Scaffolder to Scaffold Designer

Hi Guys,
In deed it was, Phills post makes the generalisation that Engineers put in kit on a no need basis and this insulting, it is the equivalent of calling a scaffolder sloppy. Whilst I am sure some posts are made with the intention of eliciting a response I note this comment regards Engineers is again echoed by everhigher.

There are much respected Scaffolding Engineers out there who design economically and professionally, If you need some points of contact I can help with that.

In the interests of closing this out to enable others to get a word in edgewise I would say UK Engineers are designing scaffolds that fall outside the code and as such require greater consideration. The scaffolds that fall within the code to which you refer called “standard scaffolds” are not as designed by your local Engineer they are in face as laid out to European requirements. I would suggest that most UK Engineers are not in favour of the current standards but they are however required to follow then as are we all.

Stay well,
Alan

'enable others to get a word in edgewise'

have you seen the lenght of your posts! you've put to much in it again.

My posts may be wordy some may even say verbose, personally I think there is just enough in them to make my point stand up.
Regards Alan

i also think its difficult to type it down and not sound correct, or the way you could have put it face to face.

but everyone knows the meaning of a headbut:laugh::laugh:

hi guys i am a scaffolder trying to become a scaffold design engineer can any of you tell me how this is possible and what courses i need to take?

many thanks

scott wood

What a great thread.. not read it for a week and 'bang'.. an explosion! I think you all make valid points, and the key is embracing everyones ideas.

Just as there are half-arsed scaffs out there putting up crap without harnesses on, giving the good ones a bad name, there are crap, half-arsed unprofessional engineers out there giving us a bad name. I know at least half a dozen that are not up to it, as I am sure Mark and Alan do, just in the same way as you guys know and see crap scaffolding being put up and people getting away with it.

I think this thread is a great example of what the forum is all about and I hope everyone can see that: good, in depth discussions where everyones view is important.

I have only a small point to make about gear in scaffolds. If any of my clients ask why something is there I will tell them, if they make another suggestion I'll either try and include it and change it for the better or, explain why its not possible. In our team we go as far as counting the fittings in particular sections to see if you can do it with less! Two less fittings on a repeating pattern adds up, maybe the difference between one lorry and two, or 3 days or 4. That's what I learnt from the commercial guys in a previous job and thats how we approach our designs. I can't say the same for others but I like to think its one of the reasons our clients keep using us.

B

hi guys i am a scaffolder trying to become a scaffold design engineer can any of you tell me how this is possible and what courses i need to take?

many thanks

scott wood

You have got to be kidding me woodster, if you didn't get it from that you are as well giving it up now.:eek:

Great thread BMB, didn't quite go to plan but thought I'd better lay off it a bit before the rattles got thrown out the pram. I agree with what you are saying about good and bad everywhere as I have seen it in every walk of life but would just like to point out Philiosmaximus said he knew of more than one designer used that technique which means he has met a couple of poor ones and by sharing that information does not mean he is slating the trade.

Anyway, enough said, I enjoyed talking with you as far as allowed and if you ever want to punt some generic drawings that a small outfit could use to cover most applications give me a shout. T&F and Genlock.;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom