Hmrc cis!!!

Im not sure pal. I've never done a tax return, i've just had them drop on my door mat. Knowing my luck i'll get one next year saying i ow them....

I do sympathise, Dandaps. HMRC can really drag their heels. Luckily the usual turnaround from HMRC for individual tax returns submitted is about 3 weeks... unless they decide to look more closely at the return - then woe betide you if you should chase them on it. We always warn people about chasing HMRC too often. Out of cussedness they will put the file back into security and let it sit there even longer :mad:.

As for PAYE tax returns - please make sure you keep your receipts for any expenditures. Also keep a diary of mileage, sites gone to, for how many days/ weeks etc.

And yes, PAYE tax refunds do happen :).

Why do HMRC think they can hold onto my money that my company was due for months literally claimed in April phoned about a month ago and they said if you have not received it by OCTOBER 22nd!! then ring us again. Yet when they want their vat its instantly, pisses me right off. CIS = TAKE THE ****:mad:.
I go through this stupid cat and mouse game every year. Surely Cis does more harm to businesses than good?

Sent you a PM Dandaps with the mob I use, though the nice people at HMRC assured me that if you do it yourself online, you'll be paid out within a few weeks. Can't be arsed myself though on top of all the other paper work you have to deal with in this game these days.

what can ya claim for dont say everything but for eg if am down working atg sutch and sutch and the actuall yard is half a mile away form the office and i live 22 miles from both can i calim for going to the yard or not?, and how the fek does cis work do thye tax you b4 paying you or do you have to keep it in the bakc to pay your own tax ?

Cis Marra is when you take on a job from a firm, say I invoice joe bloggs building firm for £2000.00 when it becomes time for them to pay me they will withhold £400.00 and give it inland revenue, at the end of the tax year I can then make a claim to get it all refunded. The problem I'm facing is some firms are on the scheme and I get statements at the end of each month some lesser well run firms say there on the scheme but I have to chase them for a statement and trust they have paid it one firm I have done a job for have never issued a statement when I did a job after chasing them for ages. then when It becomes time for inland revenue to pay me back they are taking up to 6 months, all the while I have to make up the 20% missing from my cash flow all year.
basically a stupid run around creating more hassle than needed.

Last edited:
With PAYE, you can claim back all legitimate work expenses BUT HMRC are getting tougher and tougher all the time and will need evidence of all such expenditures - receipts, of course, are your best bet. Just keep them in an envelope for when you come to do your tax return (or have a tax agent help you with it... but they'll need sight of receipts/ bank statements before submitting the tax return).

When it comes to mileage... If you use your own vehicle (or public transport) to get to different sites (not the yard), then you can claim back mileage/ travel. It's helpful to keep a log/ diary rather than trying to remember where and when.

If you need any advice, as always, give us a quick call.

PAYE is not generally as big a rebate as under CIS, but really it is all down to earnings, tax already paid and legitimate expenses. CIS pay tax (same as PAYE) but because no one is accounting for personal allowances the amount of tax paid is usually too much.

We always advise to watch your tax code too because if you did a tax return in the previous year, HMRC have a habit of adjusting your tax code to reflect that years expenses and the chances of that being the case are zilch, so you end up with a large tax bill at the end of the year :mad:.

The CIS scheme is a good idea in principal, but everyone concerned (contractors paying your tax up front and issuing tax voucher and HMRC just being on it, rather than dragging their heels).

Good stuff Rosie. We are now Facebook friends!! Still not seen any pics of you in just your hi viz yet?

Facebook?? ha.
This place, facebook, you sure your a scaff?? or one of those kids fresh out of college wanting to be one? ha, eh lad?

Ha, im not your dad, least i dont think so, your mam called elaine, like? ha, hope not.
Just saying like, only thought wee lads would be into that social networking stuff, eh?

Must be a bit of a shaker and mover, ha.

Good for you. Take it while you can lad.
Im in rather similar circumstances myself. Let the youngsters do the graft, ill makesure wages are paid.

Though nice to turn a spanner now and then, eh?

Blimey! Just re-read my own post there (thanks for bringing it to the fore again, HSWT) and was pretty impressed with my own musings :D.

Hmmm, I can assure you, not many can behold the wonder that is me in just a hi vis. I have to be very careful who I unleash that spectacle on!

Sc@ffolder: yeah daddio, get hip with the times, yo yo! FB is the place to be... Well... sometimes!! :) (Nice being friends, huh, HSWT:love:)

Top Bottom