working in the rain

would that apply across the board in the company ie drivers yard staff office staff managers supervisors or just the scaffs mate?

Could'nt see that working, the whole employment laws would have to be changed back to Dickens time.

This was just a Question to see what response it would get after reading thru topic :nuts:

Celticbhoy: I would say the scaffolder,s as it,s less dangerous in yard or driving while its wet.

I suppose you could bring it a bit further, in the height of the summer in overheated offices without air conditioning office staff that complain of the heat could be told to stay home without pay, just to level it up a bit.

i would say any operation carried out in the wet would be more dangerous weather it be scaffolding,driving(markedly more dangerous in wet conditions)yard work lorries forklifts etc.so a dictat handed down to operatives such as the one you suggest would for me have to cover all everyday operatations and personel,i would also think such a dictat would prove divisive and would cause more damage than good as it seems to be picking out the one operative in the company super(i ken it was only a hypothetical question).

It's an age old problem, like the weather it's never going to change.

yeah just (i ken it was only a hypothetical question). yeah cos as read thru this post an many other posts on the forum bout different topics where you get scaffs posting up things like if its raining im in cabin , im not doing this im not doing that etc etc but nearly all them expect full wack pay on friday, in an ideal world yeah its great but we not in ideal world where the company gets paid off client for turning up , so then pays scaff for turning up etc etc

Say it rained everyday in october an everyone gets full pay for playing poker in cabins.
begining of november all of septembers invoices are paid , which pays bills an wages for that month.
begining of december no invoices due cos playing poker in cabin cos of rain in october,
all spare cash in bank is being swallowed up an has been used to plug gap left by dodgy builder ltd going bankrupt owing us on a big contract, we need to find working capital, wages , christmas holiday money and something to pay the bills with. THEN FCUK ME JOHN FCUKIN KETLEY POPS UP ON THE WEATHER PROGRAMME AN LIKE THE PROVERBIAL SWIFT ONE TO THE NUTS SAYS ALL DECEMBER AN PROB JANUARY IS GANNA BE A WASH OUT

what do we do now :nuts:

I see your point Super and I've experienced it from both sides, hypothecially if there is a situation of a long spell of wet weather forecast and there is no inside work then protective notice is an option.

lets just say scaffolder falls and sustains massive injuries due to the fact hes working in untenable conditions(not just rain)after being sent up a scaffold under duress from management ie invoices and such...........me personally wouldnt be coereced into a situation like that(well i would think not)
by anybody,its an individual pinion weather to work in certain conditions and whatever the person decided i would back him,as he ultimately looks after the up keep of himself.if i dont work i dont get paid,thats my situatation but belive me ill go home at night my own man not having anyone dictate to me weather i work in unsafe conditions due to MONEY.

what a fooking boring job that yard is we only went in there if work was really quite and most off us choose to go home unpaid instead of flat money youve got to be brain dead the thing is the ones who are in there every day love it ive never liked the yard since the olde days weve all been there though. thank god it dont last!!!!!

doent believe the work situation has everbeen that bad that any scaff has had to work in the rain ,over a twelve mth period i think we do quite well weather wise ,i think the potensial to make a good anual wage for the last 15/10 yrs has been good to us with out a brolly,mac,cap so if any of you scaffs that want to earn an extra £6.66 for a days pay lookin like a soggy tomato and need a mate go and get one out the machine of the bogwall and blow it up over your barnet ye prik

I hope that the insurance pays out if there is an accident due to handling wet boards and wet steel,i doubt it very much though.
I wouldnt mind the number of any insurers that do pay out due to adverse weather,they will class rain as adverse.
Be safe and good luck to the subbies

Its each to their own isnt it.... I would've thought most people here have the common sense to work out whether its worth working on or calling it a day.

Personally, like a few others here, it depends on many different things. If its belting it down so hard I cant see my bubble or the charge hands a n*b jockey then I'll take cover, if its workable then I'll crack on....

Fair play to you Paddy - nice to read some sensible retoric mate.
Personally I only worked in the rain if the job was nearly done, never saw the point in getting 'brownie points' then having to take 2 or 3 days off sick.
Keep Smilin' !!

Top Bottom