Advanced scaffolder refresher courses

Yes but the CISRS has all our up to date details as this is a requirement so why can't they set up an e-mail? I paid for my course myself so give me the information!!:rolleyes:

Ragscaff

Instructors, assessors, h&s consultants have to show CPD.

Let's be honest some lads may not be able to understand a new guidance or regulation and this is one reason why it should be the employers responsibilty.

Also easy loophole is; I never got any update sent to me.

I am not sayin training for all, TBT may be ok for some changes..

I think one of the main problems is when updates do come in, some companies do not always inform the workforce.

In some cases (not all) this could be a simple TBT.

I was talkin to a lad 12 months or so ago and he thought the guardrail height was 915mm?? Been advance since early 80's..

ohhh!!!! i hope he dont get reported.

CPD do us a favour , I work alongside electricians ,welders ,platers ,mechanics ,painters and tin bashers to name but a few . They laugh heartily when they see the things we have to go through just to keep ourselves up to date . Leave us alone your not getting any more money , pick on some other proffesion for a change , I sound like a five year old but that is how we are being treated .

lolmore training,refreshers hahahahah.isnt this from the people who gave us the most over the top safety rules in the world,who gave us drawings for every job who have stopped us thinking for ourselves,who at every turn continualy fleece us out of money for silly meaningless plastic cards to enter our place of work,who are about to outshine george osbourne and pile thousands of perfectlygood scaffolders onto the dole ie the eictb card scandle,f##k them and there trainning wont be getting one more thin dime from me,ill get a job delivering crisps before a shell anymore dosh to these k##ts.ps sorry bout the lanuage.

This was only a suggestion, the lads need the updates delivered to them in one way shape or form and this needs to be recorded to show they have had it. As I stated I don’t think this has to be training as such in a centre as TBT by the employer could cover some changes.

But we need something and I agree this should not cost the individual but may by the employer or government. I do not believe any individual should have to pay for any training or PPE for what he /she needs in the their working environment.

theres some moonmen out there aint there,a mean they come in here and try and impress there eucaristic views picked out of some glossy construction mag,they must think the gullibility level in here is high,sort the eictb boys out before you start anymore hair brained schemes,totaly fed up with idots making p1sh up inthere own small minds.the industry is at it lowest peak ever it needs stimulating not more costly stupid corses that accredit us with more of their stupid plastic cards.

---------- Post added at 08:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:33 AM ----------

the goverment has just made the biggest fiscalcuts since the great depression dave,can you imagine going to chap george osbourns 10million pound flat in belgravia and ask him to fund updates for scaffolders,as their immediate employer or their trainning provider wont????????the countrys not got money to supply troops on the front line never mind this,also if you want decent ppe and a mean decent we have to purchase it more times than not.

This was only a suggestion, the lads need the updates delivered to them in one way shape or form and this needs to be recorded to show they have had it. As I stated I don’t think this has to be training as such in a centre as TBT by the employer could cover some changes.

But we need something and I agree this should not cost the individual but may by the employer or government. I do not believe any individual should have to pay for any training or PPE for what he /she needs in the their working environment.

We have already a way of delivering updates, you are reading it now. The Scaffolders Forum and the SCCR, albeit not representative of 100% of the scaffolding industry, however, this is the best we have had up to now, for informing Scaffolders,Scaffold Companies/Owners and affiliated trades of change within our profession.

I recieve, the free HSE construction bulletin, monthly, maybe SF admin could sign up for it, and be placed on the Forum ?

I realise, that the NASC will not offer 'Free Guidance' to the Forum, as we are not members, however, a little bit of a 'heads up' wouldnt come in wrong.

As my elected 'Chair' to the SCCR stated, why cant the CISRS inform us of current updates, maybe another job for SF admin and SCCR give them a slot on our Forum, (Endorse us, as a true voice). All ideas in my mind however, they are achievable.

Regards
Paddy

Paddy great idea mate, but what about them lads who do not access to a PC or a forum

Still will not be free as the lads would still have to pay there membership to the SCCR.

Do you think it needs to be recorded in anyway to show that the lads have received it?

Sort the CSCS out so we are asked scaffolding questions. Then these up dates would be part of that every five years. As AOM said we are not talking major changes. When you book a CSCS test get the info on an A4 sheet. Might even fit on an A5 sheet!!

SIMPLES YES!!!!!!!!!!!!:cry:

Ragscaff

Paddy great idea mate, but what about them lads who do not access to a PC or a forum

Still will not be free as the lads would still have to pay there membership to the SCCR.

Do you think it needs to be recorded in anyway to show that the lads have received it?

Thanks Dave
The HSE e-bulletins, would be on the Scaffolders forum, which is free, also included within the SCCR site for existing members, which is a added addition.

This service would be a 'Heads up' for the Forum that could and would be relayed to fellow workmates etc. It is not percieved to take place of RAMS so there is no need for it to be recorded, as i said "Heads up".

The CISRS, hopefully would contribute, and even post FAQ's on this and SCCR website, and any new up and coming data relating to scaffolding.

As i stated in my original post, this is not the be all and end all of the problem, however, it is a good option to evaluate, to try and reach the greater audience of the scaffolding community.

Dave i appreciate your feedback mate.

Paddy

Email is the ideal way to keep scaffolders up to date

I recieve updates from IOSH, IIRSM, and the HSE on a weekly basis

NASC could quite easily add a link to thier web-site asking scaffolders to register for updates by submitting thier email address

Dave your comments

"but what about them lads who do not access to a PC or a forum"

I felt were a bit negative they will recieve information from the lads that do, by word of mouth and printouts of updates

there is always the good old royal mail service for the very few lads that dont have access to the internet, could post a quarterly news letter like many large organisations do

I think these are all great ideas.

Rigger Dont know how you tink I was being negative but its a fact, some lads out there do not own a PC never know how to use one!!!!!

CSCS again great idea but not everyone does a CSCS to update their card they may have a CCNSG instead. Plus could be a while before renewal.

Paddy Posting on the forum good idea but they should also look at may be having there own forum or information link and again service should be free with a password issued each time you update your card? (just a thought)

I agree with not recording some as this would be a case of a heads up but some updates may need more of a robust / in depth TBT and as you know an employer would have to demonstarte that there workfore has had the relvant training / knowledge if something went wrong?

Phil newsleter like the sounds of that mate, that is deffo a great way forward

Last edited:
there is always the good old royal mail service for the very few lads that dont have access to the internet, could post a quarterly news letter like many large organisations do

Seems the way to go mate, like a TU they post a quarterly magazine, why not the CISRS? they take more money off us than the Union, so surely they can comply:suspicious:

waste of money of you work for a large company as they always give you advice.

'The futures so bright i gotta wear shades'

Timbuk 3, cracking track that rumple

i have been told by a ex scaffolder (des daily) he wrote most of the sg4 (guildlines) and now a safety man for natioal grid, that if you have grandfather rights for advanced, there was talks as from start of 2011, you will have to sit a 5 day (refresher) course to get NVQ 3 like scaffolders who have gone through whole persigure, i wonder if this will happen.

I am offshore so do a survival refresher every four years , in fact I do ISSOW refresher a working at height refresher a harness awareness refresher a confined entry refresher add to that the MIST refresher and the advanced refresher I am refreshered out .

I think you like Refreshers too much.....its it how they make your tongue tingle? :bigsmile: Whats your favourite coulour?

Top Bottom