Principles of a Shore

Yeeeeeeee-har!

Ah I'm sorry I'm only joking, I'll wait til I see your handy work :)

Fcuk, maybe better not post them after all.:worried:

Is the Basic Principles of a shore to keep the main supporting tubes as straight as possible with bracing,send the load through and where possible anchor them to something solid as surely some of the forces involved would be huge and too much for swl of any fittings,checked or otherwise?

Great pics southernpoofter,got me thinking!

Sorry fella, been out of the country for a while and slow to respond.
The thing to remember when considering load transference of any kind is that load always wants to travel in a straight line.
Dead shores designed to carry a vertical load from above directly to the ground below, always vertical
Flying shores designed to prop walls apart of hold them together, always horizontal (plus camber) The camber (upward bow in the chords) is designed to disappear once the shore is settled into place. Look at a unit beam across a span and you will note even prior to loading the beams will sag. If you apply the same logic to a flying shore then you will see the shore also sags. The issue with that is this sag tends to pull the walls together.
Raking shores designed to transfer horizontal forces from a wall through an angle to say the ground.

Thanks alan,so what is the rule of thumb for camber,is there say 1" for every 20 ft,so with camber applied as the shore settles that would press the edges further into the support,without camber applied sag would pull the job off the wall

Thanks alan,so what is the rule of thumb for camber,is there say 1" for every 20 ft,so with camber applied as the shore settles that would press the edges further into the support,without camber applied sag would pull the job off the wall

I have to be honest and say it is a number of years since I needed to do a flyer but I always worked on 1% of the span for the camber.

ive enjoyed this thread , a long time ago a gaffer showed us how to build , i believe he called it , a three chord raking shore , i think , it was the craziest thing id ever seen , at the time id have found a birdcage complicated , i did understand that it was to support a structure but when i think about it now it would probably need an independent on either side just to build it safely or so you could say it was built safely.

i dont mind being laughed at , what is camber ?

ive enjoyed this thread , a long time ago a gaffer showed us how to build , i believe he called it , a three chord raking shore , i think , it was the craziest thing id ever seen , at the time id have found a birdcage complicated , i did understand that it was to support a structure but when i think about it now it would probably need an independent on either side just to build it safely or so you could say it was built safely.

Camber is the rise from side to middle, on both sides.
I.e a road has a camber on so the rain water washes into the gutter.

Hope this explains for you.
Or unless anyone else can give an explantion??

Camber is to all intents and purposes the opposite of sag. You erect the chords with an upward bend to counteract the sag thus the scaffold will come out somewhere near flat.

It sounded better in my head!!

Camber may refer to a variety of curvatures and angles:
Camber beam, an upward curvature of a joist to compensate for load deflection due in buildings.

i love wikipedia

Is anyone who puts a camber into a flying shore without a design a camber gambler? Discuss.

Last edited:
And the camber is 1inch for every 20 foot linear fir a flying shore ,
See I was listing on the advanced course ;)

This is a really old thread lol....how come the revival?

Was that the 17th Century dock by the side of the Reuters building Al? - Bovis Management Ltd. would have been the managing contractor. Never saw it so well from above but remember doing the valuations. The old Poplar Power station was next door and they demolished the chimneys by explosion. In the day the final valuation for the total scaffolding works went close to £2.5 million. Remember using Polyblocks to birdcage the floors of the new-build Reuters Bdg on the same site.

Was that the 17th Century dock by the side of the Reuters building Al? - Bovis Management Ltd. would have been the managing contractor. Never saw it so well from above but remember doing the valuations. The old Poplar Power station was next door and they demolished the chimneys by explosion. In the day the final valuation for the total scaffolding works went close to £2.5 million. Remember using Polyblocks to birdcage the floors of the new-build Reuters Bdg on the same site.

That's the one Doug, Bovis was the contractor Bruno was the branch manager in those days

Busy days for SGB Barking back then with the Canary Wharf 1st Phase, Support scaffolding for the DLR Viaducts, The Ilford Exchange shopping centre all going at the same time.

Top Bottom