Simian risk

Don't worry daryl it wasn't for his scaffold failing an inspection

When I was a safety advisor and when carrying out an inspection if I found faults (which you always will if you look hard enough) I always preferred to ask for them to be put right before I completed my report, if they where I would give a good report, I could never give a negative report for minor things, the clients knew how I operated and seemed happy why cause bother to try and make a name for yourself

I agree with what you saying.i think that's the best way also makes people learn new regulations.as wer all still learning everyday

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

I agree with what you saying.i think that's the best way also makes people learn new regulations.as wer all still learning everyday

Totally agree with you there Daryl.
The way i work my inspections is that the Scaffold company get a report with virtually every item i pick up on and it is then down to the company/boss to decide on what he passes on to the Scaffolder himself,as you rightly say "we're all still learning" and hopefully whatever i pick up on is not seen as a dig at the Scaffolder personally but as just a bit of guidance as to how to conform to the regulations properly and legally.
The actual site inspection just gets the bare minimum of what i pick up on, as they don't like their inspection records to show a long list of minors.
As always nowadays it's all about covering your arse.

Should the site not get the full report as they are ultimately responsible for what happens on their site? If god forbid something did go wrong and you where seen to be giving 2 differing reports how would that look?

Your one must of gone straight from uni to inspectors course then straight to your site lol.i appreciate they have jobs to do and the rules are the rules but sometimes they should be realistic.sometimes the rules don't work and u have to think outside the box

I wouldnt say thinking outside the box so much. When I attended the course they did say there can be an element of experience that will kick in. I.e, thats not a 1000% to the letter but it is the best practise in that instance.

Correct or not, if someone is inspecting a scaffold personnally I think experience would win everytime.

But as we all know, the up and coming generation only know how to do anything from a text book......:laugh:

Should the site not get the full report as they are ultimately responsible for what happens on their site? If god forbid something did go wrong and you where seen to be giving 2 differing reports how would that look?

If i was being paid as an independent inspector or by the main contractor then yes i no doubt would report everything back to them,but as i work for the Scaffold company it's not going to do them any favors by giving the actual contractor a list of minor faults which would be fairly meaningless to them.
Most main contractors are not going to be interested in minor faults such as the 25mm overhang of a Transom or a couple of ledger braces are not fixed within 300mm of the node point.But if these minor issues are passed back to the Scaffolder then he will hopefully avoid getting picked up on this in the future and then everyone's happy.
In all honesty it's been fairly rare to see anything i would deem serious that might cause serious safety concerns and when i have i've been straight on the phone to get it rectified immediately if i can't sort it out myself.
I think that as long as the inspector has got the knowledge and experience and uses common sense then inspections are only going to help us all out in the end.

All depends on who's hired you to do the inspection. If the scaffold company have hired you then as posted above try and get the scaffolders to address any faults you have found before you write your report. If main contractor as hired you then you should give them a report on what you have found.

All depends on who's hired you to do the inspection. If the scaffold company have hired you then as posted above try and get the scaffolders to address any faults you have found before you write your report. If main contractor as hired you then you should give them a report on what you have found.

That's it DS if the scaffold company are paying for the inspection you give them the report and they should then pass it on to the MC or PC, if it's the site that's paying they should get it. Either way the site should really know what condition their scaffold is in.

That's it DS if the scaffold company are paying for the inspection you give them the report and they should then pass it on to the MC or PC, if it's the site that's paying they should get it. Either way the site should really know what condition their scaffold is in.

In all honesty Tom if the Scaffold company passed on the report that's given to them it would probably panic the main contractor into thinking the scaffold is either unsafe or poorly erected,when in all honesty it's a few minor faults that any competent inspector/Scaffolder would overlook and allow the Scaffold company to rectify before the next 7 day inspection.
Most main contractors just want their Scaffold's passed as fit for use by someone that is qualified to do this outside of their own company,then if something does go wrong then it's easier to point the finger of blame at others.

Top Bottom