Nasc

Yes I've heard this rumour that 21s will soon have to be carried by 2 people.

They enforce it already.
On Railway or London Underground jobs, especially Network Rail you are supposed to carry 2 people to a 21ft.
I believe (depending on how much of a safety nut whos telling you to do it is) its supposed to be 2 people to a tube thats longer then 13ft.

Some jobs i can understand why, as we all dont half work with some numpties who will forget that theres god knows how many thousands of volts in those overhead power cables 6m above their heads.
But on anything other then a Railway/Tube or Pylon job, i do think that its a bit OTT.

How about scaffs carrying 5x5's..5x6's or 3x8's or pulling same up on jenny, generally pulling or carrying in odd numbers...guidelines where? also carrying fittings,max numbers next.

Carrying 5x5, 5x6 or 3x8 foot tubes seems normal practise enough, but fukk pulling those numbers up on a rope all day, lol.

Just asking for either a pair of knackered arms or worse still, a dead body if that group of tubes slip out the rope and land on your head...

Point is Jason,that combination is heavier than a 21, only ever seen it once,5x6's coming down, I thought the labourer tied em wrong. Had a motorised jenny,and didnt control the swing of tubes,one caught a tranny on the way up,lucky it was early.

Yes, but you can moderate the weigh of 10ft's and 5ft's or what ever by carrying less.

You dont have to carry 5x5ft tubes, do you.
You cant make a 21ft tube lighter, unless you cut a few feet off it, making it not 21ft anymore.

I think the reason why they make you carry 2 people to a 21ft is that some bright-spark suggested in an NASC paper a few years ago, is that with 1 person carrying a 21ft tube you have a 'pivot' effect and the ends of the tube could hit a power line, or whack someone in the head and so on.

2 people to a 21ft stops that from happening.

As well as that, hemping with 21fts SHOULD be banned, as after that tube is above waist height it becomes much harder to safety handle it.
Not everyone is superman and not everyone is capable of hemping a 21ft tube at head height, but with all the bravado in Scaffolding still, some people - especially the younger guys feel pressured into pushing themselves when they aint ready/able or experienced enough to do so.

After 20 odd years at the game, I've never been able/ready or experienced enough to hemp a Paddy at head height.:cool:

Think it's more an Irish ting Phil. Paddy McGinty = twenty, I'm told because they were 20' long at the time.

Never heard that one Phil, all I see when there is a few to shift is another session with the back cracker.:push:

Yes, but you can moderate the weigh of 10ft's and 5ft's or what ever by carrying less.

You dont have to carry 5x5ft tubes, do you.
You cant make a 21ft tube lighter, unless you cut a few feet off it, making it not 21ft anymore.

I think the reason why they make you carry 2 people to a 21ft is that some bright-spark suggested in an NASC paper a few years ago, is that with 1 person carrying a 21ft tube you have a 'pivot' effect and the ends of the tube could hit a power line, or whack someone in the head and so on.

2 people to a 21ft stops that from happening.

As well as that, hemping with 21fts SHOULD be banned, as after that tube is above waist height it becomes much harder to safety handle it.
Not everyone is superman and not everyone is capable of hemping a 21ft tube at head height, but with all the bravado in Scaffolding still, some people - especially the younger guys feel pressured into pushing themselves when they aint ready/able or experienced enough to do so.

Wont push the point on this one mate,specially as you have the backing of 2heavyweights of the forum. Theres not too many who would hemp a 21 at head height. So its not a question of weight alone,its also the length.:wondering: In years to come,the young scaffs of today will be bragging to the youngsters,"when I was your age,we use to hemp 15s at head height,and carry 3x5's at the same time":cheesy:lol

More then likely mate, lol.
By the time the youngsters of today are old hands, they probably wont even use spanners anymore - but all use impact guns and self leveling tube, lol. :toung:

still hemp long just like the majority of the lads on here though very very rarely see any head height toppers being done stupidity if you ask me,youll never stop long being hemped in the street unless they stop making long uns.

Head height toppers = working the job out incorrectly most of the time...

I was thinking same thing Deb.
Joints are supposed to be as close to the node as possible so we really shouldn't have to hemp tube at head height

Shouldn't have to do a lot of things but it doesn't seem to stop them happening. The man that never made a mistake never made anything.:cool:

Top Bottom