super scaffs

barnsey

The Company in question's Trade test consists of a touch screen list of Questions---however, perhaps a Practical Trade Test in the Yard would be of benefit to identify the defecates in competency/capability levels. This is a Safety Issue, they are a danger to themselfs and others...

daz

Got to agree with you there M8---the Offshore Service Companies invest very little in the way of Training, they depend on Experienced Nomadic Scaffs to carry and Mentor the less Experienced one---then when the work tails off---the good one's are given the gun powder and the dross is kept on---aye M8 it stinks---

its the same onshore,theres the lads what speak there minds and can do any job, then theres the yes men and brown nosers who can only talk about puting a job up,whos the man gonna keep on,the later fkin one thats who:mad:

Never a truer statement the Heid...

And garry funny you say safety his dad is HSE in beechams haha.

Last edited:
just shows you how to become a ****** like the young know nothing supervisors school and have no idear till they get a smack:bigsmile:

Too true about the brow nose brigade, started with a company a few weeks ago where the manager has a severe dislike to me because i speak my mind, but since I started i've been sent to oversee and build a 15 Tonne loading platform, a truss out for a lift shaft, then a beam bridge for another shaft and finally a night shift building a T+F crash deck, mainly because the yes men they have aren't capable of doing the fecking things

Stef, aye it's usualy the case eh---a good erector is always considered a threat to some Managers and Supervisors---its an insecurity thing ;)

You'v been buzy eh---just getin the rust of the Tartan Banners before you come up to Abdn :eek:

mair like gettin the rust outa ma brain m8 LOL, took about 1/2 an hour of lookin at the drawing for the 15 tonner before it made sense LMAO.

Talk about a Eureka moment!!!

was like suddenly " I remember these, I can read these" LOL

Stef---it like if you'v never been swimin for a while---some c"^t throughs yi into the deep end and you soon remember eh lolooooo. aye, yi cana keep a good Man doone M8, well, nae for lang ;)

Tinheads just continue to stick it up em,i would sarcastically ask if theres anything more challenging coming up,would really get up the goat of the fella who doesnt seem to like you so much,grind the sh1thouse down mate..:laugh:

scaff2010

An Offshore Academy was proposed by Graham Tran Unite Union Offshore Region ( Sadly now Deceased ) a few years ago to Train Street Scaffolders for Offshore Operations, however, the Government with drew its backing and NASC blanked the initiative. It is now left to the good will of the experienced Scaffs to informally Train the Green Hands...:nuts:

See "STOIC" Document in the Scaffolders Study Group, or P.M. me with your e-mail address for a Copy, it well worth a look...

The proposel mentioned by gary should also work to the opposite effect as far to many scaffs who have worked offshore for years just are not capable of street work,to many years sat idle,just making enough of a show doesnt stand them in good stead if they run short of work on the rigs,have come accross many lads in this position and they all seem to find it a massive struggle,a lot of them are usless on any decent sized jobs..

I must admit when it comes to lads who have worked Indusrial Site's most of their career coming to street work is in most cases a big shock for them especially when they get their "List" in the morning....How many jobs!! and what do you mean we have to load our own wagon!! is usually the stock response.

We are not slave drivers by any stretch of the imagination but these lads in some instances have been molly coddled and are set in their ways (On the whole cracking scaffolders and quality is very rarely an issue) our regular lads tend to blitz them on productivity though.

Also at the end of the day they will just dissapear back to the Stations etc when the next one comes up.

In regard to training...I think we have gone over the top....I think a happy mediumn needs to be found.

Just my opinion..no offence ment to anyone.

PW

I would certainly agree with your comments about training, especially the young lads on the apprentiships. I have no problem with sending the boys away for an extra week to give them a chance to soak it all in but what the hell is achieved on the first 3 week block. Every single one of them are bored out their brains on that one as they already have some experience on site. They get nothing out of it, I get nothing out of it so that only leaves the citb with something to gain.

Yes have to agree with you PW. I worked 6 years for Scottish & Newcastle the big brewery in Manchester working on lifting frames, support jobs, inside fermenting vessels, around tanks, truss outs etc. then I left to go work for anouther firm working on price. Boy did I get a shock:eek:. I couldn't keep up with the pace at first. Some lads were taking big ££ home and was scratching my head come pay day. But soon got up to speed to earn a crust and learned never to under estimate the importance of a good labourer.

daz your right about filling seats on choppers mate ive seen some right ones out here? There was one lad out last year who we asked to go and get some 6' tubes he didnt know what a 6 was we told him that there the same size as him? The lad was seen lying down on the ground Measuring himself against the tube now come on the offshore company (RBG) sent this lad for a trade test before he got here so somthing's a miss. Now ive seen a lot off good ad-hoc ads get paid off at the end of the season and this kid is still on for RBG?????????

OH MY F**KING WORD!!! please tell me that is a joke??! that guy should be in a home for special folk not offshore!! dose it not make you feel unsafe having folk like that in your gang?!!

The problem is that the avdanced course is to easy imo,when i completed the assesed route 5 yrs ago the 2 lads i got paired up with instantly asked ne if i could read and understand the drawings as they couldnt,fair play to them for their honesty but it made the responsible one for 3 men to achieve the required standard.If the course as i understand now lasts 2 wks,why is it not possible to assess the potential cardholders for the 1st wk doing the bog standard tasks the course sets down,and then for the 2nd wk give them different scenarios which they could be likely to come accross while out performing everyday works.This way proper scaffs with proper knowledge and common sense would always come out on top,those who didnt meet the standard would then have to get more practical experience for 6mths or a year until they could then retake the course,that way nobody who is not up to the job slips through the net.

i make you right daz with the advanced course being to easy. when i done my 1 day assesment for my part 2 i was watching the advanced boys doing their final assesments and to be honest it was a joke. never have i seen a temporary roof 13ft off the floor and they didnt even put the purlins on the beams all the instructor said was YEH THAT WILL DO TAKE IT DOWN. the same when the boys done their hanger the sent their trapeze down jumped down fixed all the tube and boarded out and again the instructor said THAT WILL DO. they should be given real life situations that you actually come up against wether it be on site or out on the street. roll on this september for my advanced.

Top Bottom