The History of Scaffolding

Anyone else here that the DH was invented by DH Jones of SGB?

I heard it a number of time in the sixties.

History of Palmer's etc.

Hello Charlie (and other readers),

How are you? This is Mickey (Terry) Marks here scaffolder, cradlehand and steeplejack. Wanted to say thanks for the cool picture of the wooden pole scaffolding. I started out in scaffolding in 1967 at age 16 and am still in the business today SCI | Scaffolding Consultants International - In the 60's, I was fortunate to wooden pole cradle work for Peter Cox, Tasker & Booth, Palmers, Stevens & Carter, Coventry Scaffolding and SGB heavy suspension group. One of my by best friends as well fellow scaffolder & cradlehand named Dennis Wu (RIP) taught me the art of wooden pole cradle rigging, Dennis was the best cradlehand I ever met, he could do a wire bond up faster than most scaffolders could tighten up a fitting. I have been writing a book on scaffolding, it has some of the history of scaffolding and the book itself is on product knowledge and estimating & contracts. For the sake of correct history on some of the comments above, for the record please see below a picture of Edwin J Palmer the inventor and founder of Palmer's Travling Cradles. I think you had mentioned him as Hendry. Also, Chris, the SGB history you mentioned there regrding the first frame scaffolding brought to market in 1944, this is true that SGB brought them to market in the UK; however, the sectional scaffold frame was invented in the United States by a stone mason named Mr. Reinhold (Rein) Uecker of Milwaukee, Wisconsin around 1935, he was the founder of Safway Steel Scaffolding of Wisconsin, now known as Safway Services LLC, one of the largest scaffolding firms in North America. Please accept this correction in good faith, it is important that we pass on all our knowledge and equally important that the ifo is accurate. For my book, I had to do extensive research on the intrduction which covers the history, many of the items you fellow scaff's mentione above are covered im my book all the way back to Islambard Kingdom Brunel, the greatest Engineer of the Industrial Revolution.
Best regards to all,
Mickey (T) Marks

Edwin-J-Palmer-1880.JPG

DH Coupler and SGB

Anyone else here that the DH was invented by DH Jones of SGB?

I heard it a number of time in the sixties.

Dennis, How are you? Mr. D. H Jones that you are referring to from SGB is correct as one of the founders of SGB. David Henry Jones and Daniel Palmer-Jones were both the founders of SGB. They developed both the Band & Plate and the DH Coupler which is short for Diagonal & Horizontal Coupler.

here is a small caption from my book.

It is of interest to note here that in 1906, Mr. Daniel Palmer Jones and Mr. David Henry Jones had started their own company called the Patent Rapid Scaffold Tie Company. This same company continued successfully during this period and around 1920 was renamed the Tubular Scaffolding Company, Ltd. By 1922, this company became public and was again renamed Scaffolding (Great Britain) Ltd. This company was known internationally all the way into the twentieth century as SGB.

Mr. D. H Jones that you are referring to from SGB is correct as one of the founders of SGB. They developed both the Band & Plate and the DH Coupler which is short for Diagonal & Horizontal Coupler.

I tried posting links to the Patent Office showing the original applications but the forum would not accept them. 1928 ish from memory.

Were the Palmer's Cradle brackets clipped to the underside of a needle at approx 6' centres by a split and welded swivel SGB coupler? Thew were welded to flatbar that was bent down and in on each side to take two tubes that formed the two runners for the jockey wheels.

I erected miles of them in South Africa in the seventies before things went electric.

Also, anyone else ever erect a Heavy Suspended scaffold using the old ratcheting HS drums? I had used them for net suspension and the stabilising of line crossing jobs in the sixties but in SA we built the original heavy duty suspended platforms off them

Great pictures, fellas! Great information as well. I should find some information on the Werners and their Atlanta frame and brace operation. They created Saf-T-Green, which for decades was the premier scaffolding company in the Southeast.

AFTER A WEE GANDER OF MISTER PALMER AND HIS POSE FOR THE CAMERA JUST WHAT WOULD THE WATCHDOG AND MONOPLY THAT IS THE NASC THINK OF ONE OF THE FOUNDING FATHERS BEHAVING LIKE A SCAFFOLDER AND PRACTICEING THE ART OF HAVING A WEE LAUGH BUT ALSO HAVING A BIT OF RISK ASSESSING NOTE 3 POINTS OF CONTACT WHILE ON THE WIRE ;)
MORE TO THE POINT WHAT WOULD THE FOUNDING FATHERSS THINK OF THE LEGISLATION AND SO CALLED BEST PRACTICE BEING FORCED ON GUYS TRYING TO MAKE A CRUST :mad:

Hi, I am new to this forum and come to it with some very particular needs. I too was a scaffolder and spent seven years loving everyday I was fixing!! Now though I am in the third year of an architectural degree but am still in love with scaffolding!! (Does anyone else dream about scaffolding?? I am always pinching my girlfriend's back and twisting her skin as if I was doing up a fitting with my fingers!!) As part of the third year we have to write a dissertation and I really want to focus my question on scaffolding. I was hoping to understand how scaffolding has maybe changed over the years ( If what I have researched is true, there was even evidence of scaffolding on the Pyramids!!) I need to find litreature or evidence of historical applications of scaffolding and if possible I would like to find some litreature that supports any findings. Unfortunatly scaffolding is not the most written about subject and I am finding it hard to source any credable information. I also want to explore the possibility that scaffolding has now infact become an accepted feature/extension of our built environment. There are so many examples of scaffolding being utilised for more than just working at heights.. artists and designers have now also turned to scaffolding as a form of artwork if you will. Ben Long | Scaffolding Sculptures
I would be interested to know your thoughts and feelings on the matter, and whether you think scaffolding can infact be a thing of beauty. Also, any information or links relevant to the subject would be gratefully appreciated!!

thats better than some of the jobs you see today,top picture though charlie

---------- Post added at 07:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:28 PM ----------

good stuff Ben Longs artwork pushes the boundries of scaffolding very clever,

---------- Post added at 07:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:35 PM ----------

great pictures Viking where do you find them mate?

---------- Post added at 08:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:49 PM ----------

When we used the poles and bonds you used the measurement from your elbow to the outside of a clenched fist to give you the distance sticking out off the roof and lob 1-56lb wieght in each corner,and hang your track on that,sorted!!!

who remembers mills scaffolding and they Meyer Frame system standards were 19ft long with 3 lugs divided between the 19ft where you clip in a meter frame which made your working lift.done a big job with this many years ago at Tate and Lyle silver town.

Remembering back to the days of Graystons scaffolding,Tasker & Booth, and Turners all had fantastic Scaffolders that could knock spots of the guys of today I'm sorry to say, But we move forward with better gear and better training etc.....................wheres the years gone??

Yeah, it is. No fuss, just getting the job done.

Great to see that there is still interest in this thread...

It's really good to see that this theme has generated so much interest, so I reckon it's time to add some updates......

.......The thing is: History has a habit of repeating itself and that's why it's always useful to know your history.....how else could we eliminate some of the mistakes of our pasts.....and learn from the good elements that tend to get forgotten.

I'm kicking off with a diagram of a typical Wooden Pole Putlog Scaffold that would have been very similar to this for a couple of hundred years right up to the 1940's or even 1950's in some places, despite tubular metal scaffolding already being widely available.

Note the Uprights: One in a barrel of sand or earth and another that would have been driven down two or three feet into the earth. The Putlogs and Board Bearers were square section and typically about 3 inches by three, although that could vary. I was told once by an old Scaffolder that they would always give the Transom/ Putlog a tap before fixing it to ensure that it wasn't cracked - You can tell by the sound.

Planfortypicalwoodenputlogscaffold.jpg

Animation1historyscaff2.gif

---------- Post added at 02:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:39 PM ----------

Pictured below is a contemporary Artist's illustration of a typical late 18th Century Wooden Pole Scaffold.

As was the norm with this type of Scaffold the Facade/ Sway Braces are crossed and go from the bottom of one corner to the top of the opposite side.
That technique was still used in early Tubular Scaffolds.......as shall be seen in a later photograph.

Scaffoldlate18thcentury.jpg

---------- Post added at 04:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:49 PM ----------

The photo below here represents a Slung Scaffold from the building of the Metropolitan Line in London in 1860.

The upright poles seen in the picture are likely to be Temporary Standards.

SlungScaffoldMetropolitainRailway1861.jpg

Top Bottom