ago. Funny as fk all of them, even more so when all together. Last worked with John on the LTFD onthe Delta i think it was. That was with Salamis. John's eyes were going and i used to laugh when he used to come down the ladder with about 6 feet of tape measure trailing and say, get us a board that length son, then disappear back up the ladder. We were with a wee guy from Carnoustie called Curly something. Curly used to own a petshop there at one time i think.

Worked with most of the McMillans on the Brents years ago. Funny as fk all of them, even more so when all together. Last worked with John on the LTFD onthe Delta i think it was. That was with Salamis. John's eyes were going and i used to laugh when he used to come down the ladder with about 6 feet of tape measure trailing and say, get us a board that length son, then disappear back up the ladder. We were with a wee guy from Carnoustie called Curly something. Curly used to own a petshop there at one time i think.
Worked with Gerry & John on the Balder UIE Greenock mid ninties i think..Gerry always had a football card to sell for the boys football team he ran,always had a smile ,,,we were on night shift ,scaffold was fully encapsulated,,some gaffer caught the wee man gettin the head down and bagged him last time ive seen him {legend}..worked with Donny on the forties field early 2000 for a few year, keen golfer ,teetotal and mad for the celtic,,,went back there about 5 year ago and he,s doin deck crew now,,Good lad ...shame about the team he supports,,,lol.

I read a while back about Danny Watts the Scaffolder who is one of David Haye's sparring partners - DANNY WATTS has gone from driving a £250 old banger to a £50,000 Mercedes, thanks to David Haye. | News Of The World

I got me think thinking which other celebrities / well known people had a past career in scaffolding?
Im sure i read somewhere that the Gallagher brothers noel and liam were scaffs with there dad before they hit the big time , dunno if its true ?

Liam was a roadie for the Inspiral Carpets,he may have done a bit then...Bet he never had a ticket though..

worked with Terry Chard who took Jerry Coonie from America 12 rounds but lost on points,if you ever meet him ,his first words will be alright kid.Terry is as dry as fook.:bigsmile:

Top Bottom