Bircham newton cecol scaffs 1990-1992

Worked with georges brother Wilbur a few times offshore,George mackay worked in Brunei for abscaff for a while I think.HE was my instructor at birch am in 1981-82 very good at his job.

Last edited:
I as at Bircham Newton in 1985-86 Class group S44 I think!!! I stayed in (prison cell block) H and for the first 2 months I had the biggest room to my self until on night after a night in Kings Lynn a few lads came back with a few tinnies and get a bit out of hand a lad from Glasgow (John McNabb) and a lad from Stockport (Scottie) set fire to my curtains and my bedding, I had to explain what had gone on without getting the lads in trouble, I wiped up a storey and the next day I got moved to the smallest room in the block near the entrance door (6ft by 6ft square) and a big fine. I never really got my own back. but it was a laugh.....

i was there in 91-92 my names leigh smith my instructer was george i think he died a couple of years back:sad:

i was at bircham in 96 for 2 week induction, then back in 97 for 2 week part 1 and 2 week part 2 and george was my instructor every time, i thought he was a great lad

I was there 92-93 in S85 same gang as Scott Harrison
We had George for advanced. Great instructor.

Yeah George was brilliant like. We had him for our exams too, practical and written.
We had Barry the Londoner , big bloke !
Wilf rings a bell, was he the one he used to go diving ?
Well whichever instructor that was brought his gear in one night (tanks and everything) and let me and another lad have a go in the swimming pool.
He was another good instructor.
I remember seeing Steve the steeplejack instructor on weakest link a few years back !

Last edited:
I'm not sure Teeside. The training centre is still there with the hangers. I've looked on google earth.
I'd be suprised if they dont. It's defo the best training you can get

They must of lost alot due to all theses trianing centers setting up
over the years

when i started it was

bricham /scotand/ london

that was it

Don't think there were that many when i did it. Loads of centres have popped up now.
But Bircham was the only one to do the 40 week long residential cecol course

Last edited:
hi their
my name is jason collins and was at bircham newton in 92 . anyone remember me

---------- Post added at 02:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:27 AM ----------

yeah remember them mornings well , in the end people started not to show up so they said that they would stop us from going home weekends . they done that to me one friday but managed to sneak onto the coach ha ha

---------- Post added at 02:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:31 AM ----------

hi lee its jason collins was we their at the same time

---------- Post added at 02:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:33 AM ----------

t

---------- Post added at 02:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:36 AM ----------

anyone remember suit dude what a character

Yes mate.
Alright " big man on campus " lol
How's it going J mate ?
I remember suit dude, Chris Mears was his name

what is ya name zotsey, and how is your scaffolding carrer going , earnt loads of money i hope . wasnt that place a laugh just got to think back alot as was a long time ago now , ha ha

Top Bottom