ScaffGap

Hi weebroxi,

Yes Tooley street was some years back now, I hope all the boys are keeping well. Gerry Gleeson is on the Olympics with Macs and has quite a lot of work coming off apparently...in London!
I'm glad you like ScaffGap....I was scratching the brain matter for many months, coming up with the right design. Fully patented etc, a lot of personal investment, but lets hope its all worthwhile....you will have to help promote the product!!

stay safe!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi daz, The production costs of producing a retractable design would be costly and drive the end user price up quite significantly. Although a telescopic version of ScaffGap would be a great product, it would be an expensive piece of kit. As it is at the moment we have driven down the retail price of ScaffGap to the bare bones to be competitive, although we have no competitors, our Patent and copyright is well protective. ScaffGap is a high volume -- low cost product that will become an integral part of all scaffold platforms.

Hi John

Although you say the cost of producing a retractable would be prohibitive I think that if the product was totally reusable consumers would pay and you could command a higher price.

Let me run this by you John, if a section of scaffgap say 2.5m in length was cut out half way down so that it fitted round a standard, you end up with a section of scaffgap half and half across 2 bays. Now if the next section is so profiled that it laps over the previous section and say 'snaps over' to keep it in place. Continue down the run of scaffold 'snapping' each new section in place. All that would be needed is a special starter section and an end section (which would in effect be the product cut in half).

This would have the advantage of being totally reusable fitting bays from 1.25m to 2.5m.

What do you think?

Scaffold Contractors beware!!

Scaffgap is now being specified by Principle Contractors and Health and Safety Consultants. Once a job has been priced it is proving detrimental to the scaffold contractor to install scaffgap at a later stage because once a Health and Safety rep has specified it the principle contractor will say that the cost is down to the scaffold contractor. It is a hard one; the principle contractor will claim the platform has not been built in accordance with the Work at Height Regulations 2005, TG20:08 and BS EN 12811-1 by way of doing nothing about the inherent platform gaps.

It is better for a scaffold contractor to specify this at the pricing stage and put the onus on the principle contractor to decide whether to use scaffgap or not, that way when the risk of falling objects/material or debris is highlighted the scaffold contractor will not be left with the cost of purchase.

There has been a few cases of strips of timber being used to combat inherent gaps. ok, they have eliminated one hazard but created another....that of board failure. Driving nails or screws into a scaffold board will make it more susceptible to splitting or cracking. The recent high number of board failures and the recent NASC Safety Alert on boards stands testament to this.

Price for the gaps and do not get caught out later!!!!!!

Intersting Product

Hi John

Just had a look at ScaffGap.

Interesting solution to the problem. :idea:

I have downloaded your brochure and bear in mind when I am doing my designs if it can be utilised.

All the best and hope it is successful.

ChrisEng :)

Thanks ChrisENG. ScaffGap is now being specified throughout Industry. Gaps in platforms are no longer acceptable in this 'Claim Aware' Culture, every pocket has to be covered. I have met companies who have not priced Scaffgap within their package only to be told at a later stage they have not erected the scaffold in compliance with regulation, by leaving the 50mm gap open, and then having to cover it ....eating in to the tight margin they originally priced at..............Dont get caught out!!!!

john Houlihan
Director ScaffGap Ltd
07930 606665

---------- Post added at 10:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:54 PM ----------

thanks Collo, Yes ScaffGap is totally re-usable. Having a male and female jig-saw puzzle like feature was something we anticipated but again the manufacture process would inhibit this and extra expense would be added, thus pushing the end-user price up....which we are totally against. We aim at a good product at an attractively competitive price, comparable to the price or cheaper than a board.

John Houlihan
Director ScaffGap Ltd
07930 606665

Hello

Great to have made contact with you. I hope all the boys are keeping well. Tooley St. job was a while ago now but I remember it well, a good team of men. If I'm correct; that was 10 - 11 years ago now. Please give all the guys my best regards.

John Houlihan CMIOSH

Top Bottom