Using NZ Advanced Scaffolding Ticket in Perth

Hi boyz,
Im moving to Perth (port kennedy) from NZ in 2 weeks ive only had 3 months of scaffolding experience, i got laid off work because just not enough work in my little town a work mate told me about W.A and what it can offer. Ive only had a little experience at scaffolding but i enjoy it right up my alley.
So ive decided to pack up and move over, the second day im there i start basic to advanced scaffolding tickets and work at heights/Confined spaces, im not sure if im doing the right tickets and would there be companies out there willing to hire a unskilled advanced scaffolder like myself, willing to do anything to get a scaffolding job, FIFO, contruction etc... does anyone know of good companies out there?? going to knock on as many doors as i can lol.

How can you be a advanced scaffolder with only 3 months experience

unskilled advanced scaffolder

That's a new one on me!!

Hi, im not sure how it works but i contacted a training agency in perth AST - Australian Skills Training - Perth Darwin Batam Indonesia Singapore - Industrial Training Courses Cranes Rigging Scaffolding Elevated Work Platforms Builders Hoists Forklift Operator Welding Light Earthmoving Equipment Tickets Certificates Cert Perth Training Centre - Our Courses - Basic, Intermediate And Advanced Scaffolding Package
i asked if i can sit a SCAFFOLDING - Basic (SB) course because my nz ticket was no good here , they replied with i could do all Scaffolding basic /Int / Adv (SIA) in one 2 week course i was really baffled i thought you had to at least do a large amount of time before you could get a Intermediate ticket, im sure what kind of training they do in perth but i think thats how it is over here. Does anyone know this is true?

Hi, im not sure how it works but i contacted a training agency in perth AST - Australian Skills Training - Perth Darwin Batam Indonesia Singapore - Industrial Training Courses Cranes Rigging Scaffolding Elevated Work Platforms Builders Hoists Forklift Operator Welding Light Earthmoving Equipment Tickets Certificates Cert Perth Training Centre - Our Courses - Basic, Intermediate And Advanced Scaffolding Package
i asked if i can sit a SCAFFOLDING - Basic (SB) course because my nz ticket was no good here , they replied with i could do all Scaffolding basic /Int / Adv (SIA) in one 2 week course i was really baffled i thought you had to at least do a large amount of time before you could get a Intermediate ticket, im sure what kind of training they do in perth but i think thats how it is over here. Does anyone know this is true?

Not sure what it's like now but when I worked in Oz 10 years a go there were many a bloke with an advanced card and 6 months experience.

Aussie scaffolders seemed to think that more more tools and crap that they carried on their belts, the better the scaffolder! Maybe you should invest in the whole shebang mate! :laugh:

Not sure what it's like now but when I worked in Oz 10 years a go there were many a bloke with an advanced card and 6 months experience.

Aussie scaffolders seemed to think that more more tools and crap that they carried on their belts, the better the scaffolder! Maybe you should invest in the whole shebang mate! :laugh:

I agree Phil but why let skills, knowledge and experience get in the way of companies earning a fortune by issuing certificates?

Surely a company issuing competency certificates are liable in the event of bad or poor workmanship leading to an accident. Bit like certifying a banger as roadworthy.

thanks guys for your info im gona do some more research see what i can come up with, there must be a shortage of highly skilled scaffolders in W.A, why there just giving tickets away, seems abit of a unsafe working environment. Has anyone had any experience going through the 2 week courses and then got a job in perth?

It is true in Aussie you can get a advanced ticket through sitting a two week course but in Perth you us alot of system scaffolding mainly Kwikstage but as we all know you can train monkeys to put Kwikstage up . The trouble with being a advanced ticket holder with three months experience is that you could get sent to a job where you have not got a clue what to do and if it all went tits up you could hurt yourself or others around you, Myself if i had to start all over again i would still put the time and learn the trade properly and be the best i can be !!

Thanks Paul thats good know what kind of work i might have to move into, ill be sure to keep my wits about me onsite, personally i would like to start from scratch learn the trade properly and do a good and safe job for me and workmates. cheers for the advice

some good info here boys, good to see, another ticket good to have for uk scaffs is power cradles, as thats what a lot of oz work is, not to sure on the kiwi side, but sounds like a couple of our kiwi boys can heads up on that one.
Hi millwall, is power cradles the same as swing stage?

---------- Post added at 09:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:57 PM ----------

It is true in Aussie you can get a advanced ticket through sitting a two week course
Hey ya paul, yeah bro, from what I understand is that it's more like an apprenticeship in the UK? if you find the right RTO over here, 2 weeks is all it takes. I can't really bag the whole thing because it's the road I took when I came to Aus, green as and no clue but 3 years down the track and all of my experience has come from working along side of some really great scaffys for me honesty was always the best policy, and you do get guys who do talk themselves up on the job, but you can get a pretty good gauge within 10-20mins of starting the job how well a person knows there way around the gear. Alot of the boys I've worked with have spent alot of time on tube and clip out west and prefer it to the kwikstage although there is alot of kwikstage going up these days (not a big fan of Cuplock) lol I'd love more time on the tube but at the moment where I work there isn't a need for it and the kwikstage is more cost effective for the company but given an opportunity I manage to throw it in on the odd job bwahahahaha

Cape and MAS (modern acess) are the big outfits,Orvad, Scaffwest, Waco, GCS, SMS, Sussex Scaffolding, Instant Scaffolding are the local employers, all in the y pages, mostly all system scaffold.

Plenty of work in Perth.

Best of Luck.

Unfortuately boys a Scaffolder / Scaffolding in Australia is only classed as a labourer / High risk work its not recognised as a trade ect.. so obtaining a Basic - Advanced ticket is not that hard these days. Untill the government decide to regulate it properly there will always be Scaffolders out there with advanced tickets & no experience earning the same as Scaffolders that have loads of experience!!!

yes mate

---------- Post added at 02:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:35 PM ----------

yes mate to moriboy about swing stage.

L N G Perth

hello every one out there!!!!
i was trying to find any news on a job starting in western australia perth,
and weather its possible to get out there to work,
if any one could give me any infomation on it to help me get on the right track
i would be very much grateful

Top Bottom