Are There Any Australian Scaffolders Out There?

SCHOIE*

Gday m8!

Im realy intrested in working in oz,Have you got any idea how i go about scaffolding over there?who would i contact etc..Ive got part 2 blue card(nvq) class 2 license(lgv) and fork lift truck license and hiab certificate.would any of them be reconnised in oz??

cheers pal

hope you get sorted out soon m8,works tight in manchester im out of action aswell m8

Thank you all for your posts and I'm nearly there with getting my relevant cards.

As you say here if the spanner aint turning your not earning and my spanner has not turned. I'm heading back to Sydney this Friday till April to enjoy some sun and earn some dollars so I can return. By the time I get back I'll have all my cards sorted so will be able to get straight into things and hopefully work will have picked up by then and there will be some jobs about. My mission is to get some hands on experience in the UK.

For those of you interested in going to Australia I'll provide some info below that will hopefully be of some help.

Workcover NSW (New South Wales) is the organisation my scaffold licenses are registered with. Search Workcover to see if they can provide info for changing licenses across as I'm sure this is a national organisation. Otherwise check out our TAFE websites (this our technical training colleges.)

If you can't get licenses transferred which I'd be very suprised our scaffold training is quite similar to the UK. Most of the training would be very similiar betweeen the Australian states. In NSW we have 3 scaffold classes Basic, Intermediate and Advanced. You can do an 18 week course 2 nights a week at TAFE which would get you up to an Advanced ticket. 6 weeks is spent on each class. This course they also have it running full time where I think it takes about 3 weeks. You may need to book well in advance to get into these courses.

Alternatively you can book with an independent Workcover Assesor who you can take the tests with. Doing it this way you can get each class within about 4 hours by taking a written test then completing a practical test. You just need to wait I think 7 days between doing each class, basic, intermediate then advanced.

Each state has there own OHS course which is compulsory like the CSCS card. It has alot of different names across the states from Green, White to Blue Card but they all refer back to been a OHS card. Usually quick and easy to book in and take this course. In NSW it's a 5 hour course and in Sydney you can generally book to do a course the day before.

Working in Perth the main company to check is PCH Group, they were recently bought out by CAPE. Alot of the mine work is based from Perth WA (Western Australia). Most of the mines work in WA you need to be based in Perth for the fly in fly out schedule. Mind you there is alot of work in Perth itself. There is always alot advertised there just hit google.

Sponsorhip to Australia is an option that would be quite difficult to get through a company if you don't know anyone in Australia and we don't have a scaffolder shortage that I know of.

I hope that my info has been helpful to get you started in your searches. I'll keep logging in here and if you have further questions I'd be happy to try assist you guys.

Schoie

many thanks schoie enjoy your sun whilst we are under a foot of snow, picking up frozen 21's lol:)

Gday Schoie

That was the best bit of advice ive heard in a long time,i`d just like to say thanks for that it was so helpfull,ive realy struggled getting hold of any advice like that for a while! absolutly brilliant m8!

Thats my dream to go to sydney and twirl my spanner or anywhere in oz,im only 22 so im going to solely concerntrate on saving and get over there.Hopefully if i get over there an prove myself i could get sponserd and live there for good in sunshine :cheesy:

hope to hear from you soon m8.

Cheers schoie

Hi all new to the site... im currently in Western Oz working away with a company in the Perth metro area.. but the boss man wont reconise my irish scaff ticket.. although he has me running my own crew he wont pay me the going rate as he says i cant sign off the scaff tags...
any1 on here from the perth area or have any contact numbers for a decent company...

I'll ask around for you Collie, A guy I had working with me went back home to W/A and think he's got a few contacts down there.

Hi everyone, i worked in oz about 12 years ago. I worked in the desert and up in Karratha on a petro-chem site. It was the business!
I worked for a firm called Transfield Worley in Karratha and the money was brilliant. I'd go back in a minute if i could get in

hello mate, you could try cape 92099000,sms 94705882,scafwest 1300652075

Cheers mate,ive already applied to cape and no word back yet.. and haven't tried the other 1s.. do that soon. i think my tickets are holding me back so im hgoing to get assesed on 19th April to get my tickets changed from irish to WA.. Hopefully ave more luck then...

Story . im out here 8 months at it up the mines in WA . The best people to get on to are pillbra access and pheonix . They have a rake of shutdowns going and thats the best way to make contacts . I got lucky and got on with Transfield and monadelphous .

As for sponsorship, they would rather sponsor jockey than us . I just got knocked back for a 457 through monos because its not on the critical skills list .

Companies to try ( call in dont ring )

Transfield
Monadelphous
Ativo
downer
Phoinex
cape
wako
billfinger berger
Kaefer

Hope its helpful.

hi tommy, are you still working in WA? area im moving to perth soon and wanted to know if there is plenty of work around.

Cheers

I see this is an old thread. I'm WA but workin the bass strait. Any one know of a place to get some decent spanners locally?

When ur bac in Perth pop into mitre 10 in northbridge he's got 12star boxes in a nice short handle only thing it's alloy handle so little light in hand takes bit of getting use to, pain in ass stripping jobs that monkeys ave built hanging of there ratchets..

Hey all I'm new to this forum. I didn't even know a scaffolders forum existed! Anyway I'm working in southwest Australia doing a shutty ATM trying to get to gorgan with Cbi. Anyone working in WA here? Good decent jobs going round or what?

Cheers

Leroy.

Quality Spanner locally

When ur bac in Perth pop into mitre 10 in northbridge he's got 12star boxes in a nice short handle only thing it's alloy handle so little light in hand takes bit of getting use to, pain in ass stripping jobs that monkeys ave built hanging of there ratchets..

I see a fella has started a small website now for scaffold spanners and the like. tools-online.com.au
worth a look anyway

Top Bottom