Friction clamps

304897537e5f8b604a29a0cb37cfa5d6.jpg

Here's is the friction clamp used for a small cantilever,scaffold..

Good photos of the Mills friction clamp you can see it is doubled rapped if you have not used this before then if you look at the to large bolts or horns as they used to be call these must be as slack as possible before you attach the chain link to the claw.
then start screwing both horns a bit at a time to get level and to get the right torque and the safe working load .
what is the safe working load on this tipe as it changes as per drawing

---------- Post added at 06:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:22 PM ----------

Ps sorry to add to this job but as a question on the plan bracing, as you can see in this photo if you can not get a right angle fitting on it then do not put a swivel in the centre of it, as it is a pet hate off mine and also a complete waste off time,as it is doing nothing to improve the strength of he job it amazes me the amount of scaff,s who fall in to this habit,.
but dont take this personally Hopper as is just me or the way i was taught ,,,??

---------- Post added at 06:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:22 PM ----------

[/COLOR]Ps sorry to add to this job but as a question on the plan bracing, as you can see in this photo if you can not get a right angle fitting on it then do not put a swivel in the centre of it, as it is a pet hate off mine and also a complete waste off time,as it is doing nothing to improve the strength of he job it amazes me the amount of scaff,s who fall in to this habit,.
but dont take this personally Hopper as is just me or the way i was taught ,,,??[/QUOTE]

The swivel in question old Scaff ye I agree with you there I didn't actually put that on funny enough , I kicked the the beams off with the clamps then left the lads to it I'm the foreman up here have been for 6 years..

Shouldn't them friction clamps be used with a neoprene rubber mat between clamp, chains and pipe ?????

This is a nice to have ie rubber matts it will only save the paint work or stop any corrosin on the can if this job was up for some time.
If its up for a painting contract rubber matt will stop the painters getting right in to the steel work in the past SGB had there own clamp and the chain was protected with a plastic coating and when the job came down it would leave a scare round the can and the scaffs would be ask to tosh it in as they went, but as i said it would be a nice to have on each clamp but it would not add any strength to the clamp or job

The type of work we've had this year mainly jetty work these have ideal saved a lot of grief

Last edited:
This is a nice to have ie rubber matts it will only save the paint work or stop any corrosin on the can if this job was up for some time.
If its up for a painting contract rubber matt will stop the painters getting right in to the steel work in the past SGB had there own clamp and the chain was protected with a plastic coating and when the job came down it would leave a scare round the can and the scaffs would be ask to tosh it in as they went, but as i said it would be a nice to have on each clamp but it would not add any strength to the clamp or job

The neoprene rubber does help with friction . Metal to metal not the best. I've used them on a few jobs when I was that North Sea gypsy. Used to like the older ones weighed about a tonne with 40 foot of chunky chain hanging off them. Used to have to tie the fu--ers off when you released that chain.

I may be it would have help,, metal to metal is this not what tube and fitting is all about, may we should start using it on our fittings before we put our fittings on our tube Ho Ho only Teasing Charlie chill chill
but it might have been to expensive back in the day or it was not invented
Used this in Faslane MOD under base plates before any job could get kick off

Good photos of the Mills friction clamp you can see it is doubled rapped if you have not used this before then if you look at the to large bolts or horns as they used to be call these must be as slack as possible before you attach the chain link to the claw.
then start screwing both horns a bit at a time to get level and to get the right torque and the safe working load .
what is the safe working load on this tipe as it changes as per drawing

Ps sorry to add to this job but as a question on the plan bracing, as you can see in this photo if you can not get a right angle fitting on it then do not put a swivel in the centre of it, as it is a pet hate off mine and also a complete waste off time,as it is doing nothing to improve the strength of he job it amazes me the amount of scaff,s who fall in to this habit,.
but dont take this personally Hopper as is just me or the way i was taught ,,,??

------

Last edited:
At the time of that picture , this job had just started there was still ledgers/transoms to be erected the photo was taken for verification from the engineer about the clamps with the cantilevered beams that's why scaffold is incomplete .

That's what i mean about some scaffs or so called scaffs they see something and it lights up there past life Hairdresser or putting up deck chairs and check up on the Donkeys, or may be they did not want to be a scaffolder and go charging right in there,
its not about the job or any snipes you can throw in its about team work and learning about each others bad habits now even on towers or any job that you put in Saltire plan bracing or cross plan bracing is plan bracing not sway bracing or knckle bracing or ledger bracing or now as they call it fa sad bracing if you can not get a right angle fitting on it then don't do it as its no doing anything no matter what you might think or what you got told when you were doing that shampoo and rinse or chasing those donkeys up and down the beach so take some advice form the fourm and go and put your swivel were it fits and hope is tight

At the time of that picture , this job had just started there was still ledgers/transoms to be erected the photo was taken for verification from the engineer about the clamps with the cantilevered beams that's why scaffold is incomplete .

-------------------------

---------- Post added at 10:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 PM ----------

[/COLOR]
That's what i mean about some scaffs or so called scaffs they see something and it lights up there past life Hairdresser or putting up deck chairs and check up on the Donkeys, or may be they did not want to be a scaffolder and go charging right in there,
its not about the job or any snipes you can throw in its about team work and learning about each others bad habits now even on towers or any job that you put in Saltire plan bracing or cross plan bracing is plan bracing not sway bracing or knckle bracing or ledger bracing or now as they call it fa sad bracing if you can not get a right angle fitting on it then don't do it as its no doing anything no matter what you might think or what you got told when you were doing that shampoo and rinse or chasing those donkeys up and down the beach so take some advice form the fourm and go and put your swivel were it fits and hope is tight

---------------------

Last edited:
Top Bottom