Just build it or wait for the drawing?

so i guess the jetski looks like chitty chitty bang bang now then to keep it afloat.

haha, it just about manages to keep me afloat and don't you be gloating too much either as your no stranger to a Greggs.:laugh:

I'll be honest with you Flinty, I have been at this game for a couple of weeks now and have yet to meet a site manager who has the first clue about scaffolding or what it takes to put it where it's needed to do what is needed.
That does not make them bad just not scaffolding literate.
A Good Designer given half a chance will however give you a reasonable understanding of what you can and cannt achieve.

The scaffolding trade using Tube & Fitt as we know it is around 100 years old and there has always been a requirement for Design Engineers or the industry would not have advanced to the level it is now.

I think it is easy to fool oneself into thinking you can throw up most things but I am sure it is going up from stuff has has been designed at some level in days gone by.

As for time scales, you have to look at the numbers of designers now verses the volume of work. In the 70's I can remember SGB had 32 Designers working for them. There were several other big players who all had Design staff ALL of which have now let them go. There may be as few as 50 Scaffolding Engineers now to cover the whole country.
It is not the Engineers?Designers that create the volume or the delays, The volume comes from the regs and the delay folows the volume
Stay Well Flinty

I agree 100% Alan. Regularly I was given building drawings by the main contractor with just a basic scope of their works, no idea of durations etc and they expected a full tender with a fixed price to be submitted.
In Australia I went to a meeting with client and main contractor and was asked " What date will you have erected the scaffolds for the insulation rectification works?". My reply was "How much of the pipework do you need scaffolded?". Their reply "We are not sure maybe all of it but it might be less!". Next question was "What date can you have the scaffolds dismantled by?" My reply "How long are your insulation works going to take?". Their reply " We dont know!!".
So do they know what they want? I dont think so!!
And I have been in the game a couple of weeks less than you!!
Regards.

I'll be totally honest here, it's over 4 yrs since I went in a greggs. There's nothing in there pasties never been in since.
Grow your own food is the key AOM.
Get watching beechgrove you'll soon pick the wee hobby up.

Last edited:
It's been years since I had garden veg, my old man done it for years and it was by far the best. He was from a generation who had to do it to and worse just to survive but not many doing it now. I hope you are not at the wind up and really are growing your own, next time you come up I would expect a shaw of tatties as a minimum.

---------- Post added at 07:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:26 PM ----------

And another thing, I know what the regs say but I would have been a lot better just building the fekin thing.:(

Alot know I'm a avid gardener. I'm no Alan Titchmarsh by a long run. But picking fresh strawberries direct of the plant or peas direct from the plant in the pod. There's no finer taste. I'm having a good year this year with the runner beans. Spraying them with sugared water was a great tip by an old man near me. The bees went nuts. Without Bees mankind is fooked.
You knew the correct answer before posting this thread so a big pat on the back from me mate.
It's all about arse covering and you've just done that well done.

I have steve but it was a mistake, I would have built a better job with no drawing and could have used the calculations from another job to prove this one, oh well live and learn.

As Scotland's No 1 NASC member you have set the standards in how your company operates.
6.30 open the yard gates
7.00 wagons loaded
8.00 be on the job
9.00 Teeing off.
12.00 on the 12 hole phone the lads to see how there going.
14.00 finish your round and drive back.
16.30 give the lads a proper bollocking for getting back at 16.25.
17.00 1st Stella in the hand.
19.00 get on the forum for some proper boys talk.
You've got an hard life AOM.

haha, the way it should be but...............................

6.30, fall out of bed

7.30, open yard gates

8.00, on the job with drawing

8.O1, decide drawing is sh1t but do our best to follow anyway

10.00, imminent feeling of impending doom when it finally dawns drawing is a bag of knitting but still plough through as we will make the best of it.

1.00, leave the young team to fire in an 8 foot lift and go kick off the back.

3.00, fall out with client as we were not supposed to be on the roof without letting him harp the roof first in case any leaks appear due to broken tiles despite the fact we were only forming the beams and the lift we were on was going to be dismantled when complete, fud.

4.00, wrestle with big fook off tree to get a standard in and slice my neck on the branches.

5.05, Take call from another client who fooked me about something rotten for the past 2 weeks trying to get a job down and cost us 3 and a half days down time this week due to sheer amount of fuds working as site managers htreatening me with if I wasn't going to his job tomorrow he would get his own men to take it down.

5.06, jump of the fekin scaffold, drive to his yard and inform him I would not be bullied by anyone and if anyone touched my gear I would in all honesty remove their hands from their wrist.

5.45, drive home in to the arms of my loving wife, not a bad life right enough.

AOM i found this photo of a generic drawing job for scaffolding across roofs , if you follow this you wont go far wrong ;)

2d77m92.jpg

The 2 ledgers on the apex roof should be running back onto 4 uprights on the independent, each ledger caught twice and then they should be picked up from the independent the opposite way, and the overhang on the transoms is only adding more weight to the job, the punchins should be either side of the apex acting as a tie...blah.blah,blah..and if im not mistaken the two ledgers running on the independent are caught with singles, no designer in his right mind would pass that as a complex scaffold

You do know he was being sarcastic Johnny.

Build the fecking scaffold and bill for adjustments.
If its built for pip[ework and welders and has to be adjusted then bill accordingly

I wish, pretty basic to be honest with each gable spanned hence the drawing. We have been contracted for a finished product there will be no alterations to this one. As I said, wish I did just build it, would have been a better stronger job all round.

Top Bottom