Scaffold Art Installation

extra180

Reaction score
I want to construct a scaffold 'art sculpture' at a public event, 6-10mts tall approx.

It obviously wont conform to an Independent Tied Scaffold form, so can I assume it would require structural calcs to be made.

Would most likely require structural guidance,

as BIG GAV says,

what you planning?

hi Big Gav,
Thanks for the offer, the installation will be early next year, so when I have something finalised I will send a sketch over.
Thanks
Extra

Morning Extra,
If you are building an art exhibit using tube and fittings it may not necessarily constitute it being a scaffold. As such it would may not come under be affected by the likes of the TG20 or British Standards.

The key to this may be, is the structure accessible by the public?
If it is there for the public to climb over then it would need to be designed as a scaffold for public use and the loads allowances are predetermined.

Hope it gos well
regards
Alan

Hi Alan,
Thanks for the comments, it would be at a public outdoor event, such as a music festival.
If it doesn't fall under TG20 or BS, then does it not require a 'Scafftag' ?
Is the crux whether the public have access to it ? or whether it needs to support 'persons'.

It would be 6-10 metre tall structure, I have experience of erecting scaffold, so consider myself competent to some degree to erect it safely. Would it not need some form of inspection ?

Yes it would be constructed using standard tube and fittings.

Thanks
Extra

Hi Extra
not entirely sure but if not a scaffold for third party use it may well not come under the regs.
I seem to recall a scaffold on here that someone had built on their own house for their own use which was a mess and could endanger the surrounding premises and public but it did not come under the regs or even the HSE??

You would need to check with the controlling authority as to their requirements. whilst it is in a public area it is "A work of art" constructed using tube and fittings and not intended for access by others. A scaff tag is the responsibility of the end user not the scaffold provider.

Whilst stages at a pop concert are not intended for the public they are designed to accept a public loading to accommodate the likelihood of crowds of rushing the stage dont think the same criteria apply to your work of art?

I would however point out that at 6-10m in height constructed of steel etc it would be exposed to wind and elements and should be designed and constructed to withstand same.

Regards
Alan

hi Alan where do you work in Dubai ?

I have been thinking doing this for a long time - doing sculptures using scaffold

hi Alan where do you work in Dubai ?

I have been thinking doing this for a long time - doing sculptures using scaffold

Hi Outward,
My office is in Dubai but I oversee the Middle East Region in general.

I have seen a few sculptures and indeed paintings around scaffolding in my time but not for me to be honest :)
regards
Alan

Keep in mind a structure of that size will weigh quite a bit and the ground conditions could change due to rain etc.
Be very careful although it would be described as a work of art, wouldn't WAHR still apply with regards to your own safety also.
insurance for a job like that would also come into question, who would be responsible for the cost etc.

Great to have an idea, but then everyone comes along with problems that seem to put it down..................Hope it all works out for you mate.

Thanks again for all the replies.
Your right that a scaffold structure erected on private land for private use (and no employees help build or climb it, apart from the owner) does not fall under the HSE's or WAHR regulations.
I would have thought 'due diligence' with regards to those under and around him during construction needs to be shown though.

If the owner could prove competency and experience of erecting Independent Tied Scaffold, would he also be viewed as competent at construction if following a 'model'.

Visible disclaimers would need to be displayed so that people could not climb the structure, and use of barriers around the structure, before and after construction, and during 'display'.

Yes the weight and stability is a serious consideration, especially on wet ground.

Apart from the rain, I'm sure many would try and pour cold water on it, but if thought through don't see why its not possible.

Top Bottom