Scaffolders Tape Measure

cat the trouble starts when they try and convert one to the other , i started using metric a few years ago and now prefer it , trouble is i still shout for a long un

philliomaximus, there are a few guys out there who could do with a long un haha! maybe its just me being old fashioned I know that metric is easier to use but when you`ve been scaffolding for 28 years a board is 9 inches wide

225mm , i was brought up on metric , price jobs in metric , but still refer to gear in footage

yer i know cat i been in the game over 30 years it aint easy but if you start using metric you will find it easier i even bought a metric only tape so i had know choice but to measure in metric problems only come when you try and convert

It`s not a bad idea but is it really that hard to make a staff with the required measurements on it , I don`t think so .
hi scaffarobbo. same u always use a staff. put the marks on it for boards,handrails & lift heights,saves the tape from gettin wrecked in the bad weather.

---------- Post added at 03:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:41 PM ----------

I agree, making a staff aint that hard, i found that a tape would only last me so long!
very true

i use a cloths line prop pen fits nicely in the clip on top reach a 2.4 meter lift nicely and marked the handrail level with a hacksaw

i have grown up with feet and inches,dont know what i would do if they come out with a metric tad,theres always a conversion.but a tad to what,its took me ages to get the accent right.

We tend to mix it up a little, a week is less than half a bubble, then you are on to a b*w hair which is less than a quarter, then a sharren nanjiani for the technical stuff.

Back to the original question, I think it's a brilliant idea. I don't mean to be condescending in anyway shape or form but one guy in particular I know would love it. The mistakes that I could save with that would amaze you. If you can read a tape you will probably think it's for dummies but not every one is so good with figures unless their reading their pay slip. As with most guy's on here I don't need to measure hand rail heights, if I put the gate of the double against the buckle of my belt I know it's bang on, when I inspect a job built by others I know right away if the hand rail is right or wrong just by leaning against it.

T b honest it will not work in my opinion,unless it is a bog standard job it's easy enough t know your 9Xtables,unless u think u r very smart n know your 225xtables.
I will not bore u with other things unless provoked

Hi grum, don't want to provoke you but even the bog standard jobs can go wrong, better not go in to details as the walls have ears but I can think of a few. I think it would surprise you the amount of scaffs that struggle with numbers.

cool aom,you are right
i,ve seen a few ,4 to 3 boards in 60ft and scaffolds that look like a rhombus.Most scaffs i know only dont know numbers when they are overpaid,but if they are 1p short they are straight on phone.

hi all i use a bit of batton cut to the width i need, cost nothing and bang on every time :push:

Hahahahaha Grum we had a lad once always wanted to fix so i let him put up a 2 lift tower while i went to the bank he went from 4 to 3 boards in one lift i called it the leaning tower of bob still cant work out how he managed it.

you shud know all handrail height and toe board heights if u have done your courese wat a silly idea

hi all i use a bit of batton cut to the width i need, cost nothing and bang on every time :push:
agree with Bluntjust, old ways the best tried an proven and quickest.Keep it simple dont complicate things. Brandy.

Alreet, used to work with a Scaff who used to keep taking his hard hat off every so often and wiping the brow with the sleeve of his coveralls, i could never work out why until he dropped his hat off a job one day, i picked it up to throw up to him and low and behold the 9x table written in his hat!! clever b.....d, wish i'd thought of that lol

Top Bottom