Anyone for Gloves?

We never wore gloves years ago, sad to say I know loads of retired scaffs whose fingers have started curling in due to arthritis,know one lad,think he's 68 has had two fingers cut off because they had curled into the palms of his hand.He never ever wore gloves in 30 years of scaffolding.So being a macho he- man when you are young can come back to haunt you when you are older and remember we all get old!!( Posted this in the Wearing Gloves thread,what's the difference?)

flinty,i understand about wearing gloves and the deseases that are out there,but i have had hard skin since i was about 18,its now about 5/6 mm thick and very tough,they never come properly clean,my nails are never cut,i bite them off,i have tried wearing gloves,but after twenty mins,they look like ive been in bath for to long,therefore very tender,so no working till they dry out.two years ago i had to stop working in the cold,as my skin was tearing off in chunks ,stuck to tube,it was -13 at the time,now i dont bother if its past -10.just so it dunt happen again.a few months ago,my son past me a board down,i let it drop a little bit,a splinter went threw my skin between my thumb and first finger,i pulled it off the board,and it only bleed a minute,then stopped,if it had been soft,it would have been stitches.:Dim 48 now,and my hands are good.

Fair play I wish my hands had hardened that much. I do know where you're coming from I know plenty of scaffs with seriously hard hands. Just be careful, dont let them get bad. I'm only concerned about my fellow scaffs buddy :blink1:

i got told about all sorts of hand deseases when i was 17,after starting work in the iron foundry.over the last twenty years i have watched my mothers hands fall apart with some sort of infection,i thought it was all the chemicals she used at home,(washing up liquid,washing machine powder,etc)now its in the paper the other day,that these chemicals can do this sort of thing to us,sadly she died last year,so no court case there then.:suspicious:

if you go into the jobs section youl find a few lads who are on grangemouth mate,theres a few.

Top Bottom