Starting my own firm.

wrm84

Reaction score
It's been a long term plan of mine to start my own firm, for various reasons such as I'm tired of making money for someone else, and I've worked away for most of my working life and I want to see my kids grow up. I've got about a year or so left on the job I'm on now, so I'm looking at a 2015 start up as I see it I have 2 options either start from scratch I have a family member who started his own firm and has done very well. Very well. He has given me a lot of advice. But what I really want is some advice on buying a small firm that I can relocate to my local area has anyone done this, and can tell me the pros and cons?

Cheers gents.

Don't bother buying a firm, start your own, with your own ideas and a blank canvas.

if you buy a firm to relocate ,your only buying a lorry and plant, you cant take the customers with you, further more customers have no loyalty, it is massively expensive to start a .scaffolding firm. good luck. (retired owner)

Good luck to you, with all the regulations & h&s requirements along with employment rules & new realtime tax & cis laws & inflated ppl for new companies along with vosa & dvla to contend witht aint that easy anymore if you want to do it all properly u aint gonna get much change outta 50k+ for a new start up.
& the prob with buying an exhisting company it will come with all its debts as well- i dont think many people wish to sell a buisiness which will be as successfull as they may be promising you it is. So you'll only really be paying top doller for its materials etc, just because they have a good client base doesnt mean they will stay with you.
i certainley wouldnt want to start all over again - better stay employed with a good wage & get a small truck & some gear & do privates till you can build urself up gradually.

Good luck to you, with all the regulations & h&s requirements along with employment rules & new realtime tax & cis laws & inflated ppl for new companies along with vosa & dvla to contend witht aint that easy anymore if you want to do it all properly u aint gonna get much change outta 50k+ for a new start up.
& the prob with buying an exhisting company it will come with all its debts as well- i dont think many people wish to sell a buisiness which will be as successfull as they may be promising you it is. So you'll only really be paying top doller for its materials etc, just because they have a good client base doesnt mean they will stay with you.
i certainley wouldnt want to start all over again - better stay employed with a good wage & get a small truck & some gear & do privates till you can build urself up gradually.

Absolute spot on,and it's not going to get any easier anytime soon.

Wise words SP.
Bet theres been 1 or 2 days you've felt like fuucking it off..??

More than 1 or 2 den lol but tbh when things are good they really are good.
& after 15 years running now has given me a standard of living i wouldnt av had in any other circumstances. But as any owner opperator on here will tell you, it really aint as cracked up as it used to be, & a bit like a fisherman ur allways waiting for the next big fish to take a bite.
but after so many years in the job-theres fvckall else i k ow wot to do lol & some'll say i dont do this well anyway ;) - but my advantage is my son who is my right arm & takes a lot off the daily pressure off my shoulders -& so he should -he was a lazy little fvck for the first 21years of his life,
& oneday he'll be the one with high blood pressure while i'm sitting in the sun sipping cocktails :toung: ( or living on George Turner street watchin my 70"tv & sipping strogbrew)

Last edited:
He he nice one.
I realy wouldnt want the pressure, i'll leave that to my superiors lol, i'll just keep twirling and earning just need extra weekend work to keep me busy.

He he nice one.
I realy wouldnt want the pressure, i'll leave that to my superiors lol, i'll just keep twirling and earning just need extra weekend work to keep me busy.

Now i know ur fibbing - u cant do any work - ur on here all the time;):D:love:

Nah m8 acvordin to judge judy earlier its only slanderous if it aint true lol

You need to get out more....fecking judge judy.....lol lol. Next thing you'll tell me dickinson is covered in fake tan....he he

Cheers chaps I'm fully aware of the pressures involved,I come from a family of Scaffs and they hold prominent positions in the industry and they cast a large shadow. It something I want to do. I've had a lock up for a while where I keep the gear I've been acquiring over a number of years. HSE regs etc I will have covered. Just wanted to know if anyone had bought anyone out and relocated the business, I know the clients wouldn't follow me.
I know it's a daunting task and not easy or everyone would be doing it. I appreciate the comments.

Thanks Gents.

Any time pal...sorry me and SP got side tracked on your thread.....biitch when that happens....lol lol

All the best in your venture pal

I was only sitting there today thinking to my self what is it all about had 2 wagons down this week had **** off customer having a go as jobs not done, all the crap weather we have had and you are drying to catch up, but like someone said no customer loyalty money all tied up in kit do your head in sometimes but when they are good they are good just get you down sometimes also make you laugh when people think all scaffold company have to pay is wages.

Cheers chaps I'm fully aware of the pressures involved,I come from a family of Scaffs and they hold prominent positions in the industry and they cast a large shadow. It something I want to do. I've had a lock up for a while where I keep the gear I've been acquiring over a number of years. HSE regs etc I will have covered. Just wanted to know if anyone had bought anyone out and relocated the business, I know the clients wouldn't follow me.
I know it's a daunting task and not easy or everyone would be doing it. I appreciate the comments.

Thanks Gents.

I would start from scratch mate and build the business yourself.

Wrm84,SP has nailed it with his earlier post,i've had the good times and the bad,it really is a tough and lonely old game at times,i've carried my company for the last 3 yrs on my own back and this January really had me questioning my own sanity,no work,no money,no prospect,then on the turn of a sixpence it's all change,within a week i'm now having to refuse big work that I would have given my right one for the week before and we've a healthy future again,the tide has turned(hopefully)but i'll still sell you a company with a healthy order book if you want,dont know how you'll relocate the yard and order book though lol;)ps,where's the Friday night slagging thread?:laugh:

Thought ud been off the forum for a while steve- we're the same with the diary & once the rain stops long enough for the brickies to lay we're gonna be run ragged so theres no way i'd lay anyone off but getting tired of putting my savings back into the kitty to keep tickin over.

Thanks Gents.

Are you related to Dave Mosley?

I dont entirely agree with not buying in to a company, i can see it has some advantages especially if you can get a partnership that works well together. I often find myself doing 3-4 separate jobs at once and to have someone there who is as dedicated to the company as i am would be good. Also the fact there is any customer base would be a big bonus, most companies struggle for their first few years. Wouldn't it be better to join a company and bring with you fresh custom and new ideas.

But i cant stress enough the kind of pressure you are put under running your own company is 24hrs a day 7 days a week.

Plenty of help on these forums though

Top Bottom