Anyone done the Nebosh general or construction certificate?

@ Bobby

There is no such thing as failure…I prefer to say, not yet competent, I apply that term to my thought process…no matter how long it takes to become competent…

March or Die, Bobby M8...

Hi Pal,
I did my NEBOSH Construction a couple of years ago over a 15 week period (1 day a week) and to be honest I was scared sh**less when I started, but by the end of the course I was a lot more confident and clued up. If you want to apply the knowledge you've gained over the years then go for it. The exams are an eye opener, really difficult, but if you do the work and apply yourself you'll be fine. Good Luck

Bobby did mine eight year ago but unlike the others that have posted so far I did mine over a three week period with Health and Safety Training Courses & Qualifications - Phoenix Health & Safety
They are a very professional firm with thousands of candidates that have passed with them.The lectures and training material is 1st class.Have a gander on their web-site for loads of information and test questions.

Be prepared to study very hard and long, the exams are not a walk over on the contrary they are fecking difficult. If you commit to the study you will pass, but an half ars*d attempt will result in failure.

Get yourself a copy of "Introduction to Health and Safety in Construction" written by Phil Hughes and Ed Ferrett. It is a 600page A4 sized text book that is the bible and holy grail to passing the NEBOSH construction Certificate. The book is in it's forth edition,but this was published in June 2011, I have a feeling that the 5th edition may be ready for release soon so check with a good bookshop. (I recieved a copy in the course training material from Phoenix, I think the price is around £50 to buy now) It will give you a good insight into what you will be expected to know as regards the examinations.

Lastly all the best in your studies, onward and upward

Last edited:
Hello boys just read marras thread asking for advanced course details and I had a thought............

The rigging is too in and out for me so have given it some thought and might go for one of the above next year

Has anyone got any files or something that they could send over just so I can have a butchers please? And how did you find the course was it hard, and did you do it in a classroom or online etc

I'm just intelligence gathering lads seeing if it's feasible or not for a thick **** like me having a go lol, Garry's gonna send over the international cert for me

As always cheers lads :love:

Hi mate. I completed my general certificate in 2007. Wasn't difficult to take in but exams were quite challenging. Reams of writing and ,if memory serves me correctly, we're about two hrs long.
It would probably be easier now to undertake as h & s info is more readily available now. ie site notice boards etc.

Well young bobby, youve had some crackin advice here. A lot of hard work and commitment for a miniscule % of your life will define the rest of your long career. go for it.
Maybe see you at Phils.
Vllb,thats quality mate.

I'm Just doing the General now and it is quite hard and 2 x 1 week blocks with a week break in between. Have been told though that I won't have to do the full construction one if I manage to pass this one.
That is my next step.

Excellent post. Once you've passed the coarse how hard is it getting a job in h&s. Are companies willing to take on men with just on the tools experiance. 13 year at the game

Hi mate. I undertook my NEBOSH in 2007. Haven't found a job yet as every prospective employer wants staff with experience. Unless you get someone who is forward thinking and willing to take on someone eager then it isn't going to happen. The money people are offering is shocking too. I'm about 10-15k a year better off being on the tools.

I did my General Certificate back in the mid nineties after 20 odd years on the spanner and 6 or 7 before that doing other site jobs.
I did a 2 week intense course, which having been out of any type of schooling for 25 years or so at the time, i found really difficult, but i managed to pass first time thankfully, as i couldn't afford to do it all again at the time if i failed.
It was difficult to get a start in H&S afterwards, because as others have pointed out, all the companies wanted someone with some background experience.
I couldn't even get back into scaffolding management properly, as companies made comments like "Oh, you have scaffolding and health and safety qualifications. Isn't that a conflict of interest ?"
After a couple of years i got called by an agent who needed someone in Oman for an up to 3 month only, end of project HSE supervisor with scaffolding knowledge job and although i wanted something longer than that, i took it.
It's this type of start you need to be looking for, either in the UK or abroad ie, filling in where no one else wants to. This first 3 months led directly to me being kept on by the company for their next project in the UAE which lasted 2 years and with that on my CV, i have since travelled and worked all over Europe, North Africa, UAE and now the Far East and have earned some excellent salaries.
Just take anything that will get something related to HSE supervision on your CV, even if it is only as a supervisor/oficer/advisor. It's just like starting in scaffolding, you cannot jump in directly at the advanced level, you have to work your way up.
I also went through and am still going through the pangs of having to tell people not to do things that i did quite normally many years ago, but there is a way to do it and explain the reasons why and unlike some 'straight-out-of-college' HSE qualified people, we with previous site working knowledge should be able to explain how things have changed and companies perceptions of what is acceptable and what is not (manily for legal reasons normally), have changed. Because of our previous working experiences, we can also assess the actual risks of perhaps being a little bit flexible in certain circumstances, whereas the guy straight out of a perfect college environment, where everything is taught as being either black or white, with no flexibility to be allowed, can actually be a hindrance on site in highly pressurised construction schedules.
My advice is to go for the General Certificate and take it from there. I've never done the Diploma, but have to say that there have been a few positions that have been denied to me in the past because i do not have it, particularly overseas, as many countries now seem to want a degree in place before they will grant a visa to the company that wants to employ you.
One way out of that is to do what many of the Indians and Pakistanis i've worked with in the Middle East do, and that is to buy one online, but they are easily spottable if anyone really looks and again, it's something i would not do myself, or advise others to do.
As for HSE Managers/Advisors being hated, some do take this stance against you, but a sense of humour helps and spending time having the craic with the lads during your daily contact with them, normally eases any tensions and it is only the odd idiot who really rebels aginst you and what you are trying to do, which is really only protecting them and others from harm. Those types you can well do without anyway and if they will not make any effort to join with everyone else in doing things safely, then you are probably better off without them being around.
Good luck anyway.
Cheers,
John.

Top Bottom