Independent in the swimming pool

He's got his feudal serfs labouring under the hot Pacific sun, breaking up the limestone into driveway appropriate gravel as we speak.

Many moons ago if you drained a pool you used to need to erect a propping shore between the walls due to the concerns of ground pressure popping the walls.
Might of been tempted to put the brace couplers and braces on the bottom of the leg before dropping in the legs though :)

.....what like this lol

Attachments

• DSCF1618.jpg
    DSCF1618.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 96
why are they not wearing any PPE, (hard hat,boots,gloves&hi-vis)

no life jacket I'm afraid lol but he had the right sulks on that he had to wear everything else lol

Attachments

• 20140121_100600.jpg
    20140121_100600.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 88
  • 20140121_100615.jpg
    20140121_100615.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 89
Depends how it was designed Fred. If the engineer considered that the pool would always be full, and used the internal pressure to offset the external, then there is a chance it could crack. This isn't always the best practice but it can reduce material costs and job time due to being able to use a thinner wall, less rebar etc.

There is always uplift to consider as well.

Better to be safe than skinted by pool repairs.:laugh:

Thanks Nick. Although I doubt if an engineer would consider a pool would always be full due to cleaning, tile repair etc. Same with my rainwater collection tank if it doesn't rain the levels will decrease unless I have an alternative means of topping it up.
My design for a 6m x 6m x 3m deep inground reservoir has 3 columns (350x350) on each side. Wall thickness is 150mm with 16mm rebar internal and 12mm external. Obviously ring beams and slab.

---------- Post added at 01:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:36 AM ----------

very posh!! imported from uk?

No the whole island is limestone.

---------- Post added at 01:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:37 AM ----------

He's got his feudal serfs labouring under the hot Pacific sun, breaking up the limestone into driveway appropriate gravel as we speak.

No I hired a backhoe at about 24 quid an hour including diesel for the excavation. Took 8 hours so far more economical than paying the feudal serfs 3 quid a day to dig by hand. Would have taken them weeks!

Thanks Nick. Although I doubt if an engineer would consider a pool would always be full due to cleaning, tile repair etc. Same with my rainwater collection tank if it doesn't rain the levels will decrease unless I have an alternative means of topping it up.
My design for a 6m x 6m x 3m deep inground reservoir has 3 columns (350x350) on each side. Wall thickness is 150mm with 16mm rebar internal and 12mm external. Obviously ring beams and slab.

With regular upkeep and good filtration systems, there is little reason to need to drain a pool. Unless it's in an area of really poor ground or high/regular seismic activity, it should easily see out it's design life and beyond. In the case of poor ground, a sunken pool isn't always a good idea.

A below ground water storage system is a different animal design wise. They are designed to resist all forces both in a full and empty state (which ever is greater, usually empty); no offsets or reductions unless you can guarantee all pressures will remain constant. Good luck with that one.

I was trying to make that not too long winded.

Below ground water storage systems are pretty common over here. They are also common in Australia where they tend just to put pre fabricated concrete tanks into the ground. I will let you know how it goes and maybe get the wife to take some photos during the construction phase as I wont be here. I will post some pictures.

That'd be good to see. Obviously with external tanks, the deeper you need to go, the worse it gets. Not having to worry about things like frost or freeze/thaw effects can make life easier because you can build closer to the surface. Similar to an indoor pool.

---------- Post added at 10:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:37 AM ----------

And also: CONGRATULATIONS!!

You are my one hundredth thanker!

That'd be good to see. Obviously with external tanks, the deeper you need to go, the worse it gets. Not having to worry about things like frost or freeze/thaw effects can make life easier because you can build closer to the surface. Similar to an indoor pool.

---------- Post added at 10:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:37 AM ----------

And also: CONGRATULATIONS!!

You are my one hundredth thanker![/QUOTE]

You are welcome unless that is some new cockney rhyming slang!

It never really gets below 23 C here so no worries about frost!!

I would say yes to the rhyming slang thing but then you'd have to invoice me for the service.

Don't need that sort of expense this close to a bank holiday weekend.

first pic is different from second pic
boards
wouldnt work i guess

Top Bottom