Starting my own firm.

Today has reaffirmed my belief that I'm 100% commited to starting my own firm!
Scaffolders I where come from have a distinct character trait that I can't stand, although on the whole most are decent scaffolders. I've worked and lived with some of my home town lads while working away for a few years now and accepted them as mates. Now I've never really done this because I see my real mates as the ones I've had since I was a kid. I've always regarded the scaffolders from my own town as snakes (going on past experience) and kept my distance. But now I live & work with them I sort of came to like them haha. Well more fool me. Snakes indeed. The job that I'm on now is my last hurrah in Petrochemical industry, there will be a strict no snakes allowed policy at my firm.

I'm not going to name my home town but there is a high volume of Scaffolders in said town. I've worked all over with all sorts, not even Swansea jacks or Boro lads are as bad as my home town snakes Haha rant over that's better. All the best.

A no snakes policy sounds good.

Good luck with that.

Last edited:
Scaffolders I where come from have a distinct character trait that I can't stand, although on the whole most are decent scaffolders. I've worked and lived with some of my home town lads while working away for a few years now and accepted them as mates. Now I've never really done this because I see my real mates as the ones I've had since I was a kid. I've always regarded the scaffolders from my own town as snakes (going on past experience) and kept my distance. But now I live & work with them I sort of came to like them haha. Well more fool me. Snakes indeed. The job that I'm on now is my last hurrah in Petrochemical industry, there will be a strict no snakes allowed policy at my firm.

I'm not going to name my home town but there is a high volume of Scaffolders in said town. I've worked all over with all sorts, not even Swansea jacks or Boro lads are as bad as my home town snakes Haha rant over that's better. All the best.

Hello Jason

What's the name of your home town?

"Hello Jason" I take it Jason is the sad sack who added every scaffolder in the uk on Facebook and then posted vidoes of all his jobs (that he obviously put up single handed....)yes?

Good luck to you. Started on my own last September never looked back. Was lucky as at the time a mate of mine who runs his firm was letting me work for him as I was starting I'm now full time. Where are you located? Pm me I know a very good supplier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have not read all the advise given, sorry if this advise has been given if I was you I'd start a labour only firm, build that up for cash flow and then if you want to go into supply and fix your cash flow won't be so hard hit when clients don't pay on time. I did this way and sold my firm for a large profit. Good luck.

The only thing that's bothering me is, because I've worked in the Petro/chem industry for the cast majority of the time, I don't know any builders roofers etc. So I will have to get a website up and running and get some local advertising going asap.

Once I get settled into running things I want to register with CHAS and Construction line and see what doors that opens for me. I know my local council
use firms who are CHAS registered any owners have any experience with CHAS, Construction line etc good or bad?

Do not take this the wrong way mate but do not run before you can walk if you are now starting out the lst thing you want to be doing is spending to much money on chas or council work for a few year only if you have got a lot of spare money laying around stick with small builders roofers pvc fitters, bread and butter money quick turn round on your gear I do not know what the council is like where you come from but down here they tell you what they are paying and I know a couple of year back they was paying £75, for a 2 lift 8ft tower up and down.

Forget officially recognised sh1te when you're starting off mate, get into some roofers joiners etc who do small jobs ie flue liners , stacks, even window firms that will pay cash there and then, learn the game from the bottom but with people who know the value of cash, that is ultimately what will decide if you sink or swim, small jobs with a bit of gear pays far more than one big job up for months ;)

Do not take this the wrong way mate but do not run before you can walk if you are now starting out the lst thing you want to be doing is spending to much money on chas or council work for a few year only if you have got a lot of spare money laying around stick with small builders roofers pvc fitters, bread and butter money quick turn round on your gear I do not know what the council is like where you come from but down here they tell you what they are paying and I know a couple of year back they was paying £75, for a 2 lift 8ft tower up and down.

Forget officially recognised sh1te when you're starting off mate, get into some roofers joiners etc who do small jobs ie flue liners , stacks, even window firms that will pay cash there and then, learn the game from the bottom but with people who know the value of cash, that is ultimately what will decide if you sink or swim, small jobs with a bit of gear pays far more than one big job up for months ;)

Thanks for reply mate, I did say I would get into CHAS etc when I'm settled into the business. Council work has been a bit of gold of late where I am, and there more redevelopment coming in the next couple of years.

Top Bottom