Scaffold inside a silo

A 50m high x 14m wide silo??? fek me thats a big old tank!!

Is it classified as a confined space? Whats you're access and egress like.

Not being funny, but don't fancy down loading what ever links you've posted, once bitten twice shy and all that.

If you've got a job running around the outside of the silo, is there any openings in the silo wall, which will allow you to span beams through the silo and build from these?

The silo cone starts at 12.750 meters, so the total length of the scaffold is only 37,25m. the rest is the steel base holding it up. As you can see on the blueprints in the links ;)

There is no openings on the side but the top is all wide open until they close it. I forgot to mention that they are building the silo so we are building the scaffold at the same time following their progress. In the bottom there is a 6m diameter hole.
So no beams will be possible to push trough. Again, you will see this on the blueprint, I can send them by email instead if you prefer that.

We will send everything down with the crane from the top when we build on the inside.

They need access to all areas of the silo both in and outside, its pieced together with nuts and bolts only. No welding, its gonna be alooooooot of bolts.

The silo cone starts at 12.750 meters, so the total length of the scaffold is only 37,25m. the rest is the steel base holding it up. As you can see on the blueprints in the links ;)

There is no openings on the side but the top is all wide open until they close it. I forgot to mention that they are building the silo so we are building the scaffold at the same time following their progress. In the bottom there is a 6m diameter hole.
So no beams will be possible to push trough. Again, you will see this on the blueprint, I can send them by email instead if you prefer that.

We will send everything down with the crane from the top when we build on the inside.

They need access to all areas of the silo both in and outside, its pieced together with nuts and bolts only. No welding, its gonna be alooooooot of bolts.

Just reading that back, and i'm thinking Fuking hell, that sounds like a right ballache, so the price is the price, if they don't like it, tough shi7. Sounds like a decent sized job with a multitude of problems so its one that would be hard to quantify anyway. Crane the ready made base in for me, as derry says, speak to haki and they'll produce something for you

I have already talked to them, we have an ongoing contact right now, discussing different solutions. Still, I feel that more input is most welcome. I don`t have a problem building a base that will do the job, Im just trying to make it more cost effective for the customer and also easier to build for me and my team.

Can you shore up the external of the cone? Did one a few years ago, got the engineer to transfer some points from the shored/supported external of the cone to the internal, so the loads went through the cone and straight to the ground. Only weight we had to worry about was the self weight of the scaffold. Built a crash deck at first decent level and built on top of that.

The cone will hold the weight of the scaffold, Supports will be positioned from the outside. I am not really concerned about the weight.

The most likely approach right now is a crash deck as you say. However I would like to avoid that and try to get it done with less material.

Another thing I have to consider is that our supply yard is about 12 hours away and has to go by boat a part of that way. Therefore I cannot simply go get some more stuff if I forget anything in the transport :)

Last edited:
I never opened your links but sounds like a job to be avoided.

Haha, I love your enthusiasm everyone. Its gonna be alright, gonna be a challenge alright but I think it will be fun to build the base inside the cone.

Its about two months until build start, Ill try to get some pictures of the scaffold to show you when we are done.

Thank you everyone.

R.b not trying to be negative but if things go wrong it could be costly especially that distance with base. Make sure you have yourself covered. Good luck with it. Hope it all goes well

Seriously, why are you concerning yourself with trying to save your client money on this project. If you have costed and they still want a deduction tell them after looking at the cost you have realised its a bigger project that first thought and now the price is double! The job sounds hard enough as it is without the cost cutting. If you have costed correctly on a job this size then is shouldn't matter what system or how you do on a project this size.

Last edited:
Derryscaff: Thank you for your concern, I am not worried tough :)

Dandaps: Well, they have not asked for a deduction. Its me trying to get the price down, and by that making the work easier for me and my team at the same time.

I always try to build as cost effective as possible, and its fun thinking of new ways to build something.

They will probably be a little surprised of the cost tough, in the first discussion the bottom cone was not supposed to be mounted before our scaffold had been taken down. I dont think they understand how much more work it is to build it with cone in place.

---------- Post added at 06:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:08 AM ----------

Why on earth would you want to get the price down for the client for fek sakes your experience in this line of work is very limited internal access in a silo getting materials in and out are going to be restricted and as you say it's progressive so getting materials out once complete will be even harder fek lowering your price fek trying to reduce materials it is what it is lots of hard work do not fall on your face trying go make reductions because the client will laugh at you

Why on earth would you want to get the price down for the client for fek sakes your experience in this line of work is very limited internal access in a silo getting materials in and out are going to be restricted and as you say it's progressive so getting materials out once complete will be even harder fek lowering your price fek trying to reduce materials it is what it is lots of hard work do not fall on your face trying go make reductions because the client will laugh at you

Because getting the price down equals using less material equals less effort to build this for me and my time equals more material left over for other work and lastly the costumer sees that I make every effort to save them money and time. That is often appreciated, these guys are not only gonna build one silo you know...

My experience is limited? I dont know how you are able to know that but ok.

Ok let's go to your first thread quote the client thinks the price is high,then you quoted in one of your thread's it's not the client it's me trying to reduce the cost,silo work is nothing more than hard work so that kind of gives me an edge over you on your experience your internal is more labour than the external price your internal scaffold separate from external calculate your internal cost don't scrimp on the price there's lots of labour involved,price your external separate this is where you will be able to cut cost in manual handling if your thread reads correctly for use of a crane keep the two prices speperate remember this and explain to the client the first one will be trial and error and if you have a good relationship with your client explain if there is any savings to be made it will be made on the next one good luck

Ah, sorry I made a mistake, I have given them a price range, not the specific price yet. They mentioned it sounded high at the top end but they havent straight out said that its to high. Still, lowering cost and labor is worth a lot to me even if I do not gain anything more then less work for my team. I enjoy building with less, its not hard or challenging to build with endless amount of stuff, less is more.

I would argue that you are underestimating my experience in this kind of work but that is nothing I feel worth debating.

Thank you for your input.

Your better pricing too high and if savings can be found at end of job pass them on if you want but your client will not appreciate you getting half way through the job then saying you didn't allow enough for it and you can't go on because your loosing money. Jobs like these if you get them make them worth your while and if another scaff wants to do it for less good luck to them

I hear you, I wont do this work and make a loss of it. If I can make it cheaper, less material and so on without making the scaffold less good then I will do so. ( or losing money)
Building without thinking is not my thing. Thats all.

Top Bottom