Impact Wrench

Dass

To satisfy compliance to B S / EN and Manufacturers Recommendations I am quite surprised that some form of Torque Mechanism has not been incorporated into either a Manually Operated Spanner or a Hand Held Powered Impact Wrench. The Manufacturers of the I W recognized ( after consultation with the SCCR ) the importance of including Torque Values in the New Generation Impact Wrench as a Marketing USP...

Morning Gary
I have half a memory of something along the lines of, The design of a swing over being based upon the average scaffolders weight and the force he would apply to the handle. This creates a lever arm, force times distance etc = the require torque. I also remember the length of handle being extended and then shortened again as the bolts were too tight.
Gotta be honest it’s a bit of a blur as it would have been late 70’s when SGB were starting to move away from the podger.
I also remember having to torque fittings on a regular basis but never to see if they were too tight only loose

We have been told by bovis that we cannot use our drills to erect on their sites but are okay striking due to the torque on fittings question.at the moment my firm are arguing the matter with them as there's nothing in the method statement to say one way or the other,seems we will now have to include the use of drills and possibly torque wrenches in our method statements to allow us to use them.

Good afternoon Alan

Firstly, I have attached a Document for your perusal, on the first read through ti may appear over simplistic, however, you, being acquainted with the proper manor of deploying a coupler to a tube may agree that in the absence of any mechanically calibrated mechanism to deploy a coupler the attached Procedure will have to suffice ???...

Garry...

Attachments

• Scaffolding Procedures.doc
    22.5 KB · Views: 19
Scaffbhoy

I very prudent view by Bovis and one that shows they may have concerns with metal fatigue and fracture damage to the couplers structure and particular the pin, threads and compression of the washer...

Until such times that there is a concerted joint consultation with ALL parties concerned ( HSE, SCCR, NASC, H&S Consultants, Manufacturers and last but not the least the Scaffolders ) there will be mandate to use the Impact Wrench for Erection purposes which in my view would be very unfortunate...

Garry...

Scaffbhoy

I very prudent view by Bovis and one that shows they may have concerns with metal fatigue and fracture damage to the couplers structure and particular the pin, threads and compression of the washer...

Until such times that there is a concerted joint consultation with ALL parties concerned ( HSE, SCCR, NASC, H&S Consultants, Manufacturers and last but not the least the Scaffolders ) there will be mandate to use the Impact Wrench for Erection purposes which in my view would be very unfortunate...

Garry...

Hi Gary
I have looked at the attached document mentioned in your previous post and make you 100% accurate.
In my younger days I was always told a squeek and a half ment the fitting was tight, which is what I have read into your coments about the two half turns.

What is important is to remember to drop back and re-tighten the first gate.

just been told today our lads are not allowed to use them on bellway homes sites , any way around this?

just been told today our lads are not allowed to use them on bellway homes sites , any way around this?

This is the advent of a new but ongoing problem. If the tool you are purchasing is not job specific then the torque setting will give problems with the couplers. I have read where IW's are set to max torque they spin the nut off, if the IW is set at max torque on doing up the fitting this may be the issue with the "T Bolt" shearing. Your IW should be set to 50Nm if not it is incorrect for the job.

Using the same reasoning so is the swing over.

I could get the same result using a swing over as an IW. For an IW to get to it's full advertised torque you need to stand there for what seems like an eternity, to reduce the torque just release the trigger. I'm no engineer but there are enough dangers in our trade without inventing new one's.

Top Bottom