Guardrails

Example
The scaffolds temporary platform must consist of a minimum of four boards placed centrally and include inside board. The method considered the erect a floor level consists of the following procedure.
Base lift constructed and boarded with a guardrail system in place. The advanced floor level lift is could be constructed in the following manner.
Working from the boarded lift with the 950mm and 470mm guardrail in place, the third guard is secured at a level approximately 1m above the 950mm guardrail creating advanced guardrail above the temporary lift.
The temporary lift created by positioning transom tubes to support the boarded lift across from the 950mm guardrail forming a three board wide platform.
The advancing floor level lift is erected and completed. Using the hop up step and working from the temporary platform the advanced guardrail is installed as previously stated. The scaffolder working from one end he raising the temporary boarding using the tunnelling method. On completion dismantle the temporary tubular frame. Using the ladder you can now gain access to the advance platform knowing you have now created a scaffolder’s temporary platform which can be repeated progressively.
The hoist tower is one of those standard scaffolds which presents a risk of falls from outwards and falls inwards.
The planning stage the employer must consider both risks. The risk of fall inward can be reduced by close boarding by single layer of boards with appropriate board supports.
The risk of fall outward can be managed by the advance guardrail using appropriate advanced guardrail system.
If Personal Fall Protective Equipment used a fall recovery system or plan required.
The Working at Height Regs 2005 and SG4:10 require the employer to consider collective fall protection over personal.

Hope this helps

I believe there was 8 scaffolder’s died last year

Could you please leave a link to your 'Stats', and have you ever come across any 'Stats' for 'Fall arrests, while wearing Harness and Lanyard' your help would be greatly appreciated, also if you have, (In for a penny, in for a pound). Any statiscal information regarding 'Suspension Trauma,' or STF,s from a step up platform.

Paddy

SG4:10 presentation :-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-TuCg-kelA have a look.

---------- Post added at 07:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:45 PM ----------

SG4:10 presentation :- .[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-TuCg-kelA]YouTube - NASC Scaffolding Guidance SG4:10 - Preventing Falls in Scaffolding[/ame]

PAVCA????:confused::confused:

---------- Post added at 08:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:34 PM ----------

The Forum now seems to have a 'Heads up' even on the NASC members, Nice to share, to share nice, why should important (So they say) information just be directed to NASC members, if it is a H&S awareness note, shouldnt this be plastered from ******** to breakfast time, free at the point of source, to the guys on the street ?

I believe there was 8 scaffolder’s died last year

Ive just been made to sit through a SGB video which boasted that, up to when the video was made, there has been no deaths of people using SG4. This being the old version with no need for advance guardrail, allowing traversing (think thats what its called) for installing a guardrail at the normal height.

If this is the case, does SG4 really need changing if its such a success and shouldnt more effort be made to get more firms and scaffs following the guidelines already in place?

if the sg is the guidance for scaffold/acop/best practise surely this should be relayed to the scaffold firms who in turn can train their lads, meaning possibly less prosecutions from the HSE and better safety on sites?

if things change how and why do we need to wait so long for the guidance?

i think my crystal ball wasnt working proper me lud! springs to mind!

Flinty, exacttly mate, 'Why try to fix something that is not broke' the only reason the smelly stuff has hit the fan again, is because the HSE must of realised that during the conception of WAHR 2005, when they sat back with there fellow authors,and finished patting each other on the back, there was a loophole in their proposed Regs, which in fact IN MY OPINION, could have Legal practicalities regarding 'the compensation culture' regarding a fall by a Scaffolder, not being protected by a 'Employers Duty of care'.

Its to do with traversing I believe, where we technically break the WAHR to install our guardrail. Sorry for being a bit cynical, but I dont for a second believe this is for our protection, its just to cover up this technicality

I'm told the hse were never completely happy with earlier versions and only accepted it if it was revised every 5 years to take advantage of technological advances such as Bsafe.

Brandy,
This canal job I'm talking about has claimed life whether there was water in it or not, so any fool will tell you there is a risk there. The same day I was boarding a foot tie round a bungalow for lazy brickies around 300mm from the ground installing a double guard rail and toe boards looking over at a dirty great big 30ft hole in the ground with no protection what so ever.:eek:

About 5 years ago a child fell into a heading that was being dug in the road here and died , all they had around the hole was that plastic stuff we used to use as brick guards years ago.
and you still see it when holes are being dug in roads sometimes they keep the shoring above ground level but not always

Top Bottom