Alloy tube

I can see the Point with band n plate but normal couplers should be ok me thinks

Last edited:
Aye the only way to explane it is when both under water unless they are the same elemnts eg same metal they will both corrode at diffrent speeds all down to electordes and anode and cathode and stuff. The more active a metal is the faster it will corrode so under water alloy will carrode first if in close contact or physical contact with steel alot of the time zinc is used to protect steel under water as in this situation zing is the anode and steel is the cathode so the zinc will attract the corrosion hence saving the styeel for a while longer

FFS, I must have been off the day we did that at school.:embarrest:

MY REPLY TO MY GAFFER IF HE WAS TO SAY ABOUT DENT TUBE WOULD BE .....AWEY TO FUK, ILL HEMP IT TOGETHER NEXT TIME WITH SILK IF YA WANN BOSS :laugh:

NEVER WONDERD WHY WHEN YOU SEE TOW METAL TOGETHER THAT HAVE BEEN UNDER WATER AND 1 IS TOTALLY RUSTED AND THE OTHER HAS JUST LOST ITS SHINE..... I KNOW I DONT KN0OW HOW I REMBER THE CONCEPT DID HAVE TO GOOGLE THE NAMES OF THEM THIOW LOL I SH1T LIKE THAT STICKS IN MY HEAD MOST OF THE TIME POINTLESS ...LIKE THE CAUSE OF WORLD WAR 1 WAS THE ASSASINATION OF FRANZ FERDANAND BY A 21 YEAR OLD FROM THE BLACK HAND GANG LOL HOWS THAT FOR SETTEL COUPLES ON ALLY LOL

Last edited:
haha.scaff89 you ol'Clevernuts;)you got an ology in cathodes an stuff?

haha, I will be prepared for that one marra.;)

When ever i have erected alloy scaffolds i have always used drop forged fittings as they don't bite in as much. if i had my own company i would only use alloy tube and proberly go bust when it all got nicked.

What about the strength of it compared to steel then lads.. Scientific explanations welcome so I can sound clever in the yards tomoz

haha, you have got the wrong crew for such questions tonight Woodsie. My guess would be careful design considerations would need to be given to the overall structure.

Other than that I know feck all I'm from Barcelona.

the scaff said what i was meaning just that every time i tryed to print cathodic i started to get angry and blaming neil lennon for everything thatys wrong with the world,so i shortened it to scaffoldwers language and then gave hamza a battering on another thread:eek:

haha, you have got the wrong crew for such questions tonight Woodsie. My guess would be careful design considerations would need to be given to the overall structure.

Other than that I know feck all I'm from Barcelona.

I agree of course but are the tensile strength equal to another one wonders doesn't one my dear :idea:watson

put the set on back to front if you know what i mean so that the screwed plate goes onto the galvi tube whenever possible ;)

You are correct but this only works in an access type scaffold if you're upright is Alloy and your horizontal is steel. It would not be the case if you ar punching off an ally beam.

---------- Post added at 02:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:51 AM ----------

Is alloy tube as strong as steel and are you supposed to use steel cupplers with it as I was told it may compress the tube!! Another load of bull concucted by some office dweller or real life fact stuff?

No.
Permissable Axial load in 2.0m Alloy is around 14kN
Permissable Axial load in steel strut is around 28kN

regards Alan

---------- Post added at 02:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:00 AM ----------

Bulls.hit. I thought so. Some one told me u only supposed to use alloy cupplers with it as steel can damage the tube. What a lOad of myth haha thanks myth busters

It is fine to use steel couplers with alloy.
A perminant connection suing steel and alloy is not recomended as there is a chemical reaction over long periods.

---------- Post added at 02:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:03 AM ----------

The thread n nut on alloy cupplers are steel so would give the same tension n compression as a steel cuppler..... Right?!

The steel is as strong in both fittings but you would destroy the alloy section of the fitting.

---------- Post added at 03:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:07 AM ----------

Until recently I have always used DF couplers when connecting alloy to steel, as mentioned earlier B&P allows the screw plate or thumb screw to damage the alloy tube. I have however just completed some alloy beam work and used pressed doubles to punch up off the beams and upon dismantle notice quite severe scaring on the beams, would have to wonder what they would look like with 10 years constant use????

Last edited:
It might be wrong information, but we use a lot of ally tube at the station, and have been told that straight forward basic jobs built out of ally will have to be designed from now on, can someone clear that one up for us, its so nice when your climbing the stairs up to the top of the annexes, that you can carry a dozen 5's no problem :blink1:

I saw alloy scaffolding only for small scaffold towers and nobody using steel couplers...

It might be wrong information, but we use a lot of ally tube at the station, and have been told that straight forward basic jobs built out of ally will have to be designed from now on, can someone clear that one up for us, its so nice when your climbing the stairs up to the top of the annexes, that you can carry a dozen 5's no problem :blink1:

Morning Animal,
you may not like the answer!!
From what I can see alloy scaffolds fall outside the confines of TG20:08 and as such would require design.

The tables etc within TG20 are all based around steel tube and alloy falls into appendix E.
Right at the start of TG20:08 under General
1 Scope
1.1 This NASC Guide to good pratice gives recommendations for the effective management and guidance for the design, construction and use of common access scaffolds in STEEL

Leaving out the non relevant tosh moving to the last para in this section
However this NASC Guide does not preclude the use in access scaffolding of tubes of other dimensions and strength and Appendix E provides a limited amount of data on aluminium tube.

Having got this far, refer to TG20:08 volume 2 page240 Appendix E, Scaffolds using aluminium tube
E.0 Introduction

Many of the recommendations in this code on the form of construction of scaffolds built from steel tube apply to aluminium tube. Some exceptions are listed below.

Because of the difference in the structural and material properties of aluminium, special design is required for scaffolds built in aluminium.

regards
Alan

That's what I was thinking Alan.:embarrest:

alloy is out side tg20..... does this mena you dont need to use the steps on alloy scaffs lol :toung:

Hi Guys,
Interesting thread!!!
Having been involved with scaffolding for 27 years I have fell fowl of the Aluminium/steel argument I once built a tempoary building in a GKN Yard the same company I worked for!!
Having Questined the design v's material delivered & firmley put in my place i built the structure from Aluminium tube & Mills sprung steel fittings (the best by the way) on inspection the safety offficer (who shall remaian onominous) pulled the design & ordered the structure usseless untill either all tube changed for steel or all fittings chsnged for drop forged.
My perspective is soft thck walled aliminium tube will damage easily over time if the wrong fittings are used EG: fittings that puncture or pierce the soft tube: so band & plate yes avoid use on alloy tube, Presco cold pressed fittings yes avoid use on alloy tube, Steel dropped forged fittings fine for use on any compatible scaffold tube (yes there is a vast amount non compliant tube in the market!!!!!!!!!)

Top Bottom