working in the rain

paddy is right when you have subbie labour on the same jobs as direct employed then there will be conflicts sometimes , personally i work in the rain till i have had enough , if i get up at 5.30 drive to work then i want to earn a days money

thats my thinking on it aswell

joemcd 41yrs havent worked in rain since done 4yrs apprenticeship dsl glasgow been on road for 12 years now. like other lad said it depends what type of work you do in stations and refinerys your not required to work in rain so if want keep dry aviod streetwork esp for subbies

There speaks wee Joe(safety expert). I remember a certain mad sod walking along the transoms 4 lifts up wi no handrail on Belmont st. with me an Alec McCully lmao

haha, what you complaining about, the Jocks gave you the Mac.;)

back in the 80s & 90s i used to work for a company outa reading called claw and a giant of a supervisor called brian batt would holler & shout about yer skins waterproof or your made of suger etc....but come payday when you checked ur wages u were short ...why- cos u dont work as hard in the rain would come the reply.... & it was true,with rain dripping down yer neck it was hard to concentrate on anything else, but in the middle of a recession and needing to put food on the table you'd do what needed to be done & health & saftey never came into it.
20+ years later owning my own company things are done a little differnt - all the guys get wet weather gear & good stuff as well, but if they dont wanna work it's there call ( but their pay stops the min they do).if its just fine stuff then normal work routine applies thats what ur wet gears for
if its big fat rain that comes up from underneath it - the type that even i wouldnt work in then i'll tell them to stop & pay them full , cos it was my call. or offer them the full shift for 1/2 a day if we really need to get the job done,
but there comes a time where the cash isnt in the job to allow u to do that..then i usually give em a few early finishes to make up for working in it.
i dont think anyone has ever quoted health & saftey to me about not wanting to work in it though.

iv all ways been a beliver if its bounceing down then you want some thing out of workin in it iv never been paid extra for working in the rain but you want to be away a couple of hour early.
let the boss set the target hit the target and your away im not talking 10-11 oclock but about 2ish but they stoped all the early finishes now gone are the days of the flyer but that was with other companys iv work for and when your not getting an early finnish you got out get wet then go in and dry of for an hour or so thats only fare.
now with the company im with now its totaly diffrent if they evan think its gona rain they are cabind up wich im not a fan of nothing worse than 8 hour sat in the cabin or evan sat there all morning and it stops on the afternoon so you have to go out cause by then you just carnt be arsed.
there needs to be a happy medium i think if its just light rain keeps you cool and it dosnt harm you if it gets to heavy then seek local shelter, but i have no choise i have to go in with them just the way it is on these sites. and it is partly down to safety team scared shitless in case some 1 has an accident

every morning the,ll be have a dozen lads in the cabin praying fo rain it un beliveable!!!

Last edited:
up this way its work in the rain or go "off the clock" in which case your guaranteed a right good ribbing from the lads for being a p*ssy! and no pay that day! sorts the men out from the boys! :nuts:

back in the 80s & 90s i used to work for a company outa reading called claw and a giant of a supervisor called brian batt would holler & shout about yer skins waterproof or your made of suger etc....but come payday when you checked ur wages u were short ...why- cos u dont work as hard in the rain would come the reply.... & it was true,with rain dripping down yer neck it was hard to concentrate on anything else, but in the middle of a recession and needing to put food on the table you'd do what needed to be done & health & saftey never came into it.
20+ years later owning my own company things are done a little differnt - all the guys get wet weather gear & good stuff as well, but if they dont wanna work it's there call ( but their pay stops the min they do).if its just fine stuff then normal work routine applies thats what ur wet gears for
if its big fat rain that comes up from underneath it - the type that even i wouldnt work in then i'll tell them to stop & pay them full , cos it was my call. or offer them the full shift for 1/2 a day if we really need to get the job done,
but there comes a time where the cash isnt in the job to allow u to do that..then i usually give em a few early finishes to make up for working in it.
i dont think anyone has ever quoted health & saftey to me about not wanting to work in it though.

SP i spent a week on " Claws" in the very early 90s , there was a supervisor there called Dennis cant remember his surname real nice fella , i had to fook of after a week because of all the mud on a site they had me on , my nice reebok trainers couldnt take it any more :laugh:

We are, on a daily basis reminded with every toolbox talk we sign and every induction we attend that Health and Safety comes FIRST, over and above everything.
I think working in the rain is not safe.
Tubes become slippery and Boards become considerably heavier = risk of them being dropped increases too.
But, go home and get no money.
That dont mean i dont do it, i carry about wet gear in my bag encase it does rain and work in it.
Worked in the rain loads of times.

CIS is different, but PAYE?? is it not your companies legal duty to offer other means of work, should you be affected by inclement weather??
Im sure i heard somewhere thats what should happen.

The Way The Weather Is Here Working In The Rain Is The Least Of My Problems, Its Been Chucking It Down With Snow Since Lunchtime Yesterday, Its About Four Inches Deep And Still Snowing. Could Make For An Interesting Monday Though.

With prices so tight there's no margin to not work in the rain,last year was the wettest year I can recall ever,if we stopped work because of the rain then we simply wouldn't be trading today,and I think it's the same for all small company's,as for a legal obligation to find inside work well that's all well and good if by chance you've got inside work happening at that time,but inside work is a rare commodity indeed:(

With prices so tight there's no margin to not work in the rain,last year was the wettest year I can recall ever,if we stopped work because of the rain then we simply wouldn't be trading today,and I think it's the same for all small company's,as for a legal obligation to find inside work well that's all well and good if by chance you've got inside work happening at that time,but inside work is a rare commodity indeed:(

Roger 'the Guru' Nutkins only works inside. :bigsmile:

Most of our in door work is usually done in July when the sun is splitting the sky. Jason, there is no legal obligation on me or any other employer to offer in door work to anyone. Working in inclement weather is down to risk assessment but more likely wind would affect that than rain. As BF has already noted, if we didn't work in the rain we simply would never work. Nothing slippy about working on a fully boarded job in the rain to my mind.

We are, on a daily basis reminded with every toolbox talk we sign and every induction we attend that Health and Safety comes FIRST, over and above everything.
I think working in the rain is not safe.
Tubes become slippery and Boards become considerably heavier = risk of them being dropped increases too.
But, go home and get no money.
That dont mean i dont do it, i carry about wet gear in my bag encase it does rain and work in it.
Worked in the rain loads of times.

CIS is different, but PAYE?? is it not your companies legal duty to offer other means of work, should you be affected by inclement weather??
Im sure i heard somewhere thats what should happen.

From what i have heard the only chance you have of getting wet is if a tap or cistern leaks in the London Bridge toilets.;)

Top Bottom