Impact wrench newbie

has any one with a impact wrench ever stripped a thread becouse i havent in 1 year,ive taken the odd nut of but it goes back quick

Same thing here Gary, I take it you are using the hilti?

I'd like to see someone try to strip a thread. You'd go deaf before it stripped it!

Don't say that wallbank, they are not that loud. The advertised value of my IW is 90 dba which is right on the limit but that is for maximum torque value and we are running them at around the 40% bracket. I was actually thinking about getting a meter as I think every day use is under.

I'm on a Makita which doesn't have a torque adjustment feature. The longer I press the tighter/loulder it gets... And the more the hilti boys complain I'm draining there batteries!

It's the makita I use and like and like you say the longer you pull the trigger the louder it gets which means the nano second we need to pull the trigger means we shouldn't really need ear protection. That's my theory anyway, proving it is another matter.

Careful you are not over doing it with the trigger.

Yeah I've only had it since Wednesday last week so I'm still gettingcthe feel for the trigger, found myself checking every other fitting on a beam section I was running in yesterday.... I don't trust it 100% yet

aom i use makita i havent stripped any thread dont think you could even with fully charged batt

No you probably couldn't and to be honest I have checked many times in preparation for the day some wee nyaff dares to try and take it off me. The younger spanner hands still do up the fitting tighter with the spanner.

i agree with you .but some people dont like automation ,my feeling is scaff dont like them becouse the exspence

Maybe, the scaffs are not really the problem for me it's the sheer panic they can produce for people that have never used one in anger and pass a fair bit of comment without any understanding of how they work or the benefit they produce, much like the rest of our trade.:(

These are the people I will be laughing at while I'm having an extended brew and there still playing catch-up...

Firstly. I am in to tech. 35 years in the game. Nothing wrong with power tools. But if I had a scaffold com, I would ban the lot. The head, if worn to a certain degree F***s all the nuts up to the point that a spanner wont fit, you have to use an open ender to get the the fitting on or off. Worked for a com just of late and 6 out of 12 fittings where Sh****d to the point of scrap. You would not use a spanner that was worn away so don't use a wrench that is!!!! END

Not really the end at all as your open ender is far more likely to distort a nut far quicker than my socket ever will.

This is how good the wrenches are stripped 1000ft in 3 hours this morning 2 labourers clearing try that with a spanner!!!

Hot Damn methinks wheel is ready fo reinvention and the trumpet.

And Quiz Question what was the Best thing Before Sliced Bread

Last edited:
i think some one is doing some thing wrong they dont damage fittings, you sure some builder hasent used stilsons and done the nuts in thats the what does them in

It would surprise you Gary. 50Nm is all that is required and that is minimal when you are talking torques. Get an old torque spanner and check when it breaks on fittings done by hand and I can almost guarantee you they will be at least 80Nm.

Exactly, and we have never seen a torque wrench on a swing over.

Top Bottom