Alloy tube

i have just came across this alloy tubing on an offshore platform and my opinion is its shiite,it floats and when used near plant that vibrates it shakes no end.i stripped a shoot and run under deck scaffold and it wasnt very good fun dont trust the stuff and will use the info alan has kindly passed on along with the tg20 to hopefully put an end to this crap

scaff1989

I raised the point of cathodic and anodic corrosion with an Aberdeen Design Engineer---my point being the electosic generated between steel tube and ali beams---

The reduction of the out side diameter of the Ali beam being accelerated when subjected to high density salt water in the atmosphere and saturation by sea spray...

I did not get a definitive answer !...

Garry...

an alloy tube used for an antenna connected with a presco double on the platform i came off had corroded the tube to the effect that a hole was visible a stop card was submitted need i say more

nae si daftscaff

The real questions never get answered by the establishment...

We ask questions only to be told that is not really part of our remit---but then again what do we know ! we only put the feckin stuff up :nuts:

Old Harry Bell Instructor Hillington 1978 told us never to mix ali and steel ( Galvi )

You are correct but this only works in an access type scaffold if you're upright is Alloy and your horizontal is steel. It would not be the case if you ar punching off an ally beam.

---------- Post added at 02:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:51 AM ----------

No.
Permissable Axial load in 2.0m Alloy is around 14kN
Permissable Axial load in steel strut is around 28kN

regards Alan

---------- Post added at 02:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:00 AM ----------

It is fine to use steel couplers with alloy.
A perminant connection suing steel and alloy is not recomended as there is a chemical reaction over long periods.

---------- Post added at 02:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:03 AM ----------

The steel is as strong in both fittings but you would destroy the alloy section of the fitting.

---------- Post added at 03:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:07 AM ----------

Until recently I have always used DF couplers when connecting alloy to steel, as mentioned earlier B&P allows the screw plate or thumb screw to damage the alloy tube. I have however just completed some alloy beam work and used pressed doubles to punch up off the beams and upon dismantle notice quite severe scaring on the beams, would have to wonder what they would look like with 10 years constant use????

So if alloy is 12kn n steel is 28kn does this mean that standard spacing must be at 1.05m for it is half the strength. The real working load of theel is double of that they say so alloy is right on the mark when coming to the load. Makes u wonder is it safe or should it be designated for handrail n non load bearing!

CORRECT AMUNDO OLD BEAN,YOU CANT EVEN STACK ALI WITH GALVI BUT DUE TO THE LACK OF SPACE OFFSHORE YOU GUESSED IT ALI AND GALVI IN THE SAME RACK :eek:

Standard Spacings for a Very Light Weight Access Ali Scaffold for Painters Only---6' 6" Centers...Millsz and drop forged fittings...

Attachments

• SDC10393.jpg
    SDC10393.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 9
scaff1989

I raised the point of cathodic and anodic corrosion with an Aberdeen Design Engineer---my point being the electosic generated between steel tube and ali beams---

The reduction of the out side diameter of the Ali beam being accelerated when subjected to high density salt water in the atmosphere and saturation by sea spray...

I did not get a definitive answer !...

Garry...

LOL AS SAY HE WONT OF KNOW WHAT AY WERE ON ABOUT ITS LIEK OUT THE UNI GRADS ONLY KNOW WHAT IN THE BOOK AND IF IT AINT IN THE BOOK AR WELL UM WELL LOL AM JUST TRYING TO THINK IF THERE IS A SAFE METAL YOU COULD ADD TO ALLY AND STEEL WOULD BE MAGNISIUM ,GOLD PLATINUM LITHIUM BUT THAT WOULD DISOLVE ALMOST INSTANTLY(AM NOT A GENIUS GOT A PTABLE INFRONT OF ME OF IT LOL ) ...COULD YA IMAGINE THE SCAFFS FACE WHEN HIS TOLD TO BOLT A BAR OF BULLION TO THE BEAM LOL YAD JUST SEE HIM SKIMMING OVER THE NORTH SEE LIKE AOM ON HIS JETTY LOL :laugh: SO YA WER LEFT NON THE WISE BY THE DESIGNER THEN GAZ ?

F.uck me who would have thought. F.uck it makes the job easier and is actually compliant to what the regs say coz they stipulate the bearing to be twice that of the real thing with steel so alloys bearing is actually that of what they say. Hence safe to use but no room for error.......maybe

scaff1989

I knew the answer, however, the Designer would not commit to a defining answer, I wanted him to confirm that the electrolyte reaction was harmful and a risk of desegregation to the wall of the ali tube, thus a precursor to failure and yeild of the Ali...

Furthermore, you are not far wrong in thinking that there maybe a substitute for Metal Tube and Fittings---composite material maybe constructed with an extended elastic range and reduced plastic range---a tube constructed with aliphatic by product with a nurelled ( ribbed, no jokes please Guys ) surface could give added surface friction stress with minimal effort when a fitting is applied...

China are looking at producing a Bamboo hybrid Scaffold Tube with metal couplers at the ends eeek...

Last edited:
No douty garry i crnt understand why ya a scaff marra lol seem to have a few brains lol n speshly off shore in nmorth sea must be a case of it wont accelrate to much so there for its ok but like ya say its not and if you have raised it and sumet happens ya can take the high ground. N then theres them feking ladder beams ok if ya ben flynn on the the job lol

woodsie

safe to use within the perimeters and environmental conditions with the 3 to 1 Safety Factor applying...

---------- Post added at 11:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:18 PM ----------

scaff1989

PMSL aye, feck them Ladder Beams---Ali Beams are the dogs baz marra, got nithin against them---but as you say its good to have an answer just in case some smart cant comes the c*nt eh :cool:

So lads if working to tg20.08 alloy is not safe to use. When It comes to the chemical reaction stuff they're probably not in contact long enought to make any real significance unless stored together in the rack. So should we avoid alloy altogether? All this acedemic stuff about kilo newtons etc is it going to fail in the real world when applied to tg20.08?

---------- Post added at 11:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 PM ----------

woodsie

safe to use within the perimeters and environmental conditions with the 3 to 1 Safety Factor applying...

---------- Post added at 11:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:18 PM ----------

scaff1989

PMSL aye, feck them Ladder Beams---Ali Beams are the dogs baz marra, got nithin against them---but as you say its good to have an answer just in case some smart cant comes the c*nt eh :cool:

Sorry mate u lost me on the 3 to 1 safety factor thing.

woodsie

Spot on with the time exposure, however, over a period of time and cycles of service and use there MAY be cause for concern---we only work to the rules we do not make them, therefore, knowledge, is our retort if something goes wrong as scaff1998 has premised...

There is a built in optimum threshold of yield a safety factor of 3 to 1---the tube can be subjected to a force 3 times over stated Safe Working Load before it will yield...

Last edited:
Ah right I was told twice the threshold by the instructor on supervisor course but he contradicted a lot of things the instructor on the advanced said. Makes u wonder if they just make it up as they go along. When u confront them with this they just feed u a load of bull after all bull shi.t baffles minds.

woodsie

I concur woodsie---if one confronts and asks questions to those in positions of professed enlightenment some will dodge and weave, talk a load of egwano...

Self studies into Engineering Principals and Corrosion of Metals can be quite useful to temper and expand the mind...

I agree mate afterall when put in the position of passing or failing a course they (the instructor) know full well that they can prity much say what they want and not get as much opposition as they would in the work place afterall they decide whether u pass or fail so u just nod ur head for the pass mark: in real life common sense prevails and when put like that I concur alloy is safe to use.

They all work to Specifications ( their Rules ) Regs ect ect, HOWEVER, and, I dont wish to divert from your original Post question but the compliance with BS Torque Values is a typical area where the Rules are bent or just plane ignored when it suits them...

Woodsie i dont agree with nodding and been a yes man i question everything i dont know several time untill i understand it and if i dont understand it and if i dont get the answer i need i rephrase they can onyl dodge it 2 3 time max then they relise they are going to have to answer my question or tell me to fek off if its the latter makes them look a c@nt i alway want to knoiw is it the only way uis it your way your teaching me there way your teaching me and why its this way and is it s case of monkey see monkey do with them or do as i say and not as i do lol may sound like a dik but some were down the line some 1 will ask me the same questions in time and i then can give them a defant answer bugt i supose diffrent people will have diffrent views unless its a figure crnt lie with figures theres 2 answer the right 1 and the rong 1 and if theres more then its open to interpratation which in my view weakens it

Woodsie i dont agree with nodding and been a yes man i question everything i dont know several time untill i understand it and if i dont understand it and if i dont get the answer i need i rephrase they can onyl dodge it 2 3 time max then they relise they are going to have to answer my question or tell me to fek off if its the latter makes them look a c@nt i alway want to knoiw is it the only way uis it your way your teaching me there way your teaching me and why its this way and is it s case of monkey see monkey do with them or do as i say and not as i do lol may sound like a dik but some were down the line some 1 will ask me the same questions in time and i then can give them a defant answer bugt i supose diffrent people will have diffrent views unless its a figure crnt lie with figures theres 2 answer the right 1 and the rong 1 and if theres more then its open to interpratation which in my view weakens it

I agree with what ur saying but they can give u the wrong answer without u knowing it why else would contradictions be made. Another example was one said that every scaffold must have a drawing & the other said that if u follow tg20.08 u wouldn't need a drawing. I confronted him saying well what's the point doing advanced course if u just copy a drawing, he said only advanced scaffs can read the drawing.
Where as the other said as in real life scenarios u can build ur own scaffold so long as u follow tg20.08.
I know which one I agree with but back to alloy if the safety factor is 3 to 1 & not 2to 1 then alloy would be safe to use following tg20.08 because the safety yield of tube would surpas that stipulated but if it is 2to 1 then the load stipulated in tg20.08 is the actual load it can take and no more thus making it precarious to use.

Top Bottom