2 brigdes in 1 month!!!

As said the pics show only incomplete scaffolding the plan bracing was out in the hanger but not in the beams.

Last edited:
It does seem a strange way of working shane but if that's what had to be done.

It does seem a strange way of working shane but if that's what had to be done.

Yeah I totally agree mate first time I've had to work like that, we did have to tag it though at 0.75KN so was never going anywhere at all.

I'm sure I've got a smaller copy of the drawing, If so I'll scan it and post it up.

Someone posted a picture of a good solid scaffold built on a bridge or pier access down London way that had collapsed. It turned out the scaffold was solid but the bridge that was holding it up collapsed so that could have been fresh in the designers mind as he worked out the calcs.

I think I would be happy enough to tackle a job the same way with engineering say so.

isn't your Damo running the bridge job :D

Last edited:
I'll show you the boiler we banged up on here last week if you want, your not a boiler rat yet but your still not to old to learn :D

PS isn't your Damo running the bridge job :D

Lol I've heard that boiler has been up that many times even labourers can put it up now :p

Yeah dames running the Drax/Shephards job mate, they got proper scaffolders in for the complicated work not union run blue book guys as they moan to much :D

Lol I've heard that boiler has been up that many times even labourers can put it up now :p

Yeah dames running the Drax/Shephards job mate, they got proper scaffolders in for the complicated work not union run blue book guys as they moan to much :D

Be careful Shane, the union is already looking into your company not paying agreed rates. Moths on the job as we speak

PS

Up and down in Layher as well :D

Be careful Shane, the union is already looking into your company not paying agreed rates. Moths on the job as we speak

PS

Up and down in Layher as well :D

Yeah he came up to us last week mate just before we got inducted asking questions, don't think we can get blue book though as were not In a CDM area.

Not used layher for years mate, seen alot of it scattered about on Drax though.

When does CDM 2007 (Construction, Design and Management Regulations 2007) apply to a project?

The CDM 2007 Regulations apply to most common building, civil engineering and engineering construction work. You must notify HSE of the site if the construction work is expected to either:
last longer than 30 days; or
involve more than 500 person days of construction work;

HSE should be notified in writing before construction work starts; you can use form F10. Your notification should be sent to the HSE office nearest to the proposed site.
How to notify a project (Form F10)

Further information on CDM 2007 is available on HSE's construction section.

Reference

L144 - Managing health and safety in construction (ISBN 9780717662234 - available from HSE Books)

Are you sure about CDM :D

When does CDM 2007 (Construction, Design and Management Regulations 2007) apply to a project?

The CDM 2007 Regulations apply to most common building, civil engineering and engineering construction work. You must notify HSE of the site if the construction work is expected to either:
last longer than 30 days; or
involve more than 500 person days of construction work;

HSE should be notified in writing before construction work starts; you can use form F10. Your notification should be sent to the HSE office nearest to the proposed site.
How to notify a project (Form F10)

Further information on CDM 2007 is available on HSE's construction section.

Reference

L144 - Managing health and safety in construction (ISBN 9780717662234 - available from HSE Books)

Are you sure about CDM :D

Looks like we might get a taste of blue book then mate (fingers crossed) ;)

I work from Buxton/Chesterfield for High Peak Scaffolding mate, just managed to get that job up that end.

As said pictures were before completion, I think the designers looked at the weight the bridge could take and used ever KG of it lol, ott springs to mind by the end of the job with triple plan bracing the whole way through the beams:eek: and double plan bracing under the hanger:eek:

All was to drawing and passed by the designer first time after.:cool:

Sorry Shane,
was aware of your comment that the job was unfinised; however, you need to lace and brace the beams prior to forming the droppers and underslung section of the scaffold to enable them to work correctly

We would be interested to see the drawing Shane if you have it.
regards
Alan

---------- Post added at 02:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:01 AM ----------

I agree aom. It almost sounds like the designer has had a scaffold built, men have gone and worked on it then integral parts such as bracing has been added later. Maybe Alan R can say what he thinks?

100% HSWT/AOM, cant see how the scaffold designer has this as a thought process at all.
regards
Alan

Last edited:
There was double plan bracing on the underside of the hanger.

I think we are missing the point Shane. Not digging you out fella just stating the facts.
The Lacing & Bracing on the cantilever beams should be in before the droppers go in which allow you to build the hanger.

Yeah know what your saying mate, the legs are not hanging from the beams to be honest, each leg is sk'd to the bridge structure in two places, beams were put in after.

Yeah I know it's not a dig but I'd just like to get my point across, the legs are 100% not hanging off the beams, the legs were put in first on sk's to the RSJ's under the bridge that stick out each side, we also removed timbers from the bridge to get a centre leg on the RSJ to the hanger so in theory the full hanger was off the steel work on the bridge, the beams were put in after as not shown on the pics but there is lifts on the beams so the suspension cables could be reached to be blasted and painted.

Hope this clears up the confusion, my fault as I didn't explain myself that well lol.;)

Top Bottom