speed threads!

not 100% sure bud , never had any problems using them whether on stacks or the few jobs ive been involved on that were erected using all mills fittings in fact i like them , take a bit getting used to but once you got it cracked i think they very user friendly as you can rest tubes on top of them , slide tubes over them , they generally sit together quite well too when say basing out using just doubles if you get my meaning

A mills has the same slip factor of any other 'regular' double even when used singly. I think theyre great for basing out. Thing about them is if you need to go double on double it wont make any difference if its mixed in with transoms on clips, for example mid run of a lift. Great for loading bays too. I used to find though, a lot of the old speed threads would wear out causing the bolt to pop.

Show a mills to any new lads and they cringe, makes me laugh.

Last edited:
we have some , but never really used them other than on racks !!! , a couple of lads on here have done a bit with kwikform and use them as everyday fittings , havent seen the question mark singles for a long time are they still legal , know what you mean by the thread - just keeps turning

yes same slip factor , was getting late last night thought we were talking bout using mills on stacks bit of brain freeze i think , the question mark singles like hens teeth now but they were excellent ladder tie clips.

has anyone seen a mills sleeve lately lol

Mills question mark single or hook were great for butting off wall. The knack was, when you put it on the tranny hold it tight to the ledger and as you tighten it would force the standard out, solid as rock then. Any one remember the old Mills half inch 90, big b****rd.

yes it woz square i love mills doubs there ace but a lot of new lads hate them
Mills 90 best in my opinion, but i suppose it's what your used to. Band an Plate with working thumb screw were fasted. Met many scaff's who hated them. but if trained with them you could'nt beat them for speed. SGB swivel was very awkard. The D/H was great, still have a few, use them for toe board return's, saves a deadman.

I started with the b & p, thought fittings were a stupid invention at the time. been using fittings for the last 20 years or so now but still hate the 'sticky willies,'( boulton's pressed steel), especially if you've got some rough cast or something on the tubes.
The only thing I don,t like about band and plates is the boxing at the end of a strip (after they fall off the first lift that they were all stacked nice and neatly on having been passed down from the fifth lift).:nuts::nuts::laugh::D

mills singles ? type, you need fingers like the man from atlantis to wrap one, ffs many have been shot over the field when my temper has gone, great for toeboard fittings though.

Mills doubles are the Dogs dangly bits though, saves on using 'Aberdeens' good kit.

Top Bottom