Friday Photos

Are you having a laugh mate , i been scaffolding on the streets of London for over 32 years brother ,

yes i employ a designer would you like their number because it looks like you need it ,

the fact you have to ask what Kentledge is just speaks for itself mate.

if the customer dont want to pay for a safe job then loose the job its that simple ,

what are you gonna tell a judge if god forbid something goes wrong and you have a collapse ,

sorry your honer i was trying to save the customer a few pound

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 09:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 PM ----------

Phil said it all Jon. You need to cover yourself. That customer your trying to save a few pound will blame you when things go wrong

all he will say is ,
nothing to do with us the scaffolders done the job its their responsibility,
i understand your trying to win work brother , but sometimes you gotta walk away or make the customer do pay to do it right ,
we all have small customers we throw a house front up for ,
but temporary roofs need to be done right ,
we do anywhere between 20-30 a year and whilst i can do them in my sleep we always put the price of a design in our tender ,
if anything goes wrong the first thing the HSE will look for is paper work,
i assume you are doing RAMS for these projects ?
and weekly inspections ?
and hand over certs ?
because its what the HSE will look for in the event of an accident

---------- Post added at 09:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 PM ----------

Please don't make me out as a northern thicko please Phil
Saying I don't know what kentledge is speaks for ifs self is derogatory to say the least. Since I started in 82 have never heard the word.
Even when worked for Westminster scaffolding in the 80s.
Anyway been on my own since 93 & never had a mishap (touch wood) .hope you haven't either.
Again, regards

i aint trying to say anything brother ,
Kentledge is just weight placed at the bottom of a scaffold to act as a tie,
iam sure you have used it without knowing what its called ,
i worked for Westminister in the 80s as well as every other London firm ,
all iam saying is dont sell yourself cheap and make the cheap 2 bob builders do it right mate ,
all i find they do is make our jobs look like ***** because they dont wanna pay for a decent job and thats whats happened with the photo ,
someone has seen it and thought a 2 bob job
and thats the truth mate

i aint trying to say anything brother ,
Kentledge is just weight placed at the bottom of a scaffold to act as a tie,
iam sure you have used it without knowing what its called ,
i worked for Westminister in the 80s as well as every other London firm ,
all iam saying is dont sell yourself cheap and make the cheap 2 bob builders do it right mate ,
all i find they do is make our jobs look like ***** because they dont wanna pay for a decent job and thats whats happened with the photo ,
someone has seen it and thought a 2 bob job
and thats the truth mate

---------- Post added at 10:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 PM ----------

The bloke who took the photo I think I know,
Who does more than fair share of 2bob jobs!
Can't remember bosses name from westminster scaffold, was a good un, worked on wapping plant, Globe theatre, and one or two others, including uderground. Until my best mate at the time died whilst working in a lift shaft one night.
I enjoyed it working in the smoke & living in Kensall rise until that happened

Hello copperknackers
The pic you took of temp cover on Latimer drive, Longton.
The back weight is sufficient to keep roof in place during wind, also, if you took time to look from Latimer drive itself you might have seen others measures taken to avoid wind lift

---------- Post added at 08:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:21 PM ----------

P.s. Any scaffolder would know that there are two 16s & 1X13' hanging down that roof!

I've seen the clock face in a church tower be blown in, then the pressure in the tower was enough to lift a 1.5 ton lead covered dome roof, which had a 3 lift x 3m x 3m haki tower, fully decked out, built above it, which also had a 1 ton weather vein hanging from that! Oh by the way the haki tower and everything else was lifted enough for 2 of the jacks to drop out of the bottom of the standards.

So If your confident that the back of that saddle and the 4 tube laid across the top will keep that roof down when it gets a bit breezy, then good luck, cause i've seen what the wind can do, i i beg to differ.

As phil says, if they don't want to pay for the job doing right, and using a design, then i wouldn't get involved, HSE won't do you any favours and keep fines cheap if owt goes wrong pal.

Last edited:
Top Bottom