Scaff steps

100% agree we use the two rung ones that attach to the handrail and the standard, i would much prefer to use the platform with the ladders that go fully to the platform you can use them on corners and where ledger bracing is and seem to be that tiny bit quicker!

The ones with no steps at all SHOULD be made illegal as its not practical or safe in my opinion!

yea mate agree,why these are on site i do not know we had one on our job and it was fcking useless to say the least its useing kit like that,that you can see lads points about strain on the body.

Strain on the body and strain on the wage packet with the amount of extra time it takes.

The ones without the steps are just not practicle and if your a shorty like me i would have to chin ups to get onto it!!!

Don't fancy carrying anything in the motor, and you must have picked the worst one in a bmw. The steps go in the back of the Kangoo along with the drill, pull tester, board retainers, cable ties, sign board, hand tools, ppe and cheese butties. Sometimes there is even room for the boy's.:rolleyes:

Golf clubs,and trolley;)

Aye, a right cheeky bunch on the forum tonight. That is why I knew the step wouldn't fit in the back of a bm, because you can't get a descent bag and a trolley in there as all bm's have crap boot space, another good reason for the warrior is 4 sets of clubs, trolley's and still room for 4 steps as well. Therefore I don't need to prioritise as h&s means almost as much to me as the golf.:cool:

And as for the gag about the pipes, well.......it fell way short to what I have become accustomed.:toung:

Aye, a right cheeky bunch on the forum tonight. That is why I knew the step wouldn't fit in the back of a bm, because you can't get a descent bag and a trolley in there as all bm's have crap boot space, another good reason for the warrior is 4 sets of clubs, trolley's and still room for 4 steps as well. Therefore I don't need to prioritise as h&s means almost as much to me as the golf.:cool:

And as for the gag about the pipes, well.......it fell way short to what I have become accustomed.:toung:

Sorry aom, im knackered hard day at work! and now ive gotta get my head into the books for my IOSH managing safely exam on Monday!:sick:

No worries matey, your hard on yourself with the exams eh. Oh well onward and upward. Good Luck come Monday.

thanks buddy! gotta work tomorrow morning aswell my weekend off and two of the gangs who said they would work have let him down so, bang goes my Saturday!

Right Guys, heres a one for you. We now seem to realise that these Tea trays are here to stay, as part of complying to the new SG4:10 that has been introduced following the NASC Appendix A guidance sheet.

We Know the 'Scaff step' is the most cost effective measure of complying, to SG4:10, however, as many a combination of posts and threads have identified, what will be the long term effects on the individual user? and also their validity of being a safe means of access, to attach a 'Advanced Guardrail/Handrail'.

My question being: Who of us, when basing out, actually uses the 'Scaff step' to instal their 1st lift handrails.:suspicious: I for one do not:embarrest:

There is a definition of Work at Height -

•Work in any place from which a person could fall a distance liable to cause personal injury
•Includes access and egress
•Includes work below ground level
•Does not include ’slip or trip’ on the level.

When above a couple of lifts, in my opinion, you are using your 'Step' within the confines of a 'Fully boarded,Guardrailed and Toe boarded scaffold'.

One of the reasons for a Toeboard is to prevent loose materials, being accidently, dislodged from a Scaffold. When using the Step, you are, well i do, place 2 doubles on your 'Tea tray', and maybe even a 'Sleeve', clamber up, to affix them. However, due to the size of the platform, plus the need for albeit,2 fittings,sleeve and your foot space, there is a high risk of materials falling from that platform, to the ground below. There is no edge protection round the rim of the 'scaff-step'.

If the guys that do the job, had a chance for some 'Input' to Scaffolding, Regs,ACOPS and guidelines, would we still be facing a 'Blinkered approach' to WAHR 2005 and the Intro of Appendix A and therefore SG4:10 ?

Hopefully, now that 'Simian Risk Management,HSE,NASC,CISRS and the Unions are aware of the 'Forum' and most of all the SCCR, we with the members backing of SCCR will be able to try and gain some 'Consultation rights' for the guys on the 'Coalface'. However, we need you as a member to represent you.

Regards
Paddy Carr
SCCR H&S development officer

Hopefully, now that 'Simian Risk Management,HSE,NASC,CISRS and the Unions are aware of the 'Forum' and most of all the SCCR, we with the members backing of SCCR will be able to try and gain some 'Consultation rights' for the guys on the 'Coalface'. However, we need you as a member to represent you.

Regards
Paddy Carr
SCCR H&S development officer

Paddy, i use them all the time now and have started to put the double around the standard on the lift before i get up but leave it only nipped with the fingers, clip on, ascend the platform like the god i am, staff mark at 43" slide the double up, quick nip insert handrail and nip the other side.

to strip, undo the double front, drop out the tube on to the trannies, undo the back of double and slide it down to the lift, then climb down and take off the fitting. this way you have dont have to hold anything or 'bomb' down to the lift with the fitting.

as for joints pretty much just put it on the tube being lifted or taken out then remove from teh fully boarded lift.

took a bit to work out and my trainee still forgets and cant get his head around it!

anyother ideas fellas?

Paddy, i use them all the time now and have started to put the double around the standard on the lift before i get up but leave it only nipped with the fingers, clip on, ascend the platform like the god i am, staff mark at 43" slide the double up, quick nip insert handrail and nip the other side.

to strip, undo the double front, drop out the tube on to the trannies, undo the back of double and slide it down to the lift, then climb down and take off the fitting. this way you have dont have to hold anything or 'bomb' down to the lift with the fitting.

as for joints pretty much just put it on the tube being lifted or taken out then remove from teh fully boarded lift.

took a bit to work out and my trainee still forgets and cant get his head around it!

anyother ideas fellas?

Yeah mate good one, however, my point being, it takes a scaffolder to identify the 'Pros and Cons' of any new technology,change of working practice etc. that is why we need the SCCR to represent the 'Scaffolders' recommendations, to the powers that be, and get a foothold regarding a 'Consultation paper' sent to the SCCR regarding any new practices wishing to be ratified.

100% behind you mate!

That was the point i made to our manager. If Nasc come to audit or the HSE or even Simian they want to see a live gang using them, like you said you cant leave them stacked on the platform and you cant throw them to the lift and you cant keep hold of them due to the points of contact needed to climb down. I have found that my way works for me, i want my manager to come on and show me how to use them but i bet you he wont!

I had to figure out how it worked, my trainee whos been doing it for eight years does not have a clue how it works unless i instruct him where to go and what to do even though we have been using them for about three months!

It needs a best practice for using steps doc!

---------- Post added at 03:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:53 PM ----------

Id be interested in how Redviking does it as hes used to them?!

Last edited:
Is the scaff step really the most cost effective method of compliance in the long run. True, it is very much cheaper than the £1100 or so quoted on here for B safe advanced guardrail, but if the step slows down erection times with no increase in price but increased costs for its use, it does not appear to be cost effective. As the video on the B safe product shows it hardly slows down erection times, so over the long run it seems a better investment. A. Faster erection. B. removing the need for repetetive climbing up and down from the step. C. Easier to transport and store.

agree, but as a small firm we couldnt afford to spend £7700 for the gangs we have, and on top of that because of having to swap jobs on the site i am on i would be putting the adavanced guardrail up to take it off cos the agent wants another block finishing off. we would have to have loads cos of the contracts we have and the amount of jobs half finished for maybe a week or so cos man power just cant finish on time.

so as apose to the step at £100 quid which works out at £1400 and you can move from job to job relatively easy there will only be one winner for a firm like ours.

over time the company can absorb the cost of less production than splashing out x amount of thousands, its the trickle effect, you dont see that ten quid your boss takes every week for a year but you would miss it if he took £520 quid next week.

Yes £7700 is a lot to pay out in one go, If it were demonstrated to me that it was 35%-40% quicker than the step as claimed, I would go for 1 set, and when I judged it had paid for itself say rwice over and was durable I would go for another or maybe 2 depending on the demand at the time. Like everything you invest in it has to give you a return, thats the basis on which I judge cost effect.

Top Bottom