Starting my own firm.

Running a scaffolding company as I've told many people in the past is more of a vocation than a job like a farmer or probably any other business, you either give it your all or don't bother starting....

When times are good they can be very good, but when things get bad your stood on your own and it can seem as if the whole world is against you. (believe me I've been there) as most owners here have been.

Thing is though, if you have faith in your ability to create the leads, give your customers a good reliable service you will flourish eventually, just don't think it'll happen over night, I've been trading for over twenty years and, like someone else said in an earlier post I know nothing else.......

Is it worth the hard work, sleepless nights at times, long hours..........
I wouldn't change it, any of it, for anything.....

Wouldn't like to start over now though..:laugh::laugh:

I've been going for 2 years now, love and hate it at times, all I seem to do is buy gear, more gear and more gear, 55 k in the last year, always in my overdraft and constantly chasing money, hopefully in another 3 or 4 years I might see some money for myself

I've been going for 2 years now, love and hate it at times, all I seem to do is buy gear, more gear and more gear, 55 k in the last year, always in my overdraft and constantly chasing money, hopefully in another 3 or 4 years I might see some money for myself

Don't bank on it buddy, I'm still doing the same thing:D:D:D

With the economy picking up hopefully it will get better for both of you. Keep fighting the steel gents....

What about running as pick up and hiring gear you need, whats the chances of that making you a wage ??

the more you hire the longer it takes to gain maximum profit, but then some of us started with nothing and so we do what we have to do

Hiring is a money pit , unless you have no choice avoid it like the plague if you really cant avoid hiring then avoid hiring the boards as thats what cost the money.

I have a bit of gear on hire, (not a lot), as Phil correctly states above the boards are the killer. I'm picking up secondhand boards at the mo for £5 each and good quality too. Hire wise it's a penny a fitting and 1p a foot on tube so not too bad for us when you weigh up the cost of gear!

A firm round my way hire boards that are A grade and a month later sends back B/C grade boards with a lick of paint... A cheap way to get brand new boards haha.

You've just closed that little loop hole mate. When I started (Three years ago) it was the heart of the recession. I got two credit cards in my own name to the tune of £16k the ones where you buy what you need interest free and have 18 months before you have to pay them back, and did it like that, its free money for 18 months with no repayments. I also concentrated on Solar jobs as they were a quick turn around but a bit unreliable when it came to paying. Always remember you can undercut anybody if its just you and a labourer, and if you have nothing on , do a job for cost as its better than doing nothing at all. You'll be ok , I'm guessing you're from "The Borough"

You've just closed that little loop hole mate. When I started (Three years ago) it was the heart of the recession. I got two credit cards in my own name to the tune of £16k the ones where you buy what you need interest free and have 18 months before you have to pay them back, and did it like that, its free money for 18 months with no repayments. I also concentrated on Solar jobs as they were a quick turn around but a bit unreliable when it came to paying. Always remember you can undercut anybody if its just you and a labourer, and if you have nothing on , do a job for cost as its better than doing nothing at all. You'll be ok , I'm guessing you're from "The Borough"

Thanks Dangeruss I'm not from Boro Though, I hate Smog:D

My advice would be to stay well clear of overdrafts, loans etc start small build slowly one step at a time, Build a business on good solid foundations ready to last decades.

Sorry about bumping a bit of an old thread.

A question for the owners out there, how much of a cash investment did you make to get started? Includes materials/vehicles/storage of materials and any other costs. Also how much cash did you keep aside for running cost?

I know everyone will be different and there's a lot of variables, just want to hear from all owners from recent start ups to the long established. I appreciate all your input so far.

Cheers Gents

2k and borrowed mates shed of a pickup and my mum garage

5k for a wagon, 6k of gear and around 2k setting up costs etc.. Never had my hand out of my pocket since. Always buying more gear :-/

1500, tranisit 4k on gear 1k setting up running out of my garden me and my boy looking back probably earn not a lot less than we are now with 3, wagons and a half back paid out near on 3,5k in maintance on them this year.

I've decided to bring the start date forward to this summer other than the normal local adds etc, how did you go about creating your leads and forming a client base?

Cheers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom