Wearing Gloves.....

We never wore gloves years ago, sad to say I know loads of retired scaffs whose fingers have started curling in due to arthritis,know one lad,think he's 68 has had two fingers cut off because they had curled into the palms of his hand.He never ever wore gloves in 30 years of scaffolding.So being a macho he- man when you are young can come back to haunt you when you are older and remember we all get old!!

my old dads 68 and still does an odd day with me, he started scaffolding at 17 in glasgow and never wore gloves, but he gets that finger curl thing once he's decided i've put enough twenty pound notes in his hand for the days graft, fingers straight as a dial before that though.. definetely no gloves if you can get away with it

For anyone who doesn't like using gloves, why not cut the tips of the fingers off. A lot of sites where gloves are part of the PPE allow this. Sparks and joiners get away with it so you should too.
I don't really bother now as I've had to wear them for so long but it took a while to get used to, just like wearing a hard hat or harness when they became compulsory.

Top Bottom