Advanced scaffolder refresher courses

I agree totally guys,

The law
The Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 requires you to provide whatever information, instruction, training and supervision as is necessary to ensure, so far as is reasonably practicable, the health and safety at work of your employees.
This is expanded by the Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999, which identify situations where health and safety training is particularly important, eg when people start work, on exposure to new or increased risks and where existing skills may have become rusty or need updating.
You must provide training during working hours and not at the expense of your employees. Special arrangements may be needed for parttimers
or shift workers.
You need to assess the risks to your employees while they are at work and to any other people who may be affected by the way you conduct your business.

So bring on the training let the Employer pay, that would go down like a lead balloon.

Hi Paddy,
We at QFS supply all our training for free and pay the lads while doing it, this is very expensive for us but we understand our legal requirement to do so. This however leaves us with an uneven playing field as I know numerous companies that make thier lads use thier holiday entitlement and have to pay back the course fee on a weekly basis. Our courses include: Pt1, Pt2, Advanced, Supervisor, SSSTS, Rollgliss Harness Rescue, IPAF, 1st Aid, Various IOSH, Asbestos Awareness, PATS Testing, H&S Touch Screen, CISRS Card Renewal, Various courses for our drivers, Yard Operatives, To name but a few, Weekly and or as and when required TBTs in work time covering Manual Handling, Slips and Trips, etc, etc. As you can see the list goes on. I pesronally battle hard to get the recourses to fund this, fortunatley I have great supporting management who deliver from a pot that is not bottomless, this makes life very difficult when quoting for work as many clients want a rolls royce company but want to pay for a mini :sick::(

Happy New Year All!!!!

---------- Post added at 12:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:37 PM ----------

Paddy great idea mate, but what about them lads who do not access to a PC or a forum

Still will not be free as the lads would still have to pay there membership to the SCCR.

Do you think it needs to be recorded in anyway to show that the lads have received it?

Dave Abe,
A simple TBT will be fine, get the lads to sign it and keep it on file. :D

---------- Post added at 12:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:46 PM ----------

We have already a way of delivering updates, you are reading it now. The Scaffolders Forum and the SCCR, albeit not representative of 100% of the scaffolding industry, however, this is the best we have had up to now, for informing Scaffolders,Scaffold Companies/Owners and affiliated trades of change within our profession.

I recieve, the free HSE construction bulletin, monthly, maybe SF admin could sign up for it, and be placed on the Forum ?

I realise, that the NASC will not offer 'Free Guidance' to the Forum, as we are not members, however, a little bit of a 'heads up' wouldnt come in wrong.

As my elected 'Chair' to the SCCR stated, why cant the CISRS inform us of current updates, maybe another job for SF admin and SCCR give them a slot on our Forum, (Endorse us, as a true voice). All ideas in my mind however, they are achievable.

Regards
Paddy

Paddy,
I use the HSE RSS feeds, these are updated daily, mostly Atomic crap or factory stuff but the odd interesting relevant stuff comes up, thats when I pass on anything that is relevant to us. latest gossip the 3 day rule may be extended to 7 days, study ongoing I believe. not interesting for the scaffs but very important to myself as I normally investigate the accidents, but my foremen and supervisors will need to know this info so we comply to RIDDOR. :D
P.S.
I see no reason why NASC, CISRS cant set up an RSS feed and we can pass it down the chain of command.

Hi Scaff
Never heard from you in a while mate, hope you are ok.

Yes. I totally agree with your latest posting mate. If the guys that actually do the job, have a 'heads up' from a accredited body, about any new 'Technologies,H&S and current legislation, surely, it is beneficial to all concerned.

RSS feeds would be great for the SF, we now also have 'Simian Risk Management' as one of the Forum sponsers, so maybe they can set something up on this site?

In this current day, there is still far to many companies taking the Reactive approach to site problems, instead of adopting a pro-active approach, the need to 'Consult the Workforce' is chronicled in all the HSE documentation.

With the formation of the SCCR, we are trying to address some if not all of these problems. The Chairperson (ragscaff) Stewart, has made massive inroads in this area, we now have a direct contact within the HSE, and 2 meetings with this Inspector have occured to date.

Best regards mate
Paddy
SCCR H&S development officer

Another one along these lines...between basic scaff and advanced!! If a trainee fails or is unable to complete evidence towards an NVQ they can attend a 2 day assessment at an approved training provider one year after the part II training. If all goes well they will be able to apply for a basic scaffolder card, what about an advanced scaffolder?? This means of obtaining an NVQ is not available at this present time to advanced/level 3 delegates! How can it be suitable to show competence for basic qualifications but not someone who has spent x amount of years with a basic card, attended the advanced course and been accepted as an advanced scaffolder since by his company. Surely this should be available for both level NVQs or not at all? Dave Goram has told me they are planning to make this available in the future, but nothing has been finalised about it.

Anyone here have any views or info on this mattter?

Refreshers should be in place for part 2's as loads of scaffs don't want to be advanced. Most advanced scaffolders are safety advisors, instructors or gaffers, they should do a refresher or a cpd/evidence of what they have done to keep their status.

Top Bottom