Poor Quality Equipment

Welcome presco the way i see it is we would all love to have the best kit available to us but if you get a double for £1 then you aint gonna pay £2 somewhere else , if you can do twice as much work for the same money then your profits go up.But the cheap fittings dont last the nuts tend to be of a milder steel and they tear there threads real easy, making the fitting useless and probably costing us more in the long run.
Why does it cost more for an English fitting made in England then a cheap one made in India when you consider the transport costs etc Sheffield was one of the greatest steel manufactures in the world at one time .
Hi Philliosmaximus
Thanks for your comments. Your question probably has a thousand answers but - My personal opinion is that it is all stems from the way the Government has run the country for the last 30 - 40 years. If you think about it, the UK manufactures nothing now. The majority of Manufacturers sold their tools and machinery to China and India etc. but the knowledge and experience has not been passed on too.
Meanwhile we, as a nation, have been encouraged to sit back and become a service country - a nation of consumers -(e.g currently we even import 75% of the food we eat here!) So, we won't work for the same money as the chinese and indians simply because we are used to a better quality of day to day life (compared to the majority of indians and chinese people - plus the attitude of many here is "it's easier to sit on the dole and earn enough to get by on") rather than do a days real graft to earn a little bit more. Anyway, I digress slightly....
So, as a country, we no longer posess the tools to manufacture, so we no longer buy the quantities of raw materials we used too and the cost goes up (China and India now get the best rates) add this to the fact that we as a nation won't work for less money or the same money as other countries and the fact that the manufacturing experience and quality control standards are not adhered to (or even considered) to a large extent in China/India.
The result is we get sold a wolf in sheeps clothing i.e. economy engineered products which look good but have hidden weaknesses or products which look exactly as we expect them to, except a different grade of raw materials has possibly been used.
Gone are the days where we ruled the waves :(, unless we find a way to produce something to offer to the rest of the world - I wonder where we will continue to source the money to buy (import) the things we need? Especially as the cost of Oil - and therefore everything else is increasing almost daily.
Anyway.... on a lighter note :) you will hopefully be pleased to hear - Presco still has it's presses and tooling and whenever we can get within 1p of China's prices - we will and do manufacture in Walsall.
I have now stepped down from my soap box ..apologies for the essay!
:)

Hi Scaffy

Minimum order on custom marked fittings from us is 20 000 fittings.
We also offer a powder coating type finish in your company colours if you are interested? This adds about £0.20p to the cost of your fitting (if you have for example: both covers and the body done on doubles) but you can choose which bits you would like doing and the cost can come down if just the covers were treated.
Lyndons in Birmingham had theirs done about 2 years ago - it still looks very proffessional.
Also - because of the way it is done, the coating will not easily chip off AND if it does chip - it chips at the point of heavy impact and does not then flake off around the impact spot (as paint would do) - so long lasting finish.

Hope this helps?

by british trousers cus thev got deep pockets ull need em at that money

mills doubles

are presco going to manufacture mills doubles and replacement bolts?

Welcome Presco, use your doubles and find them ok. My favourite was the Mills 90, not easy to get now. In relation to Presco going to manufacture the B+P, will you also be supplying the chair as seperate, near impossible to get nowadays.

Hi brandy - I am currently looking into the Chair piece - we don't supply it at present. So far there hasn't been too much demand.

presco - have you any pics and prices you can email me of the coloured fittings , have seen this in the past but not good quality , will hasten to add they was a munish forge product lidhuania

Presco

Firstly, welcome to the Site, I shall be contacting you for Technical Data soon.

Perhaps the importance of the chair has been lost in time ?, however, as we know the chair is an integral part of the fitting, this provision increases the slip load and protects against damage to the tube i.e. dimpling. If the B&P is to be utilized to its optimum thus increasing Sales, Marketing of the Full potential of the B&P and all its attributes and component parts could be included in the Promo Martial.

10 out of 10 for re-booting the Manufacture of the B&P are you considering any other Coupler ???.

Garry...

what you looking at garry the original SK or the underdeck 2000 ?????

Hello Scaftec

We do the mills double and replacement bolts - however these would be made to order and would have a lead time of 8-10 weeks. Hope this helps.

---------- Post added at 12:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:48 AM ----------

Hi Garry
Thanks for the welcome :)
Fair point regarding the chair protecting the tube - however, So far the enquiries I have received have been regarding use for tying the scaffold into the building and not so much for use as a double - in these instances we would reccommend using a pressed or forged double coupler (Presco obviously) as the ultimate load and slip load on ours easily conforms to EN74 (infact it exceeds it), while the Band and plate is virtually bomb proof on load, it is non EN74 compliant on slip.
I am by no means an expert on how the band and plate is utilised so would welcome any comments regarding uses etc. If there is a demand for the chair - we will supply.
What tech data do you require? I will see what I can do to help.

---------- Post added at 12:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:01 PM ----------

Hi Scaffy - apologies for the delay - for some reason I am unable to upload a pic to the site - it is too large apparently :weird: although it is only 519 kb Do you have an email address I can send it to?

no others at present Garry - but we are always open to suggestions? and we will always consider anything so long as there is a large enough demand or the price is right :)

Pics

pics uploaded for you presco , red viking might know this double !!!!!

Attachments

• Lyndon PC Fitting 1.jpg
    Lyndon PC Fitting 1.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 26
  • Lyndon PC fitting 2.jpg
    Lyndon PC fitting 2.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 24
pics uploaded for you presco , red viking might know this double !!!!!

i am not knocking the workmanship, but the bolts in these doubles are not very good, they need to be well serviced, even if they are slightly dry they are a pain in the arse, (the galv is very rough/dry)
however the paint job is spot on.

bring back the speed thread all will be forgiven:D

I think the B+P is the most versatile fit for purpose fitting ever, however it was introduced in a time when the wall of the tube was thicker than the tube now, just wondering with the newer tube, might it be neccesary to incorporate the chair to achieve its maxium.

brandy

Snap ;) my point re the use of the chair + the chair allows for doubling up on the slip Test load---i.e. Load Bearing Structures and Physical Ties.

Gar...

---------- Post added at 09:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 PM ----------

Scaffy

Na not underdeck 2000 :sick:---however, Stevie Knights ;) and Millz's Doubles and PC and for that matter the Friction Clamps---

Gar...

Top Bottom