thoughts

If you 2 dont know, what chance do us mere mortals have??
As for acronyms,whats the point if it takes a page to explain it.:rolleyes:

I pity the first poor scaff who is asked to tether that 21 foot ladder beam to himself.

I know this can't work in all situations, but what about Avoiding the problem in the first place. Barrier the area below off?

MorningImk,
How big an area would you need to barrier off to catch these items? We all use exclusion zones but as was seen in London this week a short length of tube falling off a scaffold has traveled some 15m across a road before reaching the street below and may well have traveled further if it had not struck the building opposite.

It would be an interesting exercise in most small outlying villages let alone towns and cities.

Evening Alan, your point is why I included the proviso that it wouldn't work in all situations. As with any robust risk assessment, remove or avoid if possible. I also doubt very much that tethering anything would have been enough to avoid the tragic incident in London. Shouldn't stop us from discussing or attempting to make sure it doesn't happen again though.

Evening Alan, your point is why I included the proviso that it wouldn't work in all situations. As with any robust risk assessment, remove or avoid if possible. I also doubt very much that tethering anything would have been enough to avoid the tragic incident in London. Shouldn't stop us from discussing or attempting to make sure it doesn't happen again though.

I'm all for discussing the issues but as you will have noted on the thread related to the London incident there were plenty of after the fact experts making throw away comments about how it should have been done WITHOUT taking a look at the particular set of circumstances.

I know QFS to demonstrate a high level of professionalism in their approach to RAMS going into considerable detail and I would be sure they have done the same on this occasion.

I am more than happy to discuss most elements of scaffolding with anybody that has an interest, question or opinion but uniformed conjecture in incidents like these is more damaging than constructive.

Back to the issue, seriously if anyone does have a formula or HSE/NASC guidelines for working out the size of an exclusion zone I would be grateful for it.

Regards
Alan

Last edited:
Top Bottom