band and plate question..

The SWL you are referring to is the SW slip load when fixed to a standard.

We have a sheet from SGB stating that a band and plate has a SWL of 9.15kN - same as a class B double, although I am highly dubious about their data.
Was that data compiled using a chair or without Phil ?

Last edited:
id be interested to see if it is with a chair or not
because i havent seen one in 18 years so you could more or less forget that data sheet if it is with the chair

My company recently tested some Band and Plate couplers without the chair and the slip loads we far lower than a class B double can attain, they don't even meet the EN74 criteria for a class A double. As they are not included in TG20 or EN74 they do not need to be as strong as a class A double, they merely have to be as strong as the manufacturer states that they are.

Band in plate or Set well that was a Question I ask many years ago
Answer Two Band in plate boxed make one set
it still make me laugh some times when someone asks for a half set
so just pass a band plate,
Next question was why one hole or tow holes round the band
Answer this is to stop the band cracking under pressure IE ice or any impact on the Job
The chair was stop because it was to expensive,,,
they added a small nipple on the end of the screw plate to stop the bolt going through the tube once the chair was put out of service but even this was at a cost and that was scrapped
even now the new plate is of poor quality with a very small lip round the edge can be a potential dropped object if it has not been put in square the old fish plate was the original and it sat in the band very comfortable and would not move but all in all if you can use them then you can do tricks with this fitting

Aye, the Band and Plate + Captain Hooks best quality and versatile coupler of all time, closely followed by the Millsiz...

the Maggie Esson was handy when erecting underslung tube, chalk off the length and you could see the chalk mark through through the hole...

Aye, yi can do a few tricks wi the set right enough...

Welcome back Gary, it's been a while since we have seen you on here. Are you home or away?

Aye when you coulndt afford swivels so used two hooks and a butt for the bottom of the brace.
When you used a hook as a steel clamp.
You could not prove it now but it never failed
And how high did they bounce

Alistair

Still at the Saudi Petroleum Services Polytechnic Dammam, due home on the 20 th for a Feild Break...

Howz things been with you ???

Garry...

---------- Post added at 01:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:33 PM ----------

mspence

Aye, a sign of quality sprung steel, bounce all they out of the Yard PMSL...

B&P got the same slip on the vertical as horizontal ( Chineez ) eh, yi could do anything with the SG gear...makes a tidy check coupler ana with a wee butt and an excellent splice...

come on Scaffs lets hear all the wee tricks yiz got up ti and I dont mean sellin the gear for a full cargo wi the Boys...

Used to be good when doing terraced bay fronted houses. Longer transoms were need on the ends and you could fix a short tube with a set on a slight angle. This would keep the lap boards from kicking.
As you say good for splicing and good for supporting under a balcony.
Did a big temp roof in Oxford years ago using just set, independents, beams and purlins.
Great fitting.

Best fitting going for saddles,step in's and inside standard's close to wall's;)

Tying ladder at the bottom of kick lift seen some scaffs putting doubles on and using flat spanner because the kick lift is so low
Turn set up side down and screw plate at the top turn and there is no need for flat spanner

Alistair

Still at the Saudi Petroleum Services Polytechnic Dammam, due home on the 20 th for a Feild Break...

Howz things been with you ???

Garry...

---------- Post added at 01:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:33 PM ----------

mspence

Aye, a sign of quality sprung steel, bounce all they out of the Yard PMSL...

B&P got the same slip on the vertical as horizontal ( Chineez ) eh, yi could do anything with the SG gear...makes a tidy check coupler ana with a wee butt and an excellent splice...

come on Scaffs lets hear all the wee tricks yiz got up ti and I dont mean sellin the gear for a full cargo wi the Boys...
Aye chinky band and plate was a seperate trade
Sadly no ticket though

External ladder banister seen some scaffs using swivels and then scaff pads to stop any pinch points .
Stick tubes on the out side of the the two butts and the band will be on the inside with the screw on the out side no need for Scaff pads does this make sense
more tricks to come ,,,,,,,,
How to check a Band plate dropper or puncheon later...

Old Scaff

Makes perfect sense...

Whens the reunion with the Glasgow Chapter ???

Garry...

the scaffolders ball is it that time already
is wee warbash going to make another appearance ;)

Top Bottom