Altrad Competancy test ?

I have seen a lot of folk mentioning the Van Thiel system in various different threads….
For those of you that have never used it I will explain a few things in detail, I won’t be posting any videos as another member did.

1. The van Thiel tube is the same as a normal scaffold tube, same lengths same diameter.
2. You don’t use a sleeve with the van Thiel were as normal tube you do.
3. The van Thiel double will do the exact same thing as a bolt fitting if not better...
4. I will explain why this is such a good system for the folk that have never used it.
5. You don’t have to stagger your standards or ledgers with van Thiel, the tubes hemp or join together you twist and lock it, all load bearing.
6. Now this is what the tube is ideal for (suspended scaffolds).you put your first dropper in, now you want to drop down again, with normal tube you would drop your next dropper of the hand rail and start again on the next lift, with van Thiel you simply hemp it into the existing dropper twist and lock…job done all load bearing, if you want to check it for your own reassurance you can use a double bolt sleeve.(but not necessary).
7. I will explain now the doubles and then get back to what they are good for..
8. A van Thiel double is the same as a bolt double, only difference is they use pins, or spears as I use to call them when I was scaffolding, they don’t have the same load bearing as a bolt double there is a difference of 0.3kn..so if your building to a drawing you would use bolt double on the hangers and then switch back to the van Thiel afterwards..
9. A van Thiel double will not rust like a bolt double that’s under all the harsh elements of the north sea, you won’t wind at it all day with your spanner trying to wrap it up. Simply to wraps of your hammer/podger and its done. You don’t have to oil or service them. When the pins get worn after many yrs. of use you throw them away and but new,10 a penny bought in bulk.
10. You can bridle a van Thiel double ,which will be load bearing not like a single meaning it wont have to be picked up or use band an plate. The bridle tube will not affect your boards like the bolt on a uk double would.
11. All your transoms are double to double, not on singles twice as strong.
12. If setting out an independent, especially a big run, you build a small horse on the ground to the same dimensions, all braced and squared up. while you’re setting out you get your buddy to start making up hundreds of template(transoms) remember these are only pins ,one bang of a hammer will open it in a second.
13. Now you’re ready for your first lift, you have your ledgers in ready for the transom, a few sway brace in, you can temp these as well if you like, now you bang all your trannies in, assuming you have the exact same measurement on both scaffold and horse, once you bang the transom in it will now plum every standard, meaning not fecking about with a bubble, no Aberdeen,(only if required especially offshore) afterwards you can bag in a few internal bracing if need be every other one depending on your needs.
14. There is loads of tricks you can do with this stuff, I could write a book on it, very simple system to use, gets better with practice. Once you get use to the spear double you will never want to use a bolt double again…
And know I don’t do digs nor do I work for van Thiel, just trying to do a little for the forum...
:bigsmile:

not sure happy.

i think they used to be cheshire scaffolds then became northern scaffold group now owned by the french[altrad]

I worked with them as nsg about 15 years ago and then as nsg pletac in 2000.thye did used to get some good stuff in the far east etc

big thing for me is it dosent foul boards on cantilever ,, if you do what i do and always use a bridle tube underneath ,, no singles ,,, no slip fears ,, ive got this in my head , but it sounds good !

---------- Post added at 09:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 PM ----------

or foul boards foul boards fuul stop ,,

I have seen a lot of folk mentioning the Van Thiel system in various different threads….
For those of you that have never used it I will explain a few things in detail, I won’t be posting any videos as another member did.

1. The van Thiel tube is the same as a normal scaffold tube, same lengths same diameter.
2. You don’t use a sleeve with the van Thiel were as normal tube you do.
3. The van Thiel double will do the exact same thing as a bolt fitting if not better...
4. I will explain why this is such a good system for the folk that have never used it.
5. You don’t have to stagger your standards or ledgers with van Thiel, the tubes hemp or join together you twist and lock it, all load bearing.
6. Now this is what the tube is ideal for (suspended scaffolds).you put your first dropper in, now you want to drop down again, with normal tube you would drop your next dropper of the hand rail and start again on the next lift, with van Thiel you simply hemp it into the existing dropper twist and lock…job done all load bearing, if you want to check it for your own reassurance you can use a double bolt sleeve.(but not necessary).
7. I will explain now the doubles and then get back to what they are good for..
8. A van Thiel double is the same as a bolt double, only difference is they use pins, or spears as I use to call them when I was scaffolding, they don’t have the same load bearing as a bolt double there is a difference of 0.3kn..so if your building to a drawing you would use bolt double on the hangers and then switch back to the van Thiel afterwards..
9. A van Thiel double will not rust like a bolt double that’s under all the harsh elements of the north sea, you won’t wind at it all day with your spanner trying to wrap it up. Simply to wraps of your hammer/podger and its done. You don’t have to oil or service them. When the pins get worn after many yrs. of use you throw them away and but new,10 a penny bought in bulk.
10. You can bridle a van Thiel double ,which will be load bearing not like a single meaning it wont have to be picked up or use band an plate. The bridle tube will not affect your boards like the bolt on a uk double would.
11. All your transoms are double to double, not on singles twice as strong.
12. If setting out an independent, especially a big run, you build a small horse on the ground to the same dimensions, all braced and squared up. while you’re setting out you get your buddy to start making up hundreds of template(transoms) remember these are only pins ,one bang of a hammer will open it in a second.
13. Now you’re ready for your first lift, you have your ledgers in ready for the transom, a few sway brace in, you can temp these as well if you like, now you bang all your trannies in, assuming you have the exact same measurement on both scaffold and horse, once you bang the transom in it will now plum every standard, meaning not fecking about with a bubble, no Aberdeen,(only if required especially offshore) afterwards you can bag in a few internal bracing if need be every other one depending on your needs.
14. There is loads of tricks you can do with this stuff, I could write a book on it, very simple system to use, gets better with practice. Once you get use to the spear double you will never want to use a bolt double again…
And know I don’t do digs nor do I work for van Thiel, just trying to do a little for the forum...
:bigsmile:

You need to get out more!

Tosser.

Theres the idiots appearing again , cant see anybody having a bit of knowledge and wanting to help without bein a w.anker , the fella was helpin me out whats your beef young lad ?

Theres the idiots appearing again , cant see anybody having a bit of knowledge and wanting to help without bein a w.anker , the fella was helpin me out whats your beef young lad ?

Go away Jimmy Krankie.

You're boring....

dont see many dutch going to great britain for work ,, how many oil rigs are being made in your neck lads ???????????????????

dont see many dutch going to great britain for work ,, how many oil rigs are being made in your neck lads ???????????????????

You chose to bypass my post? Very convinient that the new guy piped up with some rubbish.

You can do better than that, Jimmy!

Holland is a very industrialised country with a massive shipping fleet and every spare bit of land has a farm on it,and they do look after their own in terms of contracts so the place is always a last resort for me personally,too many distractions and not enough cash for my likeing.
Theres not too many dutch steigerbouwers lots of turks and now polish nowadays,the brits get all the tricky stuff.

good luck with that frank , sure u wont need it , i replied to your pm but theres nothing i can tell you , my experience was that 2 guys 20 years older wouldnt listen to me about van thiel and cost themselves and me a job , i had 3 good days in the dam

it would probably be better/easier for people to see a video or animation of an erection method with this system/fittings,

Last edited:
I would not worry Frank if is tube and wedge fittings it is essentially like our tube and fitting,happyhugenoet is right not many dutch scaffs ,but plenty of Polish scaffs there now and a sprinkling of Brits to do the difficult stuff

You need to get out more!

Tosser.

Very hard to do when you are at sea. Mind you its almost 40 degrees were I am, but I have plenty of air co in my office, and getting paid over 500e a day tax free I’ll have plenty of going out to do with my family and friends when I arrive home for Christmas.

thats it jonnie ,, id hate not to be able to get home for christmas ;]

Speedier are starting to you it but think its only the wedge transoms and normall tube for the now

Very hard to do when you are at sea. Mind you its almost 40 degrees were I am, but I have plenty of air co in my office, and getting paid over 500e a day tax free I’ll have plenty of going out to do with my family and friends when I arrive home for Christmas.

Hey thanks for the update on your social life Jimmy.

Luckily for me, I don't have the need to earn a decent wage working on a two-bob oil rig in the middle east.

Anyway, enjoy xmas, and the sloppy seconds with your missus, whilst you're at home...

Top Bottom