Ecitb scaffs tkt

If the lads who hold these tickets have been in regular work,why cant they just be asked to provide 2 or 3 bonofide references which can be checked by the CIRIS to prove the lads are more than capable off carrying the neccessary scaffolding duties.Even if they were able to trade these tickets for a basic scaffolders ticket free of charge,it would be a massive help,especially when not all people concerned can afford to shell out for a courses they would have no problems completing.At least meeting them half~way they have no probs obtaining work,and that way if they want to complete the advanced course at a later date they could,there has to be a happy medium solution to this.Experience cant be taught,that is worth more than any ticket in my eyes..:mad:

Statement sent to the NASC

Dear Mr Mosley,

Thank-you for your quick reply.

I will be happy to talk to you on the phone but feel the need to comply the following statement & would welcome your reply prior to a phone conversation.

I am an Advanced Scaffolder under your scheme, my personal experience is as follows, I gained my card through the assessed route of entry. After being in the industry for about 15 years companies were starting to ask for them. I remember when I first heard about them, back then they were CITB tickets. My boss offered me the chance to go for a CITB ticket or HGV. I went for the HGV & that has got me more work over the years than the CITB ticket could have. A Scaffolder who can drive a class 1!!! I have worked for many Scaffold firms & undertaken all types of work other than offshore. I am very experienced & top of my game as some would say!!

Now you know me.

The forum I represent has posted the following & would like a response.

Regards ECITB tickets & score card tickets that have the CITB stamp on them.

1/ Why can’t the CISRS arrange a days assessment for the above who have 5 years experience & above?

2/ Why should someone with a level 6 ECITB card with years of experience need to do 2 weeks part 1 course with people that only need 6 months experience? They should be assessed at the level they are now on!!

3/ If you can get testaments from 3 major companies that you have worked for at the level you are currently working at then the ECITB should be transferred to the equivalent CISRS card. Or in a number of years when someone decides that the CISRS card is not good enough do we go through this again?

4/ As I understand it’s the NVQ that is needed to get CISRS cards, so why do we need to do the 2 weeks training course as this is nothing to do with the NVQ? Why can’t we just do the portfolio on site & send it away?

5/ Would like to say if it isn’t a money spinner like the CSCS & ECITB CCSNG which is still recognised even though its ECITB why can’t ECITB scaffolders have the course for free, is it because all the firms & scaffolders that have paid for it YTS CISRS would want their money back! Forget the training what about experience, lets move forward with this ECITB issue wake up NASC you’ll get your own way next year as ECITB will be dead after 25 years plus!!

6/ How can you not include ECITB scaffolders who are highly trained & ticketed inline with many job related codes of practice, CCSNG, IPAF, PASMA, PTS, confined space & SG4.05 as well as many years of recorded industry experience all in line with the NVQ!!

7/ Its an insult that the NASC expect experienced scaffolders to join the CISRS system at trainee level attending a course which is tailored made for candidates with six months experience?

8/ Why can’t ECITB ticket holders with 5years or more be exempt from the part 1 & part 2 & be awarded the NVQ based on portfolios & assessment in the same way as part 2 thus entering the CISRS at an appropriate level.

9/ Why is it that the NASC & the CISRS is not one company & why wasn’t ECITB merged into CISRS when the training was removed from the CITB?

10/ Why is it that the ECITB ticket is not being recognised when it should be? It runs out December 2010, no firm will touch it now. Also most sites want the labourer to have CISRS, what the CSCS for?? How do you get 6 months experience to get CISRS!!!!!!!!

11/ Almost hate to mention it but is there any chance of mentioning SCORE cards. I don't know if you have come across them or if it is just a Scottish thing but there is loads of lads up here with them and they have citb stamped all over them but main contractors stopped accepting them with the same consequences as the ecitb cards. Why???

12/ New Qualifications Strategy
Vocational Qualifications Reform Programme
To support the recommendations of the Leitch Report upon future skills needs, a government coordinated programme of qualifications reform is currently under way. This programme aims to establish a simplified structure of qualifications that reflect the skills and knowledge that employers value. Emerging qualifications will be based upon the expressed needs of employers within each sector of the UK economy. These needs have been collated through a consultative process led by the various sector bodies concerned, including ECITB.

To provide a foundation for more flexible qualifications, a national credit based framework will progressively be introduced by 2010. This framework will be populated with units with defined levels and credit values, which can be combined into the qualifications that meet employer needs. The units will only be accepted into the framework if the related qualifications are derived from published Qualifications Strategies. Furthermore, central funding will only be available for qualifications that consist of units included within the framework, and that therefore clearly stem from employer needs.

Requirements of a Qualifications Strategy
The key requirements of a Qualifications Strategy are that it must:

•Provide a strategic vision of the future qualifications landscape required by employers within a sector of the UK economy
•Define priorities for the development of new qualifications and National Occupational Standards
•Be developed through substantial employer consultations
•Meet defined quality standards, including having a separate focus upon each of the four nations.
The Qualifications Strategy may well address such strategic aims as for example to:
•Enhance the image of the industry and its ability to recruit suitable new entrants
•Increase the volume of training within the industry
•Develop the skills and competence of key employee groups
•Increase the level of take up and/or completion rate of qualifications
•Increase the relevance and flexibility of available qualifications
•Support coherent career pathways
•Align UK, EU and overseas qualifications.

To me that ticks all the boxes, End of problem, NVQs2 and 3 as awarded= Equals CISRS Scaffolder or CISRS Advanced.

So why are the ECITB,CISRS,CSCS and NASC not in consultation, stating the ECITB guys have a 'Right to not be refused' a CISRS card, when Portfolios and ECITB cards are and can readily be supplied by some of this country's most qualified scaffolders.

To sum up
20,000 plus scaffolders in the Industry 15% may be affected 3,000 men.

You have already put people out of work!!

Even if one man is affected its worth looking at let alone up to 3,000!!!!!!!!!

The issue of the poor training methods developed by the CISRS is the main topic for the meeting in October with the HSE & your detailed comments to this statement will be a major talking point in it.

I will forward you a date & full agenda nearer the time.

Regards S.Quinney

Ragscaff
Scaffolders Confederation for Consultation Rights

Sorry Daz but I think it got covered:D

Kin hell Ragstaff,after trying to read all that it feels like 1 eyes going to the shop and the other is coming back with the change,your on it mate a fine example of the salt of the earth,,:D

that should be a nice response.My monies on him worming his way out of it.

---------- Post added at 06:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:24 PM ----------

what the hell is that on the picture....

You have covered all bases there Ragscaff mate , be very interesting to see what the response is :) I read with interest the link posted Aom (thanks for that) on the dubious score card assessments however under your proposals the CITB/CISRS would be the awarding body thus upholding the integrity. of the scheme. It also highlights the need for actual work place assessment during the NVQ process rather than placing the emphasis on portfolios and training center days.

Keep up the good work Ragscaff it is very easy for NASC to fob off individuals not so when there is a collective voice singing from the same hymn sheet.

Last edited:
your the man ragstaff thankyou for your help.

Still think we should get up an online petition, and send them that.

RAGSCAFF YOU SHOULD BE RUNNING THIS COUNTRY PERHAPS IT WOULDNT BE IN SUCH A STATE:idea:

Had info off gaffer at work.

All our site Managers, are now doing the NVQ 4, i actually brought it up on a H&S meeting, instead of them using their skills card, (CSCS Joiner, Bricklayer) i insisted they should have the NVQ 4 as well as the SMSTS.

I have now been informed by a (Manager doing this course) that after any new card. I.E CSCS,CPCS and wait for it guys CISRS, that does not incorporate a NVQ attached to it, reaches it expiry date next year, will have to undergo a NVQ to be able to renew that card.:mad:

I was fortunate, when i did my 'advanced' ASRE, (2000) i was told by my instructor to do the NVQ route, as this was going to happen.

The problem we have now is, The Guys that actually invented scaffolding ( no sorry, but the guys who got CISRS through grandfather rights)will no longer be able to update their cards, unless they have a NVQ attached.

Please guys prove me wrong on this post, I think not though, Reason = ££££££££

Point

RAGSCAFF that should be an interesting answer and i'll sign up DANGERUSS i think its gone £££££ crazy:mad:

Just copied this from a promotion leaflet for Simon Hughes.

"An active member of the National Access and Scaffolding Confederation’s (NASC) Safety Committee since 1997 and has been involved in the production and development of many industry guidance notes, Safety Guidance number 4 (SG4) ‘Preventing falls in scaffolding and falsework’, of which the NASC has sold over 130,000 copies. SG4 is endorsed by the HSE and is now recognised as the authoritative guidance throughout the construction industry. He also represents the Scaffolding Industry (via the NASC) on the Health and Safety Executive’s Construction Industry Advisory Committee (CONIAC) safety groups committee."

130,000 copies of SG 4 sold & they can't afford to upgrade ECITB ticket holders!!!!!!!!!

Rip off.

How can he be an active member of the NASC. Does he have the required qualified scaffolders. I cannot get mebership because I supply labour only!!!!!!

Not that I want to be a member:laugh::eek:

Ragscaff

i think the nasc need a refresher scheme lol

They don't need anymore sweets they are fat enough:laugh::laugh:

Ragscaff

Just been reading an interesting thread on the training sub board http://www.scaffoldersforum.com/sca...-courses/2647-scaffold-inspectors-course.html . Under the new CISRS "carded" inspectors scheme a refresher is required every 5yrs......................kerching:mad:
It really is complete Bolloc*s, why do you need a refresher ? do you automaticaly forget after 5 years, I have to have an asbestos awareness course every year in June, its not like asbestos is getting used more frequently and its got more dangerous. Why do we need to have our cards renewed at £27 a pop + the £17 for the touch screen, I've just done 3 of them and it cost £90 its all a scam to keep Nazi ,sorry I meant NASC in work along with the CSCS and the CITB and the CISRS and god knows who else benefits from construction workers in the UK without actualy doing any actual work. Wan*ers united the lot of em.

good job they dont bring out a credit card can you imagine the APR.

Ragscaff,

Thanks for including score tickets along with ecitb. This is definately gathering momentum and the powers that be will not be able to ignore this forum as long as you are at the wheel.

nasc credit card what a good idea

Had info off gaffer at work.

All our site Managers, are now doing the NVQ 4, i actually brought it up on a H&S meeting, instead of them using their skills card, (CSCS Joiner, Bricklayer) i insisted they should have the NVQ 4 as well as the SMSTS.

I have now been informed by a (Manager doing this course) that after any new card. I.E CSCS,CPCS and wait for it guys CISRS, that does not incorporate a NVQ attached to it, reaches it expiry date next year, will have to undergo a NVQ to be able to renew that card.:mad:

I was fortunate, when i did my 'advanced' ASRE, (2000) i was told by my instructor to do the NVQ route, as this was going to happen.

The problem we have now is, The Guys that actually invented scaffolding ( no sorry, but the guys who got CISRS through grandfather rights)will no longer be able to update their cards, unless they have a NVQ attached.

Please guys prove me wrong on this post, I think not though, Reason = ££££££££

Paddy

This is a new one on me (but nothing surprises me). Anybody else shed any light on this one maybe xXIanXx??

Top Bottom