thoughts

nodski

Reaction score
whats peoples thoughts on tethered tools and hard hats with chin straps ?

Tethered tools are an affront to common sense and the risk assessment process. Chin straps have their place.

I really don't see the point in tethered tools when all the heavy long kit we are using isn't .

If you take a look at the way the industry is heading it won't be long before we are back to Steeple Jacks. One Man tied on, fewer components = minimal risk.

System will be the long term way forward utilizing ledgers/standards with welded on fittings (Cuplok/Layher etc)

Not sure what the best way to tether these would be, don't think I would want a 17kg standard tied to my belt if it fell over the edge?
Tethered fittings a valiant effort and a way forward but not sure how practical in the long term?? or the practicality on every job?

Hats and spanners etc can't see a reason not to tether them, that said I am not using them every day on site so can only comment with the best of intentions.

Ive issued our guys with wah helmets which have a 4 way chinstrap built in normally the guys flip it up to sit on the top of the helmets untill required we also issue terhers for the IWs but tbh most guys dont bother but they also understand that without it if they bend ot they mend it

Its all a question of conditioning I suppose. Most who dont like the idea are old skool. Places like the states oz and nz its par for the course ,no debate.

I pity the first poor scaff who is asked to tether that 21 foot ladder beam to himself.

I know this can't work in all situations, but what about Avoiding the problem in the first place. Barrier the area below off?

I pity the first poor scaff who is asked to tether that 21 foot ladder beam to himself.

I know this can't work in all situations, but what about Avoiding the problem in the first place. Barrier the area below off?

MorningImk,
How big an area would you need to barrier off to catch these items? We all use exclusion zones but as was seen in London this week a short length of tube falling off a scaffold has traveled some 15m across a road before reaching the street below and may well have traveled further if it had not struck the building opposite.

It would be an interesting exercise in most small outlying villages let alone towns and cities.

Generally most drop or exclusion zones are based on 3m up 1m out. On some projects this is rigidly enforced with instant dismissal being the penalty for entering without the required permission. This obviously have an impact on other construction progress especially when scaffolding large vessels etc in congested areas.
Obviously this would be impossible to do in a busy street. Years ago most of the scaffolding in high pedestrian and shopping areas was done on a Sunday back when shops only opened 6 days a week.
One project I worked on insisted on catch fans at every 10 metres.

Generally most drop or exclusion zones are based on 3m up 1m out. On some projects this is rigidly enforced with instant dismissal being the penalty for entering without the required permission. This obviously have an impact on other construction progress especially when scaffolding large vessels etc in congested areas.
Obviously this would be impossible to do in a busy street. Years ago most of the scaffolding in high pedestrian and shopping areas was done on a Sunday back when shops only opened 6 days a week.
One project I worked on insisted on catch fans at every 10 metres.

Much the same as that Spanner.
You are correct London no longer has a quite time it is a 24 hour city 7 days a week.

The issue, from what I can tell from the photos of the London incident is that fans may not have prevented the incident. It would appear that a series of circumstances have come together creating the perfect storm scenario where by the tube has traveled almost as far horizontally as it did vertically.

From the pics there was a gantry 8m long with an additional fan at each end of 1.5m all by 3m wide with 2 protection levels of boards and beams etc at the low level. The tube landed around 10m outside the protected zone.

My point is that we all know we need to do as much as possible but how do you know when it is enough? easy to lob into a conversation make an exclusion zone, it's knowing how to much is enough and under what circumstances.

regards
Alan

Top Bottom