Makita

I had a Makita about 5 yrs ago the type with the socket retaining pin, it was a right pain because the pins kept breaking and the socket kept falling off.

ma akita has a break when you let go off trigger it stops.you allso need 2 get a makita socket it comes with a pin that stops it falling of

---------- Post added at 10:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 AM ----------

aom what holder do you have ive just got a metal one that it hangs on its the best one ive tried

Just a cheap material one, does the job.

I had a Makita about 5 yrs ago the type with the socket retaining pin, it was a right pain because the pins kept breaking and the socket kept falling off.

It is a bit of a pain, carry a few spares with me now so problem sorted. The hilti is worse, it's better at retaining the socket but fiddly as feck trying to get the damn thing swapped over to a smaller one for the ties.

if you buy a makita socket it comes with a rubber cur clip and a pin it goes through the square bit on the end of the drill they are less than a tenner had mine about 8 months and still going.if you socket has hole in it for a pin get a small screw or nail and hold in with gaffers tape will do the job

you can buy the pin & rubber band @ any suplier costs around £2.50, also get urself a spare set of brushes, around £5 for the lot, its the only thing that you'll have trouble with,but only take a few mins to change.....we use the maks all the time, you'll not look back mate - leavethe dinos behind &welcome the the IW club

We're now running 8 maks & have never had a pin or band go....however like anything with an electric motor the brushes get wornout...just like ur washing machine. And the harder you work it, the quicker they need replacing.really not an issue though. You always know when they are going as the trigger sometimes doesnt work or it wiill stop as soon as any pressure is applied to it

I'm buying the makita on Monday, there £320 on eBay but get the lxt model as its the shorter back. What's all this pin malark tho?? Will a normal half inch socket not fit?

is that with 2 batts and charger,if you get a makita socket it comes with pins and rubber band.you will need a bigg lugg drll holder its the best onley cheap ive tryed a few

---------- Post added at 05:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:32 PM ----------

21m makita impact socket i think part no is134839-0 you need the right 1 if the box is not long enough the bolt will get in the way

Yeah 2 3ah batteries, charger, box and drill... the drill on its own is £130 and you can get batteries on eBay new for £40 each. Works out cheaper buying it all seperate but I want it all at the same time.... a spare drill would be useful tho for when ones being repared

Theres seems to be 2 variations with this same model number.with 1 type theres a small hole on the square chuck that lines up with a hole through the socket-being held on with a pi &band keepjng it in place On the other,the socket is attached as normal with a 1/2 bearing slotting into the keep on the socket-we have had this model whichlost its bearing and so the socket kept falling off,all i did was drilled a hole straight through from where the bearing was missing and then used the pin and retaining band-u gotta remember this isnt a drill its an impact wrench which sustains alot more vibration and things do get broken or damaged but u wont have too much trouble-rather than getting as a set for over £300 try as seperates on ebay.main unit for as little as 65-100 ,batterys around 45 & charger 40

MAKITA 18V LXT BTW251Z BTW251RFE IMPACT WRENCH KIT 2 BL1830 BATTERY DC18RA CASE | eBay

---------- Post added at 07:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:46 PM ----------

MAKITA 18V LXT BTW251 BTW251Z BTW251RFE IMPACT WRENCH DRILL NEW | eBay

---------- Post added at 07:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:47 PM ----------

MAKITA 18V LXT BTW251 BTW251Z BTW251RFE IMPACT WRENCH REPLACEMENT CARRY CASE | eBay

---------- Post added at 07:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:49 PM ----------

Battery for Makita BTW251RFE BTW450RFE BVR450RFE BDF451RFE BHP451RFE | eBay

---------- Post added at 07:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:50 PM ----------

Brand New makita LXT lithium Li-ion 7.2v-18.v battery charger 240v DC18SD | eBay

My only concern with it is there are loads of battery's on eBay that are faulty.... not a great sign

---------- Post added at 08:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:10 PM ----------

My labourer has just got the hilti 14.4. Great bit of kit but was spinning bolts off all day... hopefully the break on the makita will reduce that for me but the shame in my donkey being faster on the spanner than me is not going down too well...

---------- Post added at 08:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:14 PM ----------

Makita package is £315 all in. Buying the makita seperate is £294. And my mates paying £320 for the hilti through work without vat @£50 pa....

---------- Post added at 08:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:17 PM ----------

£50 per week out his wage.

My bro uses makita power tools and has done for years. When I buy a IW and im sure I will, I think I will go for a makita.

i've got one guy that uses a hilti on hire purchase - one thing to think of which in his case happened.....you not working you still gota pay for it, where as with the mak bought up front, you not working u got an assest to sell, and they hold there price....

as for the battery problem - its likely that with the number of differnt battery power tools that interchange on the makita market, u'll bound to get duffs also not everyone uses a smart charger, dont forget the mak as been out longer and therefore got a bigger sales in the market. also if it a genuine makita battery they got a 6month warrenty

as for cost - if ur self employed. they're an assest on ur accounts so let the taxman take the strain not ur wrist

Last edited:
Well my drill came today. My mates hilti 14.4 has a button on the battery to check how much power is left the makita doesn't. Also the hilti has a 3 setting torque button on the lower handle but the makitas set and can't be changed. I'll. Let you know how I get on with it tomorrow....

Top Bottom