Transom Spacing

Don't panic, the hse will just shut down the rivals job, well that's what seems to happen up here anyway.:cool:

all transome spaces are 900 now are they not 5 trannies to a board

---------- Post added at 07:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:57 PM ----------

6 on lovells sites

900 is on a heavy duty 3kn mate, all others 1.2m..

no sg4 rail and you will prob get a personal prohibition served on you or sommat like that these days cos you would not only be a danger to yourself but alsoo if yopu landed on someone!

nothing to do with tranny spaces , i done a bit of work for dsl and it seems they get round having to use the step or the advanced guard rail by giving their scaffs a double lanyard , fuckin hilarious , is this allowed ? another good one was the supervisor saying to me " take your cards if youve got them , youll need them for this site". SCAFFOLDING IN GLASGOW IS A MUGS GAME , if i could drive , id drive a bus in glasgow rather than scaffold , same 300 quid or thereabouts and i know which would be easier

Doesn't matter who you are JB or how big you think you are hand rails are for everyone. It doesn't matter how many lanyards you have on your harness the law is now collective protection which means they would have a lot of talking to do if someone fell on one of their jobs.

i couldnt have put it better , well said , i dont know the rules/laws regarding this method or if its allowed , but in the glasgow lego building game it seems anything goes , when you go from petro chemicals and offshore back to the sites its fuckin unbelievable , you see safety issues everywhere

Shouldn't really be the case and it's been a while since I was last on a rig but do they use advanced guard rail out there now?

I know they weren't up until a year ago but could have changed now. As for the other concerns it's not what they do it's what they have paper work that says they do.

no, aom , not that i know of , what i found funny about this situation is that when the supervisor gives you the double lanyard there is no , ok this lets you work without the step or adv guard system , all these rules just dont come into play and are not even spoken of on sites in glasgow , when i worked in germany last year we worked without harness or hard hat and had beers at lunch , and that was at the german police training college , scaffolding on sites in glasgow has the harness , hard hat and beers at lunch but certainly no laws/rules regarding scaffolding.

while im ranting id just like to say thanks again to the ncc for the hop up card for brickies and labourers , soon to have an affect on scaffolders lives all over scotland

Not only the NCC they are all at it. I was asked to supply the material for a 2 day course to run at a fekin hotel here last weekend. Told them get tae.

Surprises me to hear you think the sites in Glasgow are rough as, it's again been a while since I was anywhere but here and maybe I should get out more but most sites I was ever one were top notch. Maybe a sign of the times.

Doesn't matter who you are JB or how big you think you are hand rails are for everyone. It doesn't matter how many lanyards you have on your harness the law is now collective protection which means they would have a lot of talking to do if someone fell on one of their jobs.

Sorry but it is not the "law is now"!!

I think legislation has said no working at open edge since 2005.

So what happened between 2005 & 2012?

We all of a sudden are deemed to be stupid & want to act like lemmings!!

More down to training :notrust:

Reasonably Practicable

That meant workable & affordable. SG4 10 & TG 20 are neither!!!!!!!!!!!!

Give me the statistics as to how many scaffolders have fallen whilst carrying out their normal duties over the last 5 year.

Then lets take this further!!!!!!!!!

Ragscaff

You already know the answer to these questions Stewart and to be honest I still think it is the law if it's legislative which I believe it is. We all know it was there in 2005 but technology had not caught up yet, I know it's not the first time you have heard this but don't shoot me I just do what I'm told, I also want those working with me to be safe and if that means hemping over the hand rail well that's just another skill they will have to learn whilst loosing others like surfing bare steel.

SG4, TG20, etc. are not the law but are guidance. Or industry best practice.

If there was a fatality or major accident involving a scaffolder falling from height because they hadn't erected an advanced guardrail or a board snapped because it wasn't supported every 1.2m on a dummy lift, the director of scaffold company and any of the managers and supervisors responsible for the injured party could go to court (either magistrates or crown in uk with maximum sentence of 2 yrs prison and unlimited fines)

In court, although u haven't directly broken 'a law' your company isn't working to industry best practice and won't have a leg to stand on. Ignorance is not a get out clause.
Every company in uk must have access to 'competent health and safety advice' (which is a law) so to say you didn't know means you have broken this law.

The possibility outcome of a fall from height heavily out weigh's the cost of erecting an advanced guardrail in the eyes of any courts in my opinion so to say it isn't workable and affordable won't get you out of jail.

Although I totally agree with you that it is a waste of time and effort, and i think nasc should go back to SG4:05 with regard to adv. guard rail.
Also Tg20:08, wats the point of an advanced scaffolder if every job has to be designed?
Client: can you remove that standard so we can dig a trench?
2005 Scaff: yes no problem il spur it up,
Client: thank you, here have lots more work,
2012 Scaff no I need a design, £200 and 2 days notice please.
Client, your firm is sh1te...

What prompted the writing of SG4:10? I may be very wrong, it wont be the first time but it was the work at height regulation which in my book is a law like any other. SG is obviously the guidance to help the operators comply with their legal requirements.

Yes, the WAH regs is the law and SG (scaffold guidance) is guidance to help us work to within the law.

On way to look at a job today 15 mins away from my house,
Saw 2 Scaff's working from back of a wagon erecting front of a house in trainers, no harness, no helmet.

Further down road saw a Scaff erecting around a shopping centre wearing all ppe going, harness, helmet, glasses, full hi-vis trousers and coat!

The bit I don't understand is, if you don't like using the step don't use it, there is more than one way to comply with the regulations, if you have a preference then use that.

for non working lifts i tend to just have transoms on doubles on the standards with no intermed transoms.. jus lap the fecking boards along...until working lift> 1.2>4 to a 13... unless your a fat c*nt or the boards are old and rotten, the boards aint gona snap when lapped along

---------- Post added at 12:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:04 PM ----------

The bit I don't understand is, if you don't like using the step don't use it, there is more than one way to comply with the regulations, if you have a preference then use that.

bang on matey.. i just stand on the upper hand rail and clip onto the ledger if need be... standing on a scaff step is no safer, you can still fall onto your working lift... then again if eyes can not see, back to the good old ways.

i never bother to measure in the handrail for above either, jus slap it in for show then alter it from above...

Without checking can anyone tell me is there defined limit to transom spacings on non working lifts.
We all know roughly what we can expect a board to carry just wandering on legality???

I do mine usually at 1.2m centres... but then again, it depends what job im on.

Some sites want a bit more beef in a Scaffold - so i do them at roughly 1m centres and some sites are more lax, so i just work according to how the site is.

Mostly at 1.2m centres though, tbh.

Top Bottom