Starting scaffolding company

rhysboy

Reaction score
was wondering if anybody could give me a heads up on starting up a firm ive been scaffolding for 18 years and want to go it alone dont want to get to big want to keep it small and simple me and my brother inlaw to start and see how it goes from there 2 lorrys a yard and six men would do me fine .
This is what i have
8000 g floating
A lock up container holds loads with 24 hr access on storage yard with room to use part of his site if i get bigger as a yard
6000 worth of tube and fittings
200 13ft boards out back garden lol
3.5 t half back to start maybe get another if need to
Want to hold out with 7.5t as i dont have liscence for it and costs etc while i wait to see how it goes
I am looking to target quick turnaround jobs to start ie roofers gutter facias solar work painters etc
2 million public liability for 2 workers

What else do i need to do and register bear in mind i have no yard for now and just 3.5 t
Any good ideas aka advertising etc
Getting work have a limited company set up for bank payments hoping for alot of cash work to get me going im still working at the min on good mny so want to get all info before i take the plung i have some builders ready to use me at mo
Any ideas pricing wise i have a good idea but any info will help cheers

Just because ur hoping to do quick turnaround jobs dont expect the payments to be quick or indeed in cash.
just remember
turnover is vanity
casflow is sanity
profit is reality.

B4 u get carried away taking on everything & anything -work your costs out backwards & if theres not enough money left for the hassle,then let it go

Cheers mate
I wanted to no if i will be good to go with just the half back and public liability is there any licences etc i need
I no i need council permits for street works n stuff
And if i get a 7.5 t operaters licence and place to work out of and money in bank to get the operaters licence but that wont be yet
Was thinking of pricing at 12- 14 metre linear any good ?
Obviously thats without any other obstacles they will be added to price if needs be
I was going to turn down any work that will need to be up for more than two weeks while im starting out
Anything else i need to no or im doing wrong ?

Where about's are you based? You won't make much charging £12-14 pm! We only started up last year pricing at £25-£30 per meter and still win loads if work. Jobs staying up long periods are easy money if you arrange set hire rates!

3.5 ton truck is great to start with as costs next to nothing to run but apply for operators licence before you need it as it takes around 3 months.

---------- Post added at 05:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:12 PM ----------

And £8k won't go far!! We spent 80-100k in first year!

South wales mate maybe you can charge more were you are ?
Do i need an operators licence for 3.5 t
I aint got a yard yet just a pick up and storage yard with 24 hr access
Who do i apply with cos i wanted to work within 45 miles of base and theres about 7 different council boroughs in this area
Thats why i wanted the jobs to be a quick turnaround so i dont need as much to get going

No you can run a 3.5 ton on a car licence with not operators licence but soon as you go over 3.5 ton gvw you'll need o licence.

Apply for operators licence here - https://www.gov.uk/being-a-goods-vehicle-operator

---------- Post added at 06:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:39 PM ----------

For quick turn around aim for solar installations as they are quick as!

Cheers mare where are you at then ?
A builder by me said he paying 16 a m so a front of house works out 250- 300
I said id do it for 200 me and a labourer 2 hrs work
Surely i can make mny at that ?
My labourer can drive so was thinking as it got busier get another 3.5 t i no there will come a stage when i need 7.5t
I cant wait ta start now 2 months then im goin straight at it whats the best way to advertise and whats worked for you
Getting black hi viz tshirts with company logo sent out and black hoodies aswell
Are signs worth tha mny or should i just stick them on jobs in full view busy roads etc

If course signs are worth the money as long as the jobs look good!

House front for £200 if you think that you gotta pay 2 blokes to go put it up then 2 blokes to take it down + diesel, insurances, yard, plus endless other overheads!

Still sound worth it?? Stick with working for a company at first and do your jobs in the side and build up a decent client base until you are so busy your forced to leave.

But set a decent price rate and stick to it! Don't be a busy fool!!!

Cheers mate goid advise just if its me and a labourer i can earn mny at that price but obviously as a got more work and overheads i d have to adjust prices accordingly or is that wrong way to think
You are right about the carry on work8ng thing thats exactly what i was going to do im working 10 hours a day at min with 2 hours drive so as soon as i start i wud take loxal 38 hr a week job so i cud still fit jobs in and weekends

Set your rate and stick to it! Otherwise your customers will only go elsewhere when you up it! Find out what the rates are local to you so you don't go in to cheap!

Crazys givin u some fair advise -& it seems ur covering ur bases quite well.
Everyone starts quite low on the pricing till they find the rate that suits them with their overheads etc. But be carefull not to go to cheep or youll only be working for wages, & you could stay working for someone else for those - youll need to make profit to allow urself to invest in materials & grow.
the only other thing you may wanna think about it getting an account with a supplier now so you can build ur credit rateing up buy buying little & often rather than all in 1 go ( keep ur money handy till u need it & dont buy for the sake of it) then at least if a big job comes ur way u have the ability to hire in if needed rather than leave it till the last min. Good luck in ur effort & dont be a busy fool...be prepared to make money but ffs put some away for a rainy day as your bound to get em.
& finally dont try & be clever & fcuk about with the tax man-get a good accountant to cover ur bases. If your gonna go for cheep cash jobs only ur gonna av to delare some as theyre not stupid & youll end up with a estimated tax bill, & itll be up to you to prove u aint earnt it lol

Good luck with your venture!

If you need any help setting up the company, or tax advice, feel free to give us a shout :).

Just phoned around a few firms local to me and there all charging between 14-18 m so front of a house 20ft 2 lifts 200 - 270 so im about rite suppose its differant rates in wharever part of the country your at

I appreciate having a cheaper rate, but you will have to have a minium job price as if someone asks you for an 8' tower by one lift are you going to drive there twice for £28 - £36??
We won't price anything less than £400

I think the 200 anywhere less than 15 miles from yard is the lowest i will go no matter how small the job i have just set up an account with generation so will buy boards from them they seem goid price 10 a board banded with name on bands will buy small amounts often
They offered me 6000ft of tube for hire to start with but im not going to do that thats a last resort its handy to know tho
All fittings will be bought and boards id never hire them
Im going to take a job in few months close to home so thats when im going to start after my holiday in september in the mean time im going to keep stocking up the kit
Im going to set up an account with esso for fuel aswell
Im going to have a business account set up so my tax comes straight out also
Im going to order some tressels aswell got 16ft youngman board aswell for high lifts
Ive orders some high viz tops with company logo on them orderd 6 extra know a few mates who are on the town so gona give them out for them to wear get the name about b4 i start i no they will were them if there free lol
Sound good ?

---------- Post added at 08:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:05 PM ----------

I think the 200 anywhere less than 15 miles from yard is the lowest i will go no matter how small the job i have just set up an account with generation so will buy boards from them they seem goid price 10 a board banded with name on bands will buy small amounts often
They offered me 6000ft of tube for hire to start with but im not going to do that thats a last resort its handy to know tho
All fittings will be bought and boards id never hire them
Im going to take a job in few months close to home so thats when im going to start after my holiday in september in the mean time im going to keep stocking up the kit
Im going to set up an account with esso for fuel aswell
Im going to have a business account set up so my tax comes straight out also
Im going to order some tressels aswell got 16ft youngman board aswell for high lifts
Ive orders some high viz tops with company logo on them orderd 6 extra know a few mates who are on the town so gona give them out for them to wear get the name about b4 i start i no they will were them if there free lol
Sound good ?

It's a good idea to get you name out there, just don't give branded clothing to people that are going to make a Pratt of them self or give a bad name for yourself, get some letters out to the local company's explains that your a new start and would offer first scaffold at discount rate to prove your workmanship

RHYSBOY all the best for the future IT TAKES SOME BAWS TO GO OUT ON YOUR OWN
Thanks to the forum you have had some great advise and no doubt it will continue if and when it is needed.
The forum has its knockers but this thread and a few others in the job section are second to none ALTHOUGH I DO LOVE THE LIGHTER SIDE OF THE FORUM AS WELL;)

Im giving the tshirts out mainly so there seen about the area before i start ou im not going to be starting till end of sep so when do you think i should send the letters out ?
Im in the middle of designing a logo so once i get that sorted im going to print of a load of headed letters and business cards should i send them out a month before im ready to start ? Dont want to get lots of calls when im not really ready to go .
I will follow up all calls with a phone call my wife will do that tho shes gona be my receptionist lol ...

If you're going to do streetworks you'll need New Roads and Streets qualifications Signing, lighting, guarding and Excavation and Reinstatement and Public Liability Insurance of £5,000,000 and Employers of £10,000,000 to be an approved contractor or they won't grant permits.

Looks like i will leave the streetworks alone then tbh there the last sort of jobs id be looking at at the moment im not going to make the mistake of paying out of my arse without a run of work in front of me

Top Bottom